YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Pre 84 Trucks (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114/)
-   -   1983 Toyota Pickup Headlight Problem (Please help!) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114/1983-toyota-pickup-headlight-problem-please-help-273828/)

Jadyn123 10-07-2013 12:34 PM

1983 Toyota Pickup Headlight Problem (Please help!)

Hey there, I am a proud owner of a 1983 Toyota pickup! However I am experiencing a strange electrical problem.
Sometimes when I turn my headlights on they will not come on immediately. I have notice that when this happens the hazard lights will not work either. However, the rest of the lights (dash, breaks, etc) still work.
When the headlights won't come on you can hear a strange buzzing noise coming from the dash.
The headlights will usually come on after 20 seconds or so of driving but sometimes they will stay off completely. This is very frustrating as I use this truck to deliver pizzas and if it happens at night while I'm working I'm screwed!
Please help me to troubleshoot or fix this problem because I am stumped!

Stetson_md 10-07-2013 01:02 PM

Check the headlight relay not sure where its at on a 83tho

RAD4Runner 10-07-2013 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jadyn123 (Post 52125819)
When the headlights won't come on you can hear a strange buzzing noise coming from the dash....
The headlights will usually come on after 20 seconds or so of driving but sometimes they will stay off completely...

Our senses are the best troubleshooting tool for our classics and you are in the best position to find the source of that buzzing, right? THAT could be a relay that's going bad.

...the hazard lights will not work either. However, the rest of the lights (dash, breaks, etc) still work.
Next best troubleshooting step is find the schematic and find what the headlight and hazards share in common that they do not share in common with the other lights lights (dash, breaks, etc). If you can post that schematic, we may be able to help you find that.

Jadyn123 10-07-2013 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner (Post 52125904)
Our senses are the best troubleshooting tool for our classics and you are in the best position to find the source of that buzzing, right? Could be a relay that's going bad.

Next best troubleshooting step is find the schematic and find what the headlight and hazards share in common that they do not share in common with the other lights lights (dash, breaks, etc). If you can post that schematic, we may be able to help you find that.

Thinks for your reply. I tried to find the source of the noise but it's difficult because it only makes noise if the lights don't turn on. I guess it's not as much of a buzz sound but more like a faint clicking. It stops after a few seconds regardless of whether the lights actually turn on or not.
What is a relay and what does it look like? I will take a closer look under the dash tomorrow.

As for the schematic, I own an 83 pickup repair manual. I will try to find a schematic and post it tomorrow.

And to add further info, today the lights wouldn't turn on. I oped the hood and wiggled a strand of wires and the lights turned on. Could it be a loose wire or a bad ground?

dropzone 10-07-2013 10:05 PM

The harnesses on a 30 year old truck tend to need some TLC. Mine was doing a similar dance when I bought my 81 almost 7 years ago. I ended bypassing most of the original harness by using a PIAA relay and harness.
you can find decent harnesses on Amazon or 4Crawler off road makes a nice one-

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...adlights.shtml

suncomb1 10-08-2013 03:25 AM

It is most likely the relay but the wiring in the steering could be going bad especially if you have tilt steering. The plug connected to the relay could be dirty or corroded. The four way could have the same problem; dirt or corrosion. Remove the plugs, check them and spray them with electrical contact cleaner. I have original relays in my truck but I use contact cleaner on them every so many years and I do not have any problems.

RAD4Runner 10-08-2013 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone (Post 52126021)
The harnesses on a 30 year old truck tend to need some TLC. Mine was doing a similar dance when I bought my 81 almost 7 years ago. I ended bypassing most of the original harness by using a PIAA relay and harness.
you can find decent harnesses on Amazon or 4Crawler off road makes a nice one-

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...adlights.shtml

Agree on conversion harness, but only IF the control circuit is good and not intermittent. If stock circuit is intermittent the relays on harness would also turn on and off intermittently.

OP needs to to troubleshoot control circuit first. Yes OP, inspect your wires for corrosion/breaks.

Stock wiring is so bad that it could mess up the dimmer-combo switch (stalk) from too much current.

6840 10-24-2013 07:21 PM

are both the high and low beams malfunctioning? Could be your high/low switch going bad. Buzzing could be corrosion burning off of the contacts.

KJ Willy 01-26-2016 05:17 AM

Hey Jaydn123, was it the relay? Just happened to my '81 this morning, had to unsafely drive to work without headlights ha.

Cade01 07-01-2016 05:43 PM

I have an '81 and I don't have any high beams. I've replaced the combo switch with two others and got nothing. Mine has different symptoms though. If the headlights are off and you pull back for flash to pass the lows come on, but if you turn on the headlights and do the same you get nothing, as well if you push the stalk forward. Any ideas? I can barely read a wiring diagram...

1980 Pinellas 08-31-2016 05:33 PM

I feel your pain, electrical on these are a beast. Worst part is , to pay someone the amount of time to fix all electrical issues would be ouchie. And to figure it out on your own is equally ouchie

Scott Jungblom 04-07-2019 05:30 PM

I have the same problem with my 81 Pick up. The head lights stopped working altogether. I changed out one relay and they started working again then hit my four-way flashers with lights on and it buzzed and everything died I haven’t tried Anything else yet.