Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1978 Toyota Pickup Bent Axle Shaft Help!

Old 01-26-2019, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by millball
Is your new, too long axle 5 lug, or 6???
5 lug.
I called Yota jims, and I verified that it was for a '78 2WD.

One more thing that crossed my mind, it seems like this rear axle shaft had work done, could someone have machined it to try and fix it? Because the old axle shaft doesn't have a nicely defined lip before the splines like the "new" one does.

Last edited by Dzhezzi; 01-26-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:28 AM

So, I tried installing the longer one, everything seems right, but after the splines catch it won't go any further and I don't want to use too much force. It seems like that extra inch is what sticks out and does not allow the backing plate to mate up with the housing flange. Any help would be much appreciated.

I have been talking to the YotaJims people, but they are still trying to see what they can figure out also.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:47 AM

Unhappy Help!

All right, gathered a bit more info before the rain started.

The rear axle width (approximately backing plate to backing plate) is about 47-1/4 inches, maybe a little under 1/4, not around 53 inches. Also, I noticed the bolt pattern on the third member doesn't have one bolt at the twelve o'clock position, but rather two that are side by side, would that make it an 8 in?

Do I have a different rear end axle housing?

Last edited by Dzhezzi; 01-31-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:15 PM

Here are some pictures.

Driver side

Passenger side

Top of the third member

Top of the third member different view
Old 02-06-2019, 08:37 PM

I suppose it is clear that the shaft I received is incorrect, but now I need to figure out my next steps.
Should I get a rear axle from a different truck? There are a few 1980 through 1984 Toyota pickups in the junkyards around here, so I can shoot for one of those. I would just make sure it is an 8" third member and hook it up to my current driveshaft. Could I try any other truck? Ford Courier? Ranger? S-10?

Seeing as I have given up trying to find an axle shaft for this particular rear end.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:51 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
As you’re seeing there’s not a lot of info out there for the pre-pickup Hilux trucks but since nobody’s mentioned it yet, your truck has an 8” differential not a 7.5”. At least my 75 Hilux and many many many others do, perhaps all of them It was the next generation 79+ 2wd pickups that got downgraded to a 7.5” differential.

you could always find a machine shop to machine you the correct length axle shaft from a long one.

Last edited by highonpottery; 02-07-2019 at 06:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Dzhezzi (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 09:35 AM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by highonpottery
As you’re seeing there’s not a lot of info out there for the pre-pickup Hilux trucks but since nobody’s mentioned it yet, your truck has an 8” differential not a 7.5”. At least my 75 Hilux and many many many others do, perhaps all of them It was the next generation 79+ 2wd pickups that got downgraded to a 7.5” differential.

you could always find a machine shop to machine you the correct length axle shaft from a long one.
That is good to know. I did not know that the older Hilux Trucks came with an 8" differential.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:41 AM

Aww man, the machine shop option seems to be the quickest route.

I was thinking, why not just change out the rear end with a 1980s pickup and keep the same driveshaft, but that might not work either. I've done my research on other trucks, like an Isuzu, since it was readily available in the junkyard, but it sounds like that will require some driveshaft modification. Either way, it looks like I might need to visit the machine shop.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:07 PM

Yes, you could swap the rear axle, but it will be wider unless you have it chopped, at that point might as well have just done the axle shaft instead of axle tube + shafts, lol. This may change your road handling, I believe wider rear than front is less stable.

I'll keep my eye out for any Hilux being parted out.

Are you a member of ToyotaMinis? There isn't a whole lot of info out there for pre-pickup Hilux trucks, but it's the best resource I've found so far
Dzhezzi (02-09-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 11:17 AM

Yes, you could swap the rear axle, but it will be wider unless you have it chopped, at that point might as well have just done the axle shaft instead of axle tube + shafts, lol. This may change your road handling, I believe wider rear than front is less stable.

I'll keep my eye out for any Hilux being parted out.

Are you a member of ToyotaMinis? There isn't a whole lot of info out there for pre-pickup Hilux trucks, but it's the best resource I've found so far
What about from say from a 1982 Toyota pickup?
Old 02-12-2019, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dzhezzi
What about from say from a 1982 Toyota pickup?
You could, but if it's 2wd I believe you're swapping to a 7.5" 5-lug with 55" WMS width.
An 8" I believe would have to come from a 4wd or from a v6 model but those will also be wider.
Dzhezzi (02-21-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 09:45 AM

Talk to this guy, he's up north from you, but has what you need: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts...796088456.html
Dzhezzi (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 06:48 AM

All right guys, I finally tracked down the correct axle shaft. After some asking around I found that I need an axle shaft from the earlier models, not from the later ones. The year 1978 is a funky one because it seems there was some transition in the middle where later model '78 trucks use 1979 and onward axle shafts.

Now I just need to clean this one up and install it. All of you have been very helpful, here is to hoping that this fixes my wobble issue. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:37 AM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Sweet!

Good information to know.

Now you don't have to attempt to get another wrong axle shaft to work or replace the entire axle.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:50 AM

Glad you got that sorted out. I’m still trying to understand how you had a bent shaft but not the housing also.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:46 AM

Glad you got that sorted out. I’m still trying to understand how you had a bent shaft but not the housing also.
I don't get it either, but the wobble seems to be gone.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:46 AM

However, now the car won't start, it just turns over and I can't smell fuel. I pour some fuel in the carburetor and it starts, but dies instantly. The car has been sitting for about two weeks and it has been raining and cold, so I am stumped.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:09 PM

Could be a bad mechanical fuel pump if you still have it. My fuel system was upgraded with electric fuel pump, filter and a pressure regulator.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:32 AM

Could be a bad mechanical fuel pump if you still have it. My fuel system was upgraded with electric fuel pump, filter and a pressure regulator.
No, this has an electric pump in the fuel tank, but it whirrs whenever I turn the key and have the oil sensor switch disconnected.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:35 AM

All right guys, I am learning a ton so thank you all, but now I have another concern.

Since the truck won't start while I have it in the air, I decided to redo the whole drum brake system while I figure out if it is a fuel pump issue, or just needs more fuel. Got everything off, and bought a new wheel cylinder. But it does not seem to fit, the one that was in there before, just slides in and out with ease. The new one hits the flange where the studs are for the wheel, it looks like it will fit if I force it in, but is that normal? Does anyone have any experience with that? Do you have to use a bit of elbow grease to get that little sucker in there?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Dzhezzi; 02-28-2019 at 09:37 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1978 Toyota Pickup Bent Axle Shaft Help!