Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Build suggestions for a 22r

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build suggestions for a 22r

I've got a 22r from a donor rig that has 35,000 original miles on it. Starts easily, idles smooth, runs great. I am starting to entertain the thought of what, if anything I should do to the motor. Super or turbo charger, propane, basic rebuild, full blown overhaul, or just stick it in the replacement truck and drive. Thoughts? I just posted pictures of the trucks in the picture thread, but here's one again...
Old 09-19-2017, 07:00 AM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
With only 35k, drive the stock engine until a rebuild is necessary, then do mods. That may very well be a long time if maintained. Enjoy
Old 09-19-2017, 06:29 PM

I would check the title. It may have been rolled over once. I bought a 1980 a few years back with 72xxx and it was actually 172xxx. That being said you can never go wrong with a cam, header and a muffler with good flow.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:58 AM

All original, no accidents. I know the original owner. Paid him 600 for the whole truck.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Lons81
With only 35k, drive the stock engine until a rebuild is necessary, then do mods. That may very well be a long time if maintained. Enjoy
This is probably right. But to expand a bit . . .
Compression test on the 35k motor, while its in a running vehicle, to get it's true condition. Presuming it is good do as Lon says, you could add externals (exhaust system, Weber) to it if you want.
But what is the condition of the other motor? It could be your rebuild project if it needs it.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:16 AM

I agree with testing and keeping it mostly stock. Hard to mess with a good thing. The motor it is replacing ran when it was parked a few years ago, but it wasn't original and the previous swap seemed like a hack job. So I plan on either selling that motor once pulled, or can blow it out with all the performance upgrades and see what happens.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a loaded question. A lot depends on what you goals and budget are.

if the motor is in good mechanical condition just drop a small cam in and good intake/exhaust when you install her.

propane is great for trail rigs and guys with easy access to it. However your not going to be able to take full advantage of it with out raising the compression.

Forced induction on any engine is tricky. At first it may seem simple and your NA motor may run perfect but trust me when I say a few pounds of pressure will find any weakness in valve seats or rings and make life painful. Not saying you can't successfully boost a used 22R because many have with success. Just understand your going to need to address things you would never think about like crank case ventilation and keeping the oil temp down.

The 22R is no power house but benefits well from basic bolt ons and good maintance. Keep it simple and enjoy it.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:36 PM

Toyota engine mods

I've been very happy with my stroked 22R that was built by TCR in Tucson using LC Engineering parts. Check out their web site. You'll drool all over your keyboard.