Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1980 4x4 oil and amp gauge not working, hasnt ever worked

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1980 4x4 oil and amp gauge not working, hasnt ever worked

so ive had this truck for years and have done everything to it short of a motor swap(including a 5 speed tranny swap, and im planning to put the 22r ive been building in there soon too), but something has always bothered me, the amp and oil pressure gauge pod thing doesnt work. at all, never has. im wondering where to check for fuses, and/or what wires to hook up to make this work? any ideas?

also while im on the subject of gauges, im wondering if there is a good replacement fuel level sending unit to replace the one i FINALLY found on craigslist for a first gen truck.. it was used and of course doesnt work right, so now im on a serious hunt to find a NEW replacement.

i went wheeling the other day and came back to find a BADLY clogged fuel filter, causing the truck to of course drive super rough and terrible. so another question for you guys is whats the easiest way to clean my gas tank out?

My truck is now stock height with stock springs, but my front springs are severely negatively arched and are due for replacements. im wondering if a pair of stock rear leafs would keep the truck level and/or even fit in the front, as they are easier to come by than front leafs.

and last but certainly not least... i cut out the holes for the speakers to fit some 6 x 9's awhile back in the summer and now the speaker holes are leaking water everytime it rains.. whats a cheap, easy fix to remedy that problem? im assuming that the water is getting in via the cracked and weathered weather strips that clip on the outside and inside of the door against the window, is there a place that i can get a set of those new?

thank you SO much for any and all help, if i fix all this and swap my motor in, my dream truck is complete short of some minor body damage that i am slowly fixing, and a new paint job some day!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! im thankful for my family, and creativity!
Old 11-25-2010, 05:41 PM

For the gas/ and sending unit problem... what I did was buy a tank out of a second gen truck and use it. I found a tank out of a 89 and it was nice and clean. So I have nice clean gas (no rust) and a new sending unit. The only thing I had to do was cut the 1st gen plug of the original sending unit and splice it on the newer unit. It was money well spent in my book and bolted right up.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:35 PM

really the 89 tank bolted up? mine is a long bed i wonder if that makes a difference. im thinking ill keep my original tank and look into getting a new adjustable generic sending unit, that i will have to calibrate myself, which shouldnt be too hard... i would think.. if i can avoid splicing and hacking i will at this point, plus it would be cool to use the original tank still.. thanks for your advice!
Old 11-26-2010, 05:18 AM

It bolted right up. If you have a long bed you just need to find a long bed carb 2nd gen to get the tank from. The hacking splicing is only 2 wires and really not a big deal at all. The wire colors were the same and everything. if you can crimp two wires together it is no big deal at all. Good luck with it.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:28 AM

i have no problem with the work necessary, i just dont like the hacked up aspect of these old trucks and how the first thing you see under the hood or under the truck is custom wiring. im a huge fan of anything thats stock, short of the 22r and 5 speed tranny thats going in. ill definately look into a new tank but ill probably just get some tank cleaner from schucks and get at this one.

Thanks again!