Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Anyone ever purchase one of these rebuilt carbs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone ever purchase one of these rebuilt carbs?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/AISAN-STYLE-CARBURETOR-TOY-505-TOYOTA-PICKUP-22R-1981-1987-W-GREEN-ROUND-PLUG-/231588581379?nav=SEARCH
I was wondering if anyone ever bought one of these and had any pros and cons about them. I rebuilt my stock carb but I'm still plagued with hard starts and running rough after warm up even after full tune up and fuel filter and pump.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:29 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
These are not rebuilt Japanese carbs, they are brand new chinese knockoffs. Purchase at your own risk.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The headline for the ad stopped me cold - AISAN "STYLE" CARBURETOR.
It couuuuld be fine, but would run far away from that one.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:35 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
I have no experience with them, but have heard both good and bad things about them.

I personally would not buy one unless it was my last resort. The casting on this carburetor does not give me much confidence especially the main body.

Hopefully someone who has purchased one of these will share their experience.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:12 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
As more and more time goes by, I'm more and more one of those "just get a Weber" guys. I didn't used to be.

But I've had serious trouble trying to rebuild carbs myself. And I've had serious trouble with well known, professional rebuilders. These carbs are old. Webers are new.

But yeah, if you do end up getting it, a review sometime down the road would be nice.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by 83
As more and more time goes by, I'm more and more one of those "just get a Weber" guys. I didn't used to be.

But I've had serious trouble trying to rebuild carbs myself. And I've had serious trouble with well known, professional rebuilders. These carbs are old. Webers are new.

But yeah, if you do end up getting it, a review sometime down the road would be nice.
Thanks for the responses guys!!

I'm still on the fence as what to do. I really don't want to go with a Weber since I already rebuilt the stock carb and bought a new fuel pump which I'd do away with using a Weber carb. I even thought about sourcing a good used carb and going that route, but they are hard to come by. If I do decide to get one I'll be sure to give an update.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 77lubr
I already rebuilt the stock carb . . . .
Did you reuse any of the old parts vs new parts in the rebuild kit? Like a jet for instance?
Old 03-14-2017, 09:09 AM

I bought one, and you know where it is now? It's in the trash. I have a rebuilt 83 carb for sale but seriously get a Weber. It's the end all solution
Old 03-14-2017, 10:53 AM

Well...we all justify and rationalize things in our way, but let me just, with the limited information I have, pick apart your rationalizations

You already rebuilt your carb. But it's giving you trouble. If you're looking at a rebuilt carb online, then you've already contradicted the first reason you gave for not getting a Weber. If you're willing to give up on your rebuilt carb and buy one online, there's no difference, other than price and quality, between that and a Weber.

Fuel pumps are cheap. Is a new fuel pump any reason to continue dealing with a poorly functioning carb, or to buy a cheap Chinese replica? In addition to that, you just need a fuel pressure regulator between the pump and carb, and problem solved.

But I'm the first to admit that many of the reasons I do things don't have anything to do with rational thought and in fact go against good, rational advice people give me, so I think no one will blame you for doing whatever you want with your truck and your life.

Just wanted to point those things out for you.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by 83
Well...we all justify and rationalize things in our way, but let me just, with the limited information I have, pick apart your rationalizations

You already rebuilt your carb. But it's giving you trouble. If you're looking at a rebuilt carb online, then you've already contradicted the first reason you gave for not getting a Weber. If you're willing to give up on your rebuilt carb and buy one online, there's no difference, other than price and quality, between that and a Weber.

Fuel pumps are cheap. Is a new fuel pump any reason to continue dealing with a poorly functioning carb, or to buy a cheap Chinese replica? In addition to that, you just need a fuel pressure regulator between the pump and carb, and problem solved.

But I'm the first to admit that many of the reasons I do things don't have anything to do with rational thought and in fact go against good, rational advice people give me, so I think no one will blame you for doing whatever you want with your truck and your life.

Just wanted to point those things out for you.
I appreciate your insight, but I've had Webers in the past. Decent for around town, but SUCKED off-road IMO. This will be a 75% trail rig.

I was even tossing around putting a factory EFI setup in my truck. I have a motor on a stand waiting to swap on the parts, but now I'm getting WAYYYY ahead of myself.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
EFI beats any carb in the world for off road, but......

Have you considered propane???
Old 03-14-2017, 02:25 PM

Gotcha. I never did the kind of off roading where that stuff really starts to matter, so I don't know that side of it.

I had a Weber on my 78 Toyota motorhome and it was really, really nice for all the highway driving and around town driving. That thing spent plenty of time off road, too, but not crawling, obviously.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 77lubr
http://m.ebay.com/itm/AISAN-STYLE-CARBURETOR-TOY-505-TOYOTA-PICKUP-22R-1981-1987-W-GREEN-ROUND-PLUG-/231588581379?nav=SEARCH
I was wondering if anyone ever bought one of these and had any pros and cons about them. I rebuilt my stock carb but I'm still plagued with hard starts and running rough after warm up even after full tune up and fuel filter and pump.
I have a 88 toyota and I bought a Toy 505 by mistake and I had so many problems because it was with the round green plug. I cut the plug and put a square one but it was not a fix. I got so frustrated with is and I ended up buying the toy 507 the right one from national carburetors and man it runs smooth and no problems.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cheap Chinese knockoff...what could go wrong?

Had original carb redone by a known good guy, (he had rebuilt it many years ago when the first owner needed help) third time around didn't turn out good.
The knockoff was the only carb he could find to replace mine, tried it new...nope, then he reused the old bottom plate (CA smog), nope, had a lot of problems, he did what he could and it had air leaks, adjustment problems, float problems, he had to make a custom pin for the float level, it was a bucket of fertilizer with problems.

I thought I found one new for $440 (or close), after a few weeks, it came up as out of stock...dang, I would have paid the price.

After months of failed smog checks (5), had to have a super shop redo everything, about a grand later, some new parts, it finally passed.
Had good results on other trucks with National Carb.

My real thought's about the knockoff? Don't bother...
My fix solution?
1) National Carb
2) EFI
3) New 2021 Cement DC SR5 V6 made in SA/TX

I chose door number 3
Platinum protection on everything, no touchin' it for 8 years. (I'm disabled)
Complete Stratus tint sure helps.
Had dealer do first oil change at 751 miles, second at 1499 miles, all break in particules' removed...all is well.
Happy Holidays!
The following users liked this post:
millball (12-16-2021)