YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Product Reviews (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f105/)
-   -   K&N Kits (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f105/k-n-kits-260254/)

Dylan Wolfe 10-19-2012 07:38 AM

K&N Kits

I have had a toyota all my life, just raised to believe that no other truck car or SUV was worth the time or money. But I must say, with three 4Runners, and a Tacoma in the driveway, everyone has a K&N kit under the hood. The best thing you can do for $300 to you rig is a K&N full bypass kit. If you just put a filter at the end of a stock intake, it won't do it. If possible get a kit that is one slightly curbed elbow that rams straight into your throttle and shell out the extra hundred for the heat shield, you won't regret it. I will never own a Yoda without one of these kits.

snobdds 10-19-2012 07:51 AM

Umm...don't want to burst your bubble here, but the OEM set-up is a cold air intake engineered specifically for the truck. It's actually better than the K&N because it doesn't use an oil soaked filter which can ruin MAF sensors and gunk up TB and intakes. A high quality paper filter is a much better approach to filtering the intake air...and you guessed it...it comes stock from the factory that way.

Besides getting oilier, dirty air into the intake does nothing if your choke point is still the TB. Only so much volume of air can pass through it, so having a high flow air filter is pointless. Yes, it sounds cool, but most of us know function > form.

Hate to say this but, you’re the victim of a good marketing campaign...or you work for them. :ignore:

bob200587 10-19-2012 09:55 AM

They let in too much dirt. I switched back to do paper.

Vang530 10-27-2012 07:38 PM

Only good on the street, anything else paper.

bob200587 10-27-2012 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Vang530 (Post 51991621)
Only good on the street, anything else paper.

^ wisdom.

SkybluYota 04-23-2013 07:21 PM

Yeah, im not to impressed with mine. It draws hot air outta the engine bay. It is way louder. people can never here me at the drive thru. and no noticeable mileage/power gain. Does look cool though

Teuf 04-23-2013 07:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I installed one only because I got it free (filter that is) and I tig welded a mount. Previous to that I had a paper filter, and previous to that I had a KnN. Of which was in my vehicle for 15 years or more. My (hot) air filter is noisy I guess, I never noticed.Attachment 163080

raretaco02 10-22-2013 05:36 AM

With every combination you can almost think of , the fipk does next to nothing and a k/n along with amsoil and a few cone filters do help very little but your mass air ,tb, don't like your k/n (oil) although you may but I'm running a spectre tube with spectre filter but a fabbed a tread plate alum box with ram air set up (all custom n no half a~~ job) and this is how I seen any real improvement

Markat155 08-03-2014 11:58 AM

Mixed reviews on the K&N kit. I was almost sold, but now I think I'll continue researching.