YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Pre 84 Trucks (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114/)
-   -   83 toyota pickup wont turn over. (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114/83-toyota-pickup-wont-turn-over-216381/)

chuckbrofasho 07-18-2010 09:00 PM

83 toyota pickup wont turn over.

Hey guys, i have an 83 toyota pickup regular cab 4x4 2.4L. I bought my truck a few weeks ago with this problem that has become very annoying and stumping my brain.

I have come to post this because i have found nothing on here to fix this problem and have run out of ideas. So here is my problem. So every so often i will go to start my truck and when i turn the key, nothing happens, and i mean nothing, no clicks, no sound of the starter turning. just nothing. i have replaced the starter and it started right up, but this did not fix the problem, "the problem continued to happen later that day. i then replaced my battery and made sure it was fully charged. i also checked the alternator and it was giving 16volt to the battery when the truck was idling. i then replaced the ignition switch and this seemed to fix the problem for a few days then it started gradually happening more times and more frequently.

i believe that the problem is something to do with the ignition system because of the fact that the engine doesn't even turn over. i have an alarm on the truck and the last time "the problem" happened i disconnected the alarm and that fixed nothing. usually i just bump start my truck if this happens and it runs fine and usually will start up again using the key, when i get to my destination, sometimes not. if anyone could give me some tips to diagnosing this problem that would be greatly appreciated. i also have the wiring diagrams to reference too. thanks in advance to any help.

1981 yota 07-18-2010 09:03 PM

are you battery terminals clean

chuckbrofasho 07-18-2010 09:30 PM

brand new battery with ground and positive connectors. re-stripped the wires, put on the fabric rings with the goo for anti corrosion on the posts.

1981 yota 07-18-2010 09:32 PM

oh i only say new battery

chuckbrofasho 07-18-2010 09:43 PM

it seems everytime i replace something my problem will go away for a litttle bit (1hr.- 2days) but it always comes back.

85gijunk4x4 07-18-2010 09:51 PM

you should try bypassing you security thingy.

when you go to start your truck do the dash lights come on?

chuckbrofasho 07-18-2010 10:27 PM

i unplugged the whole unit, like the alarm was disabled not just in the unlocked mode. and it still had the problem when i tried to start it. the brake, battery, etc lights come on when ii turn the key on yes, also i on my volt meter, when i go to crank the motor the battery volts drop from 12 to about 10. but still nothing happens, just silence.

85gijunk4x4 07-18-2010 10:33 PM

sounds likea safety feature that disengages the starter, like the clutch or neutral/park switch or something.

if it was a starter problem you'd hear something, so my guess is somewhere along the line theres a short or something and juice aint gettin to the starter

chuckbrofasho 07-18-2010 11:04 PM

what would make it so sporadic though, it is completely random when it happens.

85gijunk4x4 07-19-2010 08:17 AM

im thinking maybe a wire is loose, or a wire broke, and when the wire gets jociled(sp?) it will seperate, and then eventually make contact again. did you check the wires on the starter? because if the bolts came loose on the starter it would make sense, the wires can loose contoct with the starter, but not fall completly off, all the have to do is move about 1/8 of an inch and they could gain contact again. this never happened to me so i could be wrong but i guess my theroy is logical?

dropzone 07-19-2010 08:27 AM

check the nut where the positive cable attaches to the starter..
and or just replace the cables...

4x4Yota86 07-19-2010 08:50 AM

I have the exact same problem with mine. I just ran a direct cable from my battery to my starter. Ran the cable inside my truck and put a switch on it in a hidden location. So when I encounter this problem, like two to three time a week on a good week. I hit those cables and boom were on our way

chuckbrofasho 07-19-2010 10:36 AM

there isnt a "cable" that just tightens up too to starter, its a wire with a clip on it and the clip goes into its hole on the starter. and it looking like im going to have to do that haha well hopefully someone has ran into this and fixed it.

4x4Yota86 07-19-2010 10:44 AM

Sorry was not clear ealier, I ran a wire from the battery to the inside of my truck to a switch and out to the starter. So when it does not start with the key. I just leave the ignition switch on and hit my home made switch which give the starter electricity directly from the battery.

chuckbrofasho 07-19-2010 01:50 PM

oh i thought you ment it was a switch that started the motor at all times. even without a key, thats not a bad idea at all. if i cant find the problem this week im gonna have too try that out and see if i like it and atleast keep it until i re-do all the electrical throughout the truck(once the current engine gets replaced/rebuilt.

plumo57 07-19-2010 01:59 PM

I have an 86 pu. Not sure how similar it is to an 83, but i had the same problem, and it turned out the relay was bad. It only failed some of the time, but i replaced it and haven't had a problem since.

toyotabull 07-19-2010 02:05 PM

Do you have a relay in the under hood box, I cant remember right now being i am off shore, but I ll look at mine when i get home and let you know. Unless someone else looks into it. Have the same problem with mine after it sets for 3 weeks. Now it has a push button mounted under the dash. Good luck.

toyotabull 07-19-2010 02:06 PM

plumo57, you beat me to it. Had to look it up at autozone.com

chuckbrofasho 07-19-2010 03:52 PM

According to the schematic there are only two physical components before the starter and after the ignition which could be causing it. that relay you mentioned is one of them (starter relay) and a "clutch start switch". i was thinking it was that relay but i couldn't find it for the life of me. if anyone knows a somewhat exact position of it or even a general idea would help immensely. thanks for all of your help guys! i'm new at trying to work on cars for myself and any help, helps lol

85gijunk4x4 07-19-2010 05:15 PM

maybe its the selenoid?

when somone above mentioned the push button switch, i just remembered the p/o telling me the ignitin switch was bad so he put in a push button... it fixed itself and works now so the switch is just hangin there...