Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

Craftsman 10A Reciprocating Saw: Is 10A enough?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Craftsman 10A Reciprocating Saw: Is 10A enough?

What's up fellas? I asked for a sawzall for Christmas and my parents got me this. My primary uses will be light and medium duty tasks, such as cutting through thin metal and possibly making holes in drywall. I also plan on getting a welder for my graduation, which could lead to increased use of the saw.

Is 10A sufficient? Should I upgrade to 12A? It is still new in box with a gift receipt. Just wondering what you thought about it. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like for what you will use it for it should be fine. The things that make this type of saw really useful and handy are the blade change options like the keyless levers. I don't think anyone even makes the crappy old allen key type anymore. For the common user all the other stuff is really never noticed. That is a great gift!
Old 12-15-2005, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

10 amps will be just fine for whatever you are doing. Usually, when cutting metal you want it to have a nice speed, because you really don't use excessive pressure on metal. Now, if you are going to cut wood and use it for construction that's a different story.

Me and my dad use and abuse our 10amp sawzall at work it's very strong and keeps going forever.

Also, since you noted you wanted a Sawzall, note that you are really not getting one until you buy a Milwaukee, which I highly recommend. We use that one and it has never let us down, that thing is strong and just won't break. Craftsman on the other hand...I dunno, I wouldn't trust them so much, haven't heard very good things about them.

Some others might have a different opinion, but if you are gonna be using it at it's full speed to cut stuff like metal which requires continues high speed, you want it to last, that's why I recommend Milwaukee, it's worth the price.

VERDICT:
For what you'll be using it for, the power is enough and you should be very happy. My main concern for us (heavy construction) is reliability, but depending on how much you'll use yours, it's up to you to decide.

Last edited by marko3xl3; 12-15-2005 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:52 AM

I'm sure it'll do fine. My dad and I Happen to have a few recipracating saws. We keep the low quality ones like the black and decker at our business. I've used it alot lately. One thning that Annoys me is one that isn't variable speed, its hard to start cutting metal with a saw at full speed.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:56 AM

i use dewalt tools, and have found so many uses for my recip. saw.

youll enjoy it.

good luck