Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1982 Toyota p/u 4x4 starting/fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1982 Toyota p/u 4x4 starting/fuel issue

I just got a 1982 Toyota 4x4 Pickup shipped to me from AZ. It's in rough shape, but has good bones and it was a one owner truck. My issue is that if the vehicle sits for a day it needs ether to start. After a spray or two it will stay running.

I'm guessing it's a carb issue, but any info would be greatly appreciated. The carb does have a few vacuum lines plugged up which could be the culprit. I will try and get some pics over the weekend. It's at my dad's shop which is over an hour from where I live.

The funny thing is I bought it from a woman who purchased it brand new in 1982. She posted it on CL and I was lurking for a couple of weeks looking for one under $2k with a good frame which lead me to AZ's Craigslist. After speaking to her on the phone for a good hour she agreed to sell it to me. It was listed for $700 so she was obviously getting slammed with calls, but she felt I was the likely candidate after I sent her the link to the 1972 Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser I am slowly restoring, and told her I would be doing the same to this one down the road. I sent her the $$ via paypal and had it picked up a week later. Shipping was $900 which brought me close to my $2k budget.

The purchase price was for a non-running truck (she said it stopped running a few months prior and swore it was the carb), but I was pleasantly surprised when the truck driver who delivered it drove it off the truck. I'm guessing it may need the carb rebuilt since it runs great and has plenty of power once you spray it with ether if it's been sitting.

Last edited by 77lubr; 04-08-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. Does it still have the original carb?
Old 04-18-2016, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by enigmaT120
Sounds like a good deal. Does it still have the original carb?
Yeah, the PO said it was original and had never been rebuilt. I'm going to give it a rebuild and probably going to put a new fuel pump on as well since I got one sitting on the bench. I'll also change the leaking valve cover gasket and see what else (if any) is leaking. It's really oil ridden but you can see the oil flowing out pretty good out from the valve cover when you have it running.