Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

82/22r Runs fine one moment an dies the next

Old 09-10-2013, 06:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
82/22r Runs fine one moment an dies the next

So I have an 82 yota 22r motor.
It will start drive an run like a champ... then out of no where it wont, it will be jumpy in acceleration like its missing, and if I let it down to an idol it will die. This will go on for any where from a min to ten minutes. Then it will run like a bat out of hell again...

I've replaced the spark plugs an distributor. wires are up next.
But it really seems like something is changing the timing at the wrong time.
choke opening or closing when it should maybe?

Btw; I have a nice hole in the exhaust between the 02 sensor and cad.

Anybody know something off the top of their head that could get me in the right area??
Old 09-10-2013, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check a few of these threads out:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...tumped-210263/

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/81...-solenoid.html

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...my-22r-258571/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...tumped-210263/
Old 09-11-2013, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Go the easy route first and check the fuel filters. I had the exact same problem that was clogged by debris and rust scale building up in my fuel filters after running and normal driving RPMs for 10-15 minutes. I could stop the truck for about a half hour and it would run fine again for 10-15 minutes. My problem was caused by the constant flow of fuel slowly building up debris in the fuel filters until it clogged. When I stopped for a while, the debris would settle and release the clog.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by delmert
It will start drive an run like a champ... then out of no where it wont, it will be jumpy in acceleration like its missing, and if I let it down to an idol it will die.

Anybody know something off the top of their head that could get me in the right area??
Ideally, when it is running terrible, look at the fuel level in the float bowl via the sight-glass. If the fuel filter is causing a fuel starvation issue that will show up as a very low fuel level.

You may need two people to check the fuel level, one to keep the throttle up and you to check the fuel level.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:15 PM

thx for all the quick replies... Just got off work some now I got some more ideas to start with... auto parts store time...

On a side note it ran perfectly fine all yesterday.. All I did was check all the vacuum lines an making sure the choke wasn't sticking... however today she ran like a** a couple of different times....

Hopefully I find the culprit.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:32 PM

thx for the threads tditoyota.

Now when you guys say the fuel is visible through the sight glass what are you referring too?

The see-through fuel filter?
I watched the filter while the truck was idling normal an it was about half full.
Then watched it while it was running like crap an wouldn't idea an it was the same level... I cant seem to figure out what causes it to act up. There is no patter....

I sprayed break cleaner around all the vacuum lines... no effects.
I cleaned up my carbs with some cleaner an replaced the fuel filter anyways (looks better with a white one)
Degreases my motor an made it shiny again while I was at it

Well I drove around the block an she purrs like a kitten...
We'll see what tomorrow brings
Old 09-12-2013, 05:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by delmert
Now when you guys say the fuel is visible through the sight glass what are you referring too?
Name:  IMAG0086_zps9f6abc5f.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  45.0 KB

Typically I believe the fuel level on the carburetor (front side of it) is supposed to be no higher and no lower than the two phillips head screws on the sight glass. In my picture you can see its at the bottom of the screws.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:38 PM

Your welcome delmert. I recently went through pretty much the same exact thing as you. What it ended up being, was my fuel cut-off solenoid. I just clipped the white wire with black stripe coming from the solenoid, and spliced it to a wire I connected to my negative battery post. She works like a charm now.

I originally went through the emissions computer, all the grounding wires and the connector for the carb and cleaned them all up and sprayed contact cleaner on all of them. It fixed the problem for a bit, but it just came back today. So like I said in the first paragraph, I just hooked the wire up to the battery, and I haven't been able to recreate the symptoms again. I'm hoping it's a permanent fix.

I live in Oregon, which mandates all gasoline has to have 10% ethanol. I think that this caused another one of my symptoms as well, which was stumbling and hesitation when I pressed on the gas pedal. So today, I bought
this stuff this stuff
, which so far, seems to have caused the hesitation to go away. Again, we'll see if it's a permanent fix.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:55 PM

I'm having a similar issue with my '84 22R truck.

TDIToyota I'm curious about your fuel cutoff solenoid fix. Do you have any more info or pics of it?

I've replaced the fuel filter twice, filled it full of fresh gas, rebuilt the carb and I'm still having intermittent issues of it dying and won't restart when its warmed up after a drive.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:48 PM

Sorry I hadnt got back one here... didnt realize my email needed to be updated. An its getting to cold for the bike... Havent messed with it to much lately... Since I cleaned up everything an changed the filter it seems to run better for longer before it runs like ˟˟˟˟.
So I havent had it running bad back at the house yet...
Running fine right now and the fuel level in the sight glass its about the top. I have the idol turned up a but higher then I reckon it should be..
Old 09-23-2013, 02:14 PM

I would definitely change the fuel filter that was my problem and it is the.same your describing
Old 09-23-2013, 02:17 PM

Do you have a weber or factory aisin
Old 09-23-2013, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by catfish21
I would definitely change the fuel filter that was my problem and it is the.same your describing
I changed the filter last time I was really messing around with it.

I've been messing around with it tonight but its been running fine all evening of course... Fuel level in the sight glass is at the very top too
Old 09-23-2013, 02:34 PM

Just the stock 31 yr old aisin.
I've only had the truck since the begging of the yr.
50k miles on it she runs pretty good.
But after that cold late winter we had she started actin up on an off