Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Clutch diagnosis and carb rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch diagnosis and carb rebuild questions

Looking to buy my first Toyota being a 1983 22r manual trans 4x4. It does not run because of a bad starter and I was told the clutch needs to be replaced. Assuming the best case scenario that it will run , I assume these carburetors would be an issue with reliability. Everywhere I look online outlines how much of a pain the butt they are to rebuild... Does anyone have any good input/ write ups on the tear down and rebuild of one of these carbs?
Also, the symptoms of the clutch being bad are that it will only go into first gear. Owner says there was no symptoms leading up to this, no gear grinding. Just cant put the shifter into first. The master cylinder did have fluid. To me this sounds like master or slave cylinder issue rather than clutch or possibly a bent/broken shifter fork???? Also , how do I find out if it a l50 or l52 trans?
Old 07-09-2013, 03:52 PM

If it won't go into one particular gear while the trucks not running it has nothing to do with the clutch, and you have to look at the model number under the hood to see what tranny it came with the carbs not really a reliability issue its just old and complicated
how ro rebiuld the carb video part 1theres at least 6parts
Tranny identification
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/parts/

Last edited by Stetson_md; 07-09-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:55 PM

Great thanks!
What source would you recommend for a rebuild kit? I dont want some ebay knockoff...
Old 07-09-2013, 07:37 PM

Also, the last two transmissions I rebuilt had alot of aftermatket support for upgraded parts. Steal shifter forks and keys, better sycros ... are there particular week points on these transmissions? Is there a company that offers better parts?
Old 07-10-2013, 12:16 AM

Marlin crawler for transmission parts and the weak points depend on the tranny you have
I've always gone to auto zone for seals /rebuild kits they offer a lifetime warranty on almost everything
Old 07-10-2013, 06:18 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Lifetime warranty doesn't feel very good when you're rebuilding a tranny 5 or 6 times over the life of your truck, though...

Autozone sucks. I would only buy from them if I knew who made the parts they're selling me, and knew I trusted the quality. Autozone does not specialize in quality parts.

It's like aftermarket starters...Yah! Lifetime warranty! And I need to use it about once every two years...

Anyway, autozone doesn't sell all crap, but like I said, unless you know what brand they're selling you, I wouldn't just trust it. And with something like a tranny...do you really want to be dropping and taking apart the tranny multiple times, even if the parts are free?

My opinion.

Marlin sells quality kits. Probably lots of other people do, too. I wouldn't just go to your typical Walmart-style autoparts store for this kind of kit, though.

Carbs are plenty reliable, they just need more occaisional adjustments. If you know how to adjust them, they do fine, and actually allow you to do roadside repairs if something goes wrong, which is more than I can say for fuel injection.

Not going into first...could always be a bent shift fork, or other tranny issue. If it goes into all other gears just fine, I would lean away from a clutch issue, but you never know. There's a lot going on there, and sometimes it's surprising what ends up being the issue...
Old 07-10-2013, 11:27 AM

I'd take the lifetime warranty and use the money I saved to buy tools that make the job easier. Except on things that are difficult yet inexpensive to fix but everybody has there own way of doing thongs you know
Edit: I also hate waiting for parts to come in

Last edited by Stetson_md; 07-10-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:04 PM

I hear ya! Waiting for parts sucks. Escpecially since this will be my daily driver. I'll have to drop the trans either way so I may just replace the seals while I'm at it assuming the trans is fine. For some reason I can't get anything to pull up using the search. Even the most common words bring back nothing. It might be my phone...
Do you have a good carb tuning article?
Old 07-10-2013, 02:17 PM

I don't really have a article on it but you want to warm up the engine then play with the idle and air fuel till it idles at 750 revs quick and has plenty of take off power. Generally if its lean it'll rev quick but have no power and if its rich it'll bog down when you try to rev have very little power and smoke a bit. And then you can probably do spark plug color checks to fine tune it. But if you don't have a good running yota to compare it too it'd probably be best to take it to someone who does

Last edited by Stetson_md; 07-10-2013 at 02:19 PM.