Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

31X10.5R15 Nokian Rotiiva

Old 11-11-2013, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
31X10.5R15 Nokian Rotiiva

Hey there,

Figured I'd start a thread about these particular tires. Seems no one has posted about the Rotiivas, and I'd like to help out anyone else considering these tires. I will be updating and editing this as my tires wear. So stay tuned!

*** More Photos to come too **

Review UPDATED 05.04.14

Shortly after summer ended, I had to start thinking about replacing the worn MT's my 4Runner came with, I was considering the usual suspects: BFG's / Yokohamas / Michelins etc.

I ended up talking with some local shops, reading reviews online, and really had to determine what I wanted out of my tires. I came to the conclusion I needed:
  • Great on road handling characteristics
  • Capable off road handling (light/medium terrain)
  • Wet / Snow traction
  • Low Noise
  • Decent Tread Life
  • Severe Weather Rated

The majority of my driving is about 80% Highway, with the rest being city/off road. Keeping in mind that my truck is a daily driver, and I don't beat up on it. So a BFG AT would be a bit overkill for my needs. Having a tire that was severe weather rated was also hard to find too. (In a style that I liked.)

The Yokohama Geolandars were considered, but had heard issues about their wet traction not being as advertised. Locally, Kal-Tire is the shop that my family uses for all our tires, and being a long time customer both personally and commercially, we usually always get a deal. They also happen to be the distributor for Nokian in BC. I figured I'd bite the bullet and figure out all the hype on these tires.

Quality
The tire is well designed, loaded with tons of Nokian 'technology'. 3D siping, cooling ribs, stabilizers, stone ejectors etc.

My eyes usually glaze over when someone mentions anything about tire features. Not that it isn't important, I just find manufacturers like to tack on fluff -- just another tag line to put in their product brochure. However, I found the level of detail put into these tires to exceed my expectations in person. I don't know how much cooler those 'cooling ribs' keep my tires vs. brand X -- but I'll let that one slide.

Rest assured, its a well built tire. Besides, those tread wear indicators are pretty neat too. (You can check out an in-depth explanation here.)

Road Noise
Quite low, which was a nice contrast to the loud MTs my truck came with.

Fuel Consumption
Improved from the MTs, but its around whats expected of a 4:10 geared truck pushing 31's: 19-21 MPG. No complaints here.

Wet Traction
Excellent wet traction. Had a near collision with a deer on the highway. 110km/hr in pouring rain, pitch black. Control and handling was consistent during the manoeuvre to avoid it. Definitely got my heart pounding, knowing that my older worn tires would not have handled that situation the same. I hate deer.

Offroad/Snow
Never had an issue during our mild and wet west coast winter. The few days we actually had snow was fun. Tires handled slush and snow with equal ease. Especially on the highway.These tires do inspire confidence, but I didn't try to push the limit.

Tread Wear
Only knock I have on them is how small rocks seem to get stuck in the tire. Only in the sipping, never the main pattern. Really this issue is minor, and happens to all tires that have such aggressive sipes. They do eventually eject out of the tire. They are still quiet, and look great. Wear has been normal, and seems like I'll be getting full value on tread life with regular maintenance.

Here is how they look after 10,000KM:

Rears

Fronts

*Rears will wear out more than the fronts because of RWD in 2H.*

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

I am no way affiliated with any tire manufacturer. I believe in understanding the product you use. Here is some information about Nokian, and this particular tire. I did not write the below information. It was all via Nokian publications.

About Nokian
Nokian Tyres PLC (Finnish: Nokian Renkaat Oyj), headquartered in Nokia, Finland, produces tyres for cars, trucks, buses, and heavy-duty equipment. Known for its winter tyres, Nokian operates the only permanent winter tyre testing facility in the world. The company's Hakkapeliitta brand name is recognised in Finland as a reputable trademark.
About Rotiiva
The new Nokian Rotiiva AT (All Terrain) rolls effectively both on and off the road. This sturdy, special tyre guarantees optimal performance without compromising safety or driving comfort. It completes the versatile SUV and 4x4 range from Nokian Tyres.

Rotiiva AT is excellent on asphalt or gravel, but also moves with ease in lighter off-road conditions. The sturdy structure and tailored, cut-resistant tread compound give the tyre excellent durability when used with heavier cars, as well. The comprehensive selection of sizes is aimed at light trucks, larger SUVs, and pick-ups.

The aggressive tread pattern of the new product, and especially its wide, polished grooves maximise grip and handling in rapidly changing summer conditions. Thanks to a unique tread pattern, the tyre also cleans easily and runs effortlessly on a soft platform.
Specs
Size 31X10.50R15
Service Description 109 S
Load Range C
UTQG 700A A
Tread Depth 13
Tire Weight 42.99 lbs
Rim Width Range 7.5-9.5
Section Width 10.5
Overall Diameter 30.3
Revs Per Km 414

Last edited by JRSJ; 05-04-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:32 PM

How do you like them man I'm bout to need tires and I want something that's gonna last on the road and mild off-road
Old 01-21-2014, 03:29 PM

So far I have around 4500 KM on them. Awesome wet/ice traction, and have handled everything this winter has thrown at it. (Though our winter has been unusually warm and mild on Vancouver Island this year) I haven't gotten to test them in snow as much as I wanted.

I still recommend them -- and I'll be updating my experiences with them after my first rotation.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:58 PM

I bought a set after reading your review and they were great all winter. We got a ton of snow in Ontario this year, 10000 miles with 80% left on the rears and can just make out the 100% marker on the fronts. I will be buying a set for the 4runner this fall. Great review thanks a lot.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by CanYota
I bought a set after reading your review and they were great all winter. We got a ton of snow in Ontario this year, 10000 miles with 80% left on the rears and can just make out the 100% marker on the fronts. I will be buying a set for the 4runner this fall. Great review thanks a lot.
I'm glad you're enjoying your Nokians! Stoked that my review was helpful to you.

Last edited by JRSJ; 05-04-2014 at 10:51 PM.