YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Pre 84 Trucks (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114/)
-   -   20R efi option feeler (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114/20r-efi-option-feeler-138876/)

bkubisht 03-01-2008 06:13 PM

20R efi option feeler

A couple of local guys are looking at making an intake adapter to mate the 22RE intake to a 20R head. The plans are drawn up, CNC shop chosen, and prototype will be made in about a month. It is nearly a bolt-on deal, but not quite. It will require either some external coolant plumbing or using a drill to open the hole in the head between intake 1 & 2 into the water chambers within. The latter is better and simpler, but requires removing the head to avoid metal shavings in the coolant.

We'll probably do before & after dyno runs to quantify gains.

If it works out, we are looking at selling them for about $225 per kit. Question is, would there still be sincere interest in this idea at this price, or is it just too many years ovedue?

rowdy235 03-01-2008 06:14 PM

would it also work with an early model 22r?

Really, if most are like me, we'd like a kit that will let it bolt on, and wire up easily as well.

ozziesironmanoffroad 03-01-2008 06:23 PM

then again its a totally new mod for an engine that is almost 30 years old. i guess it all depends on the area. sounds like a great deal though, good luck!

bkubisht 03-01-2008 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by rowdy235 (Post 50766679)
would it also work with an early model 22r?

Really, if most are like me, we'd like a kit that will let it bolt on, and wire up easily as well.

The 22RE intake bolts onto the 22R heads already, although I believe you need to have a head from a 82 or later to have all the necessary bolt holes. Not completely sure which year, it's whenever the celicas started having analog efi available. Wiring is a separate deal, and I'd guess ORS or painless probably already have plugNplay harnesses.

This is really intended for those running a 20R/22R hybrid that would prefer to upgrade with efi rather than side drafts or a weber 38.

burger05TOY 07-19-2008 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by bkubisht (Post 50766676)
A couple of local guys are looking at making an intake adapter to mate the 22RE intake to a 20R head. The plans are drawn up, CNC shop chosen, and prototype will be made in about a month. It is nearly a bolt-on deal, but not quite. It will require either some external coolant plumbing or using a drill to open the hole in the head between intake 1 & 2 into the water chambers within. The latter is better and simpler, but requires removing the head to avoid metal shavings in the coolant.

We'll probably do before & after dyno runs to quantify gains.

If it works out, we are looking at selling them for about $225 per kit. Question is, would there still be sincere interest in this idea at this price, or is it just too many years ovedue?

I'v already built a 22r with 20r head with efi and you dont need an adapter by the way it runs great but havent dinoed it i have it in a 89 runner

bkubisht 07-20-2008 02:34 PM

Did you take the port reshaping route, or go TBI instead of port injectors?

You can't just bolt up the 22RE intake. Even if you don't care about mating square holes to round ones, it won't hold coolant.

Oh, and I have kinda decided not to go forward with this project. Not enough interest out there, even with current gas prices.

Plumbrbob 08-30-2009 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by bkubisht (Post 50878438)
Did you take the port reshaping route, or go TBI instead of port injectors?

You can't just bolt up the 22RE intake. Even if you don't care about mating square holes to round ones, it won't hold coolant.

Oh, and I have kinda decided not to go forward with this project. Not enough interest out there, even with current gas prices.

Sorry to here that your walking away from this i am jsut getting turned on to it. Is it possible to have you plans sent to me so i can have someone cut up the plate for me?

I was planning on making a rudementary adapter plate with common garage tools but a cnc cut woudl be sweet.

dropzone 09-01-2009 03:11 PM

might want to try emailing him...hasn't been active for 3 months

bkubisht 09-01-2009 03:56 PM

Hooray for thread subscriptions... I'm trying to spend more time in the garage and on trails, less time sitting at a computer.

I don't have the dxf for this, it was done by my friends at www.extremerocrigs.com using a couple of my spare heads & intakes. Shoot them an email. They might just send you the file, or they might rather cut the part themself and sell it. The project sorta died when I lost interest but the drawing was done; I suspect a prototype was never cut.

Plumbrbob 09-01-2009 04:03 PM

right on thanks

Island_Yota 09-02-2009 02:48 PM

There is a company that builds a Bosch injection kit for the 20R/22R and Suzuki's:

http://www.zuksoffroad.net/toyota_engine.htm

81Hilux 09-02-2009 05:22 PM

$245 for the VW/Audi parts, and $429.95 for the rest of the kit just doesn't seem like a good deal, no matter how well it works. It would be much simpler to convert to propane.

riverdog1967 09-27-2009 04:21 PM

How did you do your system

Originally Posted by burger05TOY (Post 50878044)
I'v already built a 22r with 20r head with efi and you dont need an adapter by the way it runs great but havent dinoed it i have it in a 89 runner

I am looking at the same using 93 injection, do you have pictures or instructions?

bkubisht 09-27-2009 06:10 PM

He's full of crap, went TBI, or he's a ninja fab who pulled off one of these options:
http://home.earthlink.net/~twopapa/toyefi.htm#efi

tried4x2signN 01-26-2010 05:04 PM

I'd love this...

I've got 2 RET's though... I guess the q is, doesn't a 20r head flow better than a 22R? And all I have to do is mill he 20R head to fit on the Laser block, right? And is all that worth $225?

this sounds killer for Turbo set-ups...

You could even swap cams between the two if you had to...

Get on the RTE forums and ask... I bet you'll get lots more bites..

bkubisht 01-26-2010 05:54 PM

It flows better only in the intake. It's the same on the exhaust as the 79-84 22R blocks and probably close to same on the pear-shaped outlet on the lazer block heads. The valves are a little smaller on the 20R head.

What does the compression ratio end up being on a lazer block with a 20R head? If I had one loose I could measure what the combustion chamber size would be after milling, but I don't. What's the diameter of the chamber on a 20R head?

tried4x2signN 08-08-2010 12:33 PM

Project 20RE - Junkyard injection with TBI

truckman1966 08-18-2010 08:21 PM

The 20r head myth is just that... a myth. the 20r and 22r/re head all flow super similar numbers so it's not worth the swap. just port your 22r head. kinda like the 5m head on a 7m block (pseudo 6m). flow numbers are a fallacy. i have no idea how these rumors got started but before you go swapping a head and hunt down all the parts to make it work, i would really do some research. don't mean to be rude. just trying to save my toyota brothers some time.