YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Pre 84 Trucks (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114/)
-   -   Cold idle issue. Advice needed. (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114/cold-idle-issue-advice-needed-305313/)

95yoda 08-08-2018 05:20 PM

Cold idle issue. Advice needed.

Hey guys.
So the truck is running good but when you first start it up for the day it does not want to idle. It just idles down until it dies.
but if you drive even a mile or two it will idle then.

ideas? Something with the auto choke?

L5wolvesf 08-08-2018 05:45 PM

22R or 22RE - if carb which one?

95yoda 08-09-2018 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf (Post 52405233)
22R or 22RE - if carb which one?

82 4wd. Carb. Stock Toyota non Calif model

L5wolvesf 08-09-2018 05:39 AM

Have you adjusted the choke and or idle? Pics are real helpful since we aren't there.

95yoda 08-09-2018 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf (Post 52405261)
Have you adjusted the choke and or idle? Pics are real helpful since we aren't there.

No, neither have been touched.

a picture of the carb?

I will look in my manuals to see the steps needed to adjust the choke and/or idle.

L5wolvesf 08-09-2018 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by 95yoda (Post 52405277)
No, neither have been touched.

a picture of the carb?

I will look in my manuals to see the steps needed to adjust the choke and/or idle.

I would be fine if you posted pics of nekkid women but the site won't allow that so . . .
Yes the carb and your engine bay just for fun.
also,
When was your last tune/maintenance work done?

95yoda 08-09-2018 07:04 PM

I just adjusted the valves but this issue was happening before that.

I'm now wondering if pumping it 3 times before starting is not the right thing to do during summer? I always pumped 3 times during winter but now I wonder?

13Swords 08-10-2018 06:56 AM

If your carb & choke are working right there is no need for 3 pumps before starting cold, regardless of season; 1 pump full to the floor & release should be enough. Multiple pumps could actually disengage the choke, which would explain the garbage idle at start up. Try the 1 pump thing first to see if that solves your problem.

If you have the stock carb you should have an electric choke. Make sure the wire to it is connected/hooked up properly. Could be that simple. You should also check that the choke plate closes when you give it that 1 pump cold (plate in carb throat closes, you have to have the air cleaner off to see this). If it doesn't then either the choke needs adjusting or replacement.

95yoda 08-10-2018 04:18 PM

So this morning I went out and took air cleaner cover off and checked. The choke plate was already closed. So I did one pump to the floor and checked again. Still closed. Fired right up and went into high idle. That's good.

How long do you guys let it stay in high idle before stabbing the gas to take it out of high idle? I let it out after like 90sec and it wasn't enough as it kinda idled but choppy and a bit low. I guess it needs high idle around 3min?
I noticed the choke plate was a bit sticky so I hit it nice with carb cleaner all around both plates and inside etc. No more stick. It should be good now.

L5wolvesf 08-11-2018 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by 95yoda (Post 52405336)
How long do you guys let it stay in high idle before stabbing the gas to take it out of high idle? I let it out after like 90sec and it wasn't enough as it kinda idled but choppy and a bit low. I guess it needs high idle around 3min?

2 pumps and mine is usually fired up and running - then a rev or 2 to to smooth it out then I go. I do not kick it off of the choke / high idle. In warm/hot weather it drops off within a minute or 2, about a mile or so. Cold weather is different and I need to address that since my truck doesn't warm up much.

13Swords 08-12-2018 08:02 AM

Glad to hear it's better. Cleaning the choke with carb cleaner is always a good idea. Mine is like L5wolvesf except I only need 1 pump, hot or cold weather. Mine will not kick down to low idle until the choke mechanism warms up some anyways, again a minute or 2 in summer, prolly 4 or 5 minutes in winter. I've got a 20R with the "water choke" that works off of coolant temperature. 22R's have an electrically heated choke mechanism. I also don't have my high idle set to the ridiculous Toyota spec of 2400 RPM, but 1800. I can drive it when it's still in high idle with no problem.