Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1982 22R Engine sputters and idles rough in gear, drives fine

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweet as. good to hear. i think ur rtv seal will be fine, its really not under that much pressure, just so long as u keep ur PCV system up to scratch!!
Old 12-26-2017, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by rickc5
If you don't mind my asking: I'm facing a carb rebuild too, and I also am intimidated by this oddball Aisin carb. When you bought your rebuild kit, did it come with a detailed set of directions? If not, where did you get the necessary info on rebuilding the carb? My option is a weber carb, but that's a pretty expensive option. BTW- I have the factory shop manual.
hey rick ive rebuilt the aisan, dont be intimidated, just make sure u open it over a bucket with a towel in it, so that if anything falls out it hits a soft surface and doesnt bounce. That is, from the moment u take the float cover (air horn as its called) off, be working over a bucket.
oh an, dont try do it on the car haha.
just remember there are screws that will be very tight, and ur best friend will be an impact screwdriver!!
Old 05-28-2019, 11:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For all the nay-sayers on the one bolt, giant washer, fabricated block off plate, and red rtv sealant for blocking the fuel pump port - A year and a half and still chugging along and still going strong! Not one drop of oil leaked.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:22 PM

Just clean out your idol sensor next to throttle body and guarantee you won't be bogging out but just the throttle body sensor with the slight angle and just mess with it that. Won't be nothing else and it won't be your fuel filter or your fuel pump guarantee check everything had a list in that was the Issue won't have to spend any money just make sure the sensor is clean adjust Right and you won't have any issues guarantee you won't Be bogging engine won't be shaking as you're trying to accelerate
Old 07-13-2019, 01:21 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by Garzon1994
Just clean out your idol sensor next to throttle body and guarantee you won't be bogging out but just the throttle body sensor with the slight angle and just mess with it that. Won't be nothing else and it won't be your fuel filter or your fuel pump guarantee check everything had a list in that was the Issue won't have to spend any money just make sure the sensor is clean adjust Right and you won't have any issues guarantee you won't Be bogging engine won't be shaking as you're trying to accelerate
Idol sensor?

If anything, you probably mean idle sensor.

A 22R does not have anything called an idle sensor, so I would not be so quick to "guarantee" that is the problem........

Old 07-15-2019, 12:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Garzon1994

Thanks for the input, but the truck is an early 80's carb, non 22re motor. No idle sensor. As was posted before, the truck needed a carb rebuild and a new fuel pump. That fixed the problem. I put an electric fuel pump in as suggested and have not had any problems.