Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

SEARS Biting The Dust

Old 10-17-2017, 09:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
SEARS Biting The Dust

I thought I would start this thread as a place to gather general info on the topic of Sears Tools after they close up shop, any plans on hitting the sales if there are any ? have any news about warranty issues ? I've heard Black and Decker are taking over the Craftsman brand, if that's true I'd like to hear stories of sourcing OEM parts for power tools, or what the process is for simply replacing a broken socket, etc etc.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I managed to get some good deals. Part of the reason I liked their tools was the lifetime warranty. But I guess that's no longer available.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I heard Lowes may carry Craftsman brand. Unsure if they will do the warranty tool swap.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:56 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
As most probably know craftsman hand tools are made in China now. If you have a US racket the store and replace internals but if you just one for one swap it out the chances are high you’ll get a Chinese racket.

Oh oh and the internals for the USand Chinese rackets are not the same.

It’s not just the lifetime warranty that got me hooked on craftsman. They were truly a quality entry level tool. Habor freight has lifetime warranty but the few hand tools I have from HF leave me wondering if tools will break every time I pick one up to use. Recently broke both ears off a large box wrench. Busted my knuckle, had to drive across town to replace. I bought the HF stuff to have as a cheap kit for trail use and keep in rig. Honestly think it was a mistake last thing I want is a simple trail repair to turn into being stranded because tool broke. What a dumb decision on my part.

any input on other quality affordable tools?
Old 02-20-2018, 06:01 AM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
I like the Kobalt ratchets and wrenches I have from Lowe's. I try to be easy on my tools though so how long they last is still up in the air, but they feel like a good quality tool.

Most of my tools are Craftsman.

Harbor Freight is hit and miss. Some of their tools last longer than you would expect, while others (like their snap ring pliers) barely work out of the package.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:13 AM

99% of my home tools are Craftsman but 99% of my professional tools are Snap-on. 99% of the the time they both work 100% of the time.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:45 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I've got one craftsman set the I've had over 25+ yrs. Broke one socket, and have worn out 2 racket internals, one 3/8s drive and one 1/2.

Habor Freight tools that have been worth while: heat gun for shrink wrap, 12v compressor, set of rachet wrenches seem to be good so far but try to not use them to break bolts/nuts loose. Ones that have not been worth while more than I can list off the top of my head.

Haven't owned Kobalt nor Gear wrench, both have lifetime warranty. Used a set of Gear Wrench rachet wrenches at autoshop on post and one of the wrenches rachet was broken. But hard to judge as tools at autoshop is open for anyone to abuse.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:48 AM

I have a set of Gear Wrench line wrenches I'm pretty proud of.

Search this Thread