YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Tool Time (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f106/)
-   -   Which socket set? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f106/socket-set-257196/)

1991YotaDog 08-07-2012 04:15 PM

Which socket set?

I'm treating myself to new tools in relation to the valve cover gaskets in need of serious replacement.

Does anyone like a certain set more than others? I'm looking to spend around $100.

toyodually 08-07-2012 04:20 PM

what kinda socket set, just sockets, or sockets and rachets? if just sockets I would get harbor frieght, if rachets to stanley has a nice set at walmart for about a 100 bucks. just depends on what you want.

Robert m 08-07-2012 04:28 PM

craftsman or kobalt

scope103 08-07-2012 04:29 PM

There are some people who "only use Snap-On." Or, who "only use Craftsman." I envy them, but I would lose a socket and break into tears. So I go with Harbor Freight. If I lose a socket, I just pick up another set.

You should make sure that what you get is a "set," so that each part of the set has a place to return to. (Those cheesy blow-mold cases are actually really nice.) You want your "15mm 6pt deep socket" (or whatever) to always be in the same place. There's nothing worse than feeling around in a box trying to find the part you want.

1991YotaDog 08-07-2012 04:35 PM

A whole new set. Starting fresh (sockets and rachets). Never tried a Harbor Freight. I love those sets after you get everything perfectly placed then you turn it on its side and hear everything fall to the bottom. Dang it!

TrikeKid 08-07-2012 04:43 PM

Craftsman/Stanley/Kobalt are about as cheap as I would go. Cheap sockets are cheap for a reason, they don't fit as well, and they are weaker. I have a cheap stanley set that I keep in my truck for roadside emergencies, it's pretty nice for the $30 I paid for it. No comparison to the pro-quality stuff I have at work but for get the truck home or to work type repairs, they do just fine.

ogjohnboy 08-07-2012 05:00 PM

im one of those "only use Snap-On" guys but i make my living with my tools. For someone whos only going to use them every so often i would recommend craftsman. Lifetime warranty on the hand tools and are better by far than harbor freight. Although i admit that harbor freight impact sockets can take a beating :laugh:

MaK92-4RnR 08-07-2012 05:01 PM

harbor freight has a 305 set for 150 bucks. lifetime warranty. no questions asked replacement.

Craftsman and snap on are over rated. i've beat the hell out of my harbor freight hand tools and have broken maybe one or two ratchets. they replaced them when i went into the store.

nothingbetter 08-07-2012 05:49 PM

for the weekend warrior, a lower quality set is all you need. As for brand its all up to you. Its mroe or less the same stuff. Just make sure it has a lifetime warranty. Keep in mind some compainies 'lifetime warranty" is for the life of the tool...not the life of the user. If your socket breaks after 3 years, they could say "the tools life is rated as 2 years so we won't warranty it" I've had that issue with cheap brands before.

To mr 924rnr above me. There is a HUGE difference between a snap on ratchet and a "buy in a box set" ratchet. Its the little things a weekend wrencher probally won't notice. Like how its balanced. How it fits in your hand, quick release button (if thats the model you chose) Easier to switch drive directions with. Fine tooth engagement for tight spots (my ratchets only need 3-4 degrees of movement to grab a tooth a cheap ratchet will take 15) How easilly the socket slides on the the ratchet. No slop in the ratcheting mechanism. Stronger everything. No flex under heavy load.

Theres a saying in the tool world. Those who say that high end tools arn't worth it, are jealous of those who have high end tools.

1991YotaDog 08-07-2012 06:12 PM

Sorry for more newbie questions but what about a torque wrench? Is it necessary for this particular job?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00931423000P

ogjohnboy 08-07-2012 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by nothingbetter (Post 51956172)
Theres a saying in the tool world. Those who say that high end tools arn't worth it, are jealous of those who have high end tools.

:wrench: :lol:

i remember when i used to think any tool is the same... then that damn truck pulled into my dads machine shop!

ogjohnboy 08-07-2012 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by 1991YotaDog (Post 51956184)
Sorry for more newbie questions but what about a torque wrench? Is it necessary for this particular job?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00931423000P

for a valve cover its not needed. just snug them down and it will be ok.

1991YotaDog 08-07-2012 07:35 PM

Alrighty then. Thanks everyone!

