YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Tool Time (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f106/)
-   -   Wagner power sprayer?? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f106/wagner-power-sprayer-195487/)

TinMan 10-29-2009 06:39 PM

Wagner power sprayer??

Ok I know I am probably going to get laughed out of yotatech for this question, but here goes anyway.

What do you all think about buying one of the nicer Wagner power sprayers like the 300v to do things like spray the high temp engine paint, POR 15, under body paint and such.

Painting with a sprayer is one area that I am really lacking in knowledge. I have done a lot of rattle can work and gotten pretty good. And I am learning really quick that rattle cans are pricey these days, and they dont really offer a lot of coverage area for the cost. You can get a quart of high temp stove black paint for the same cost of one rattle can of high temp high temp flat black.

In researching things like POR 15, hammerrite, hammered on, under coatings, and engine paints, they all have directions for brushing on, compressed air spraying, and airless spraying. Seems that with airless spraying(Wagner types) that you dont have to thin any of these types of paints.

I have used cheaper wagners on things like decks, and inside houses, and have always thought wow that was a lot less over spray than what I have seen with a compressed air,or rattle cans.

I can also remember one guy I worked with who shot his mud pit trucks with a wagner and they always looked pretty good

Anyway laugh if you wish, but I thought I would put it out here and see if it is a waist of money or not.

4Crawler 11-02-2009 06:29 AM

Might check with the paint mfg. and see if they have any recommendations. I've used a lot of POR-15 but I find rolling or brushing it on works best for me due to less waste. Spraying it on seems like it would waste more paint and at $150+/gallon, that stuff ain't cheap. Plus cleanup is a bear with that stuff. I gave up trying to clean more than small brushes and instead use disposable rollers and brushes with it. I'll tightly wrap them in plastic and stick used rollers/brushes in the freezer if I want to try and re-use them in a while for another project. You can thin POR-15 with naptha and it does work for cleanup but it is a relatively expensive solvent.

BoostinChick 11-02-2009 06:34 AM

The POR-15 may be too thick for a sprayer and would have to be thinned out. Not sure if mixing anything into it would make it less adhesive or change anything chemically in it. I would not use a sprayer for POR-15 application.

As for actual paint jobs like the Rustoleom $50 paint job dealie, it would work well since that paint is thinned anyway. I have seen pictures of many people using the Wagner sprayers and getting great results the only thing is would need to make a nice booth or something so the dust/elements don't tack on when spraying or you will be in for a lot of wet sanding.

dark_fairytales 11-02-2009 10:05 AM

screw the wagner!!!!! pressure is the only way to go, I know im a former professional. If budget is an issue just get cheap equipment from harbor fright or look for used on good old craigslist. Pressure is way more versatile, learning to spray coatings and finishes is just practice. you can find a lot of how too's on the net.

TinMan 11-03-2009 02:30 AM

Yeah POR 15 is great stuff, does seem like brushing and rolling is the best. But at around $300.00 for the marine clean, por 15 and top coat + shipping it is just not in the budget. And I have a lot of stuff between the two trucks that are going to need a coat of something.

I did buy the wagner control spray double duty last night. I figured if it is really crap I will just take it back. And if it decent, but not for the lighter paints, I would keep it for some house painting that I need to do.

I Brought it home and mixed about 8oz of rustoleum hammered with about 4oz of xylol. That brought it down to about 50 seconds dripping through the vis cup. Then I took a scrap piece of sheet metal and started playing. At first the paint was hitting the steel like you were throwing it at it. turned the volume knob down almost all the way and I was able to get a nice tack coat. waited about 10 min and then turned the volume knob up a little and got a nice thicker coat but not full coverage. Waited 30 min until it was just lightly tacky and hit it with another coat. Beter looking than I have been able to get with brushing on a hammered finish like Rustoleum hammer, or hammerite. There is a learning curve though. You can not turn the gun any more than about 60deg down or the paint will run to far up to the head. And you have to get used to the spray not turning on right away. Once the pump starts running you can pretty much paint as usual.

That really covered well with no runs or sags. So I put some card board down under a few tool stands and such that I have built recently. They were clean and primered, but not sanded. I used the rest of rest of the paint I had mixed up on them got a tack coat, and two full coats. Went out this morning and looked close. They really look good. Look as though they could use another coat to really cover them. But the hammered finish is really great.

There was not really a lot of over spray either. I did not wet the floor, or cover a lot of it. And there was not much around the card board on the floor. The fumes out there are another story. But I think I put some of the rags from clean up in the trash and they need to go out side to the can.

I'll probably play with it a little more before doing anything serious on my runner. Thanks for the input.

Later thanks

ILLINOISYOTADAWG 11-12-2009 04:23 PM

try going to www.eastwood.com they have a rust encapsulator that kicks A$$ for half of the por 15 and can spray with paint sprayer the whole frame kit with frame black is like 100.

akwheeler 03-03-2018 10:52 AM

yeah, go to home depot not Yotatech

jakey poo 03-03-2018 01:51 PM

:lof:

thefishguy77 03-12-2018 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by johnhoward
Hi everyone

I am looking for a best airless paint sprayer for my home and basic outdoor jobs. My budget is no more than 500$, Can anyone help me suggesting best recommend for me?

Thanks, best regards

Best and being on a budget are 2 different things. Most of us live in the budget area. What are the jobs your looking to do? One main project and then play with it here and there? Lots of bigger projects? Just paint the truck and truck parts? All depends.

When i painted my house i borrowed a airless from a friend. I also looked in to renting on for my house. From the research I did renting one works fine but be prepared to pay a cleaning fee almost every time. I have rattle canned body parts and had them come out great, and some not so great. With any painting project prep work matters more than any other aspect.

Nervo19 03-13-2018 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77 (Post 52393211)
Best and being on a budget are 2 different things. Most of us live in the budget area. What are the jobs your looking to do? One main project and then play with it here and there? Lots of bigger projects? Just paint the truck and truck parts? All depends.

When i painted my house i borrowed a airless from a friend. I also looked in to renting on for my house. From the research I did renting one works fine but be prepared to pay a cleaning fee almost every time. I have rattle canned body parts and had them come out great, and some not so great. With any painting project prep work matters more than any other aspect.

I'm pretty sure johnhoward is a spammer who desperately wants us to click on that link he provided to give us a virus. This is the only post he's ever made.

old87yota 03-13-2018 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Nervo19 (Post 52393306)
I'm pretty sure johnhoward is a spammer who desperately wants us to click on that link he provided to give us a virus. This is the only post he's ever made.

He has posted the exact same question on the Antique Radio Forums that I am apart of as well.

It is kind of strange.....

dropzone 03-13-2018 04:10 PM

guys next time report the post when you suspect a spammer.
yes John Howard likes making spammichs

I only noticed it because this seemed like an ancient thread

old87yota 03-13-2018 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone (Post 52393313)
guys next time report the post when you suspect a spammer.
yes John Howard likes making spammichs

I only noticed it because this seemed like an ancient thread

Okay! Will do! :great: