Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

So you want to buy a welder or learn to weld?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 05:28 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Question So you want to buy a welder or learn to weld?

Learning to Weld
I own a piano. It doesn't make me a pianist.

I took stick welding in junior college 25 years ago for 7 hours a day all summer. I own two welders. It still doesn't make me a welder. I know guys who can lay a stack of dimes standing on their head eating a sammich. They are welders.

Learning to weld is practice. Learn from someone who can weld well. Take some classes. Watch some videos. Don't expect to become a welder because you buy a machine. Practice makes better.

Welding Machines
If it costs under $200 NIB it is cheap and probably won't last. Buying a welder is an investment for today to use forever. If you aren't planning on it that way save your investment and find a buddy who can weld and pay him in beer.

I have a Lincoln Pro Mig 135 and a MillerMatic 251. Both will do flux core but I have them setup for Mig. I use the 135 the most as it's 110 and will weld most things under 1/4" pretty well. I use the 251 for anything going on the frame or suspension that I want on there with one pass. It is 220 and will weld your face to the floor.

IMO a 110 machine doesn't have enough umph to do what most folks here want to do unless you use flux core wire or know what you are doing with a Mig.

The best machines for the buck are the 180 machines that are 220 and will weld suspension stuff easily with Mig. Flux core makes a mess and spatters too much for me.

Buy a name brand machine. Miller, Lincoln, ESAB, Hobart etc, not some crap from Harbor Freight. Parts are easier to find locally and your investment will last. Someone will pipe up and say they've had some no name brand forever but look at what the pros use - it ain't cheap crap. I see welders all the time for sale where someone bought a welder and then it was crap or they just expected to pick it up first try.

I know we have lots of welders here so please add your tips, preferences and opinions.

Thanks.

:wabbit2:

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 06-09-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good post Wabbit. I own a 110v Dayton Mig flux core that I am "learning" on. I do small fabrication but nothing I deem safety related. I leave that to the welders. And yes, beer is a good motivator
Old 06-09-2011, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
I am no welder. I don't weld everyday.

However, I've used friends machines and had them show me what to look for and how to lay beads. Some were 20 year gas line welders, others were basic "done it for years" guys. I've watched videos, read books but I'm a hands on guy and have to do it in order to fully understand it. I would love to go to a school and learn more.

Sooooooo, I bought a welder. Not a name brand, I got it at a pawn shop. It's a 110v flux core. Bought an autodark Lincoln shield and good Lincoln wire. I got some scrap steel and practiced. Aaaand practiced. Got pretty good with it too!

Yes, flux core is a pita....BUT metal prep is the key. It will do a fine job.

Then, I scored a craigslist Lincoln AC 225 find!! Came with a cart AND a 25' 220v extension cord. Again, scrap steel and lots of sticks to practice.

Would I install a roll cage with either of these welders?? Hmmmmm...probably not(I'm sure you COULD but I'm not ).

This setup works for the stuff I do. If I need more complicated or structural stuff done, I take in it. Keeping in mind that the more that I prep the metal for the proffesionals, the less I have to pay to get it done.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:06 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

I gotta say if at all possible go to school just get the basics of all position stick welding you can go where you want from there. If the school you go to offers the certification tests by all means even if you never plan to use it take the vertical one that will always look good on your resume

In any welding the prep work is I would say at the least 80% if not more of the job The welding it`s self is just a matter of being able to see and being comfortable. If your not comfortable your welds will suffer.

I get so mad at times because It takes me longer to get the feeder just in the correct spot so the gun is not kinked enough to cause a burn back .

When welding in the often out of position places on vehicles It is not uncommon to have the feeder go from being on the floor to hanging from the ceiling .

This is where knowing what your uses are before buying a welder can be a big plus.

For welding at the bench I can get away with something along the lines of the Millermatic 250 series self contained power source and feeder. Trying to use this on just about anything else for me gets frustrating .

I am torn on this because I was always a Buy name brand welder person for myself and always will be. Thing is if you only weld as a hobby maybe only a few times a year. Really can`t weld is there any benefit to having a real welder sitting in the shed unused.

I guess that is a call each of us has to make
Old 06-10-2011, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I own a Miller Dynasty 200, it's the perfect machine for me. It does everything, 110, 220, 440, single phase and 3 phase, Thick and thin AC/DC. It cost more than my truck, but it's an investment that I plan to capitalize on.
I've been taking TIG classes for a year at the local community college and it has been a hugely great experience. Will teach you all the metal prep skills, you how to hold a torch, and test your welds. Even if you can practice at home, the teacher with experience will give you new tests you never even thought of. Think you can weld, then practice left handed and harder positions until you get it.
Every time you get good at doing a position add another difficulty and then when you really need to weld things it will be easy and go together just the way you like it.
If you have the ability to do so, I would recommend practicing aluminum. It is a much harder metal to control than steel. Once you got it steel will feel like a cake walk.

Last edited by SCToy; 06-10-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also if you dont know how to set your machine properly with GMAW you can easily have a good looking bead that is lacking penetration; and with flux core if you don't know how to manipulate your puddle (gotta keep your wire at the leading edge, and always travel backhand) you will get slag inclusions. Seen both of those situations lots in trade school.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:12 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I just completed the first year of an AS degree in welding at Napa Valley College. The more I see the more I don't know. To me its booth time x 100 then practical application. I am older so getting work as a welder is down the road, and who knows. Next year I hope to tackle bumpers and then perhaps an SAS, practice, practice, practice.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:22 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
PS. I just received a lincoln 180c mig, and a plasma cutter to use for a while, I still am not a welder
Old 06-11-2011, 12:17 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

Don`t sell your self short !!

You have the right attitude willing to learn.

I know people that are so called welders all they do is build nice new aluminum trailers.

The people over in the other building that repair the same trailers after seeing life in use for however long call the people in the other building the nursery school welders because they can`t cut the welding in the real world.

I must say the repair of these trucks is the hardest welding you will ever do anything else will seem easy