Luvmeye22re 08-07-2012 07:51 PM

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/tools-h...l#.UCHgH0bv5Ns

I have that one. It's actually a pretty decent set in my eyes. It's fixed a number of things over the past 4 years and I've beaten on every wrench and ratchet in there pretty hard with a hammer without so much as scraping the black off. It could use more (they always can) but there are a good number of tasks I can complete with this one. For $111 I can't complain at all. If I got a few more larger/smaller metric wrenches and a bunch of larger sockets I could do a lot more...

The harbor freight one that MAK suggested sounds pretty sweet too...

I worked in a shop for a while and my boss had a VERY LARGE assortment of MAC/Snap-On tools and I will admit, they are well worth the money! I just can't afford $150 for 6 ratchet wrenches lol

TrikeKid 08-07-2012 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by nothingbetter (Post 51956172)

The only industry folks I ever see say this are those who can't afford truck brand stuff. Had a co-worker all but flat out tell me I was an idiot for buying a service cart (KRSC40) off the Snap-On guy, but he's constantly on about how he can't justify the cost of buying from S-O/Matco/Cornwell

iselloil 08-08-2012 03:10 AM

Check ace hardware.Some of the stores are closing out the Stanley,because there starting to carry Craftsman.Check Amazon also for the Stanley kits.
I bought one of these sets last year.http://www.ebay.com/itm/STANLEY-91-9...item2573e5ea43

Resto-noob 08-08-2012 04:01 AM

How about a HF set and some really nice 10,12,14,17mm sockets. Pick up a nice set of ratcheting wrenches, too. I paint my 10,12,14,17s so that I can grab them at a glance.I use those four more than everything else combined.

waskillywabbit 08-08-2012 05:10 AM

Buy what is local to you so replacement or addition pieces are easily and readily accessible.

I buy Craftsman and Kobalt because I can get either 7 days a week in less than 20 minutes.

If you are turning wrenches for a living, the nice tools do make a difference.

:wabbit2:

highonpottery 08-08-2012 06:42 AM

I always had hand me down tools until a couple years ago when I could afford to buy new, matching sets for my toolbox. I went to Harbor Freight for some deep socket sets since i had plenty short sockets, and find myself using their 1/2" colored deep socket set the most. Colored makes it easy to find the one you need and they snap onto a plastic holder which has held up surprisingly well, and lifetime warranty on HF tools. I've also got a set of Kobalt deep sockets of larger size (like 14-25mm or something like that) that I bought on sale and even though they're supposed to be "better", they are more difficult to find the socket needed, the holder is just ok, but what's happening is the chrome coating is flaking off and overall not holding up as well. So for the $15 difference between sets I'd have to favor the HF one.

Last year I decided to buy one of those 200pc Crescent sets they sell at Costco because it was flat and slightly easier to fit in my truck than the rattling tool box that drove me crazy. It's actually a VERY nice set of sockets and ratcheting box wrenches for only $80 - and everything fits snugly in their little home. I would highly recommend one of these sets and it'll cover all your bases except for the few larger sockets you'll need on your rig - like the 22-30mm biggies on the chassis, lugs, etc.

If you're looking for the actual ratchets to use with your sockets THIS is where I wouldn't skimp out. The sockets themselves are fairly equivalent but when youre using that cheap ratchet and start really cranking on something, only to have the drive gear give out and give you bloody knuckles...you'll be wishing you bought better tools than the set with the spinning knob, instead of the modern flick switch drive selector and locking pin that keeps sockets on the wrench.

Gareth68 08-08-2012 08:43 AM

It depends on your budget. Craftsman has really gone downhill other than their pro line. Sure you can take them back, but the ratchets are just crap.

The sockets are still decent enough for most purposes, and they have some decent sets....though often time they will skip very important sizes.

If you get a set, consider upgrading the ratchets.

Harbor freight has come a long ways....though some stuff is still pure garbage. Examine on an item by item basis. They have a good return policy and some workably decent stuff.

SK tools can be a little difficult to find and since the company got passed around like a cheap date, return policies can be a little wonky. BUT, they are nice tools. They are made in USA and fill the niche between cheap tools and truck tools. They will generally last a lifetime if cared for.

Truck tools are very nice, there is a difference....but you are also paying for the service of a truck that drives around to shops, offers payment options, and often warranties clearly abused tools for long time customers.

In general, you don't always get what you pay for but you always pay for what you get.

Buy the best you can afford, treat them right, and you will pass them on to someone else many years down the road.

Do not forget Ebay, Amazon, and garage type forum classifieds to get top quality tools significantly cheaper.

Some areas that in no way should you go too cheap, IMHO.

Torque wrenches.

Line wrenches.

Screwdrivers