Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

22r runs bad climbing

Old 05-20-2018, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r runs bad climbing

Hey everyone,
I have a 1982 4x4 22r truck with around 210k miles, around 4k on a rebuilt motor. Truck is on 33s with stock gearing.

My problem is this: whenever i take my truck on the local trails around here, I start to get a rough ugly idle after climbing for half an hour or longer. For example, yesterday I took my truck up the the top of the summit of Highway 17 (Santa Cruz mountains, with a total change in elevation of about 1500 feet). By the time I was on a fire road the truck was running like crap , it felt like it was on the verge of puttering out and dying, although it never stalled completely. The oil temp looked marginally high as well, although it was far from overheating. Any ideas?

The truck has the stock Aisin carb with CA smog equipment.

Last edited by dropzone; 05-20-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
It helps when the location is filled in on your profile. What elevation are you normally driving at?
Old 05-21-2018, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the reply, I’ll update my profile when I’m at my computer.

Elevation is usually very close to sea level, or a hundred or so above. The trails I drive are go from sea level to 1500 - 2500 feet.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 1983NoiseMachine
Elevation is usually very close to sea level, or a hundred or so above. The trails I drive are go from sea level to 1500 - 2500 feet.
How long after the problem starts does it go away?

Since you mentioned elevation change it may be an HAC valve thing (see attached), but it could also be a fuel issue like float level getting stuck or fuel filter / delivery.
Have you tested any of those?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
HAC Troubleshooting.pdf (634.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 05-21-2018, 05:36 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by 1983NoiseMachine
Hey everyone,
I have a 1982 4x4 22r truck with around 210k miles, around 4k on a rebuilt motor. Truck is on 33s with stock gearing.

My problem is this: whenever i take my truck on the local trails around here, I start to get a rough ugly idle after climbing for half an hour or longer. For example, yesterday I took my truck up the the top of the summit of Highway 17 (Santa Cruz mountains, with a total change in elevation of about 1500 feet). By the time I was on a fire road the truck was running like crap , it felt like it was on the verge of puttering out and dying, although it never stalled completely. The oil temp looked marginally high as well, although it was far from overheating. Any ideas?

The truck has the stock Aisin carb with CA smog equipment.
Does it run good again when you drive back down? or is this more like it runs bad when it gets hot? or when you are going uphill for a while? or after it has run a while?
I have seen faulty gas caps create a vacuum in the fuel tank and starve the engine after running a while. another one was partially plugged fuel lines on a 1980 pickup that starved it out when over 1/2 throttle long enough . That was a tough one, turned out to be curls of green rubber from someone siphoning gas from the truck. They stuck in the fuel line just before the fuel filter because there is no pickup sock in the tank and when they pulled their piece of garden hose out it peeled off the outer coating in little 1/16th inch wide strips. the more times they robbed me of gas the worse the truck ran.
Don't rule anything out too quickly. maybe you just need to blow out the fuel lines and get a locking gas cap.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by akwheeler
Does it run good again when you drive back down? or is this more like it runs bad when it gets hot? or when you are going uphill for a while? or after it has run a while?
I have seen faulty gas caps create a vacuum in the fuel tank and starve the engine after running a while. another one was partially plugged fuel lines on a 1980 pickup that starved it out when over 1/2 throttle long enough . That was a tough one, turned out to be curls of green rubber from someone siphoning gas from the truck. They stuck in the fuel line just before the fuel filter because there is no pickup sock in the tank and when they pulled their piece of garden hose out it peeled off the outer coating in little 1/16th inch wide strips. the more times they robbed me of gas the worse the truck ran.
Don't rule anything out too quickly. maybe you just need to blow out the fuel lines and get a locking gas cap.
akwheeler thanks for the reply, i did in fact have a faulty gas cap! Have yet to find out if that will help but I'm glad to have a found (and solved) a problem!