Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Whiskeytown ,French Gulch Area

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So uh, was it a grow op. or a meth lab?

Also, every time I see pics of your runner it reminds me that I need a house with a garage so I can teach myself to weld!
Old 11-08-2010, 03:39 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
hmmm...bushy tails....tasty.... nice pics and lots of fun.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:27 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by DirtyOregonKid
So uh, was it a grow op. or a meth lab?

Also, every time I see pics of your runner it reminds me that I need a house with a garage so I can teach myself to weld!

Thanks !
Originally Posted by muddpigg
hmmm...bushy tails....tasty.... nice pics and lots of fun.
yea they do taste pretty good .. and i wish i could live out there , but i do have to work
Old 11-09-2010, 02:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
that place looks nice RMA. when are you going to invite me, lol
Old 11-09-2010, 04:11 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dark_fairytales
that place looks nice RMA. when are you going to invite me, lol
Lets go man .. im going this weekend or next depending what the rangers tell me . Im still waiting on their call . if alls good im going back this weekend .. mainly to put up more signs and check that the ones i already put up are still there.

so i wont know until the end of the week thou.. But A your welcome to come, i can point you in the direction id like a new road and go for it

mr pottery and all the others mak and so on are all welcome man ..Also, Bring your gold panning stuff because theres gold in them there hills . ill let you keep 20% of what ever you find
Old 11-14-2010, 08:13 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

so a little update on the illegal activity deal .. the rangers called me on friday , they did catch three guys with weapons up there. they ended up staking the place out instead of just removing it all.

the ranger i spoke to said it was a big deal and they believed it was a cartel operation.

they told me they would clean up the site ,i didnt have to worry about any clean up . im glad because they had piping all over the place and they will take care of that to, along with the trash .

so im going back next weekend , gonna put up more signs and take some pics .
Old 11-14-2010, 08:27 AM

Man it really good to see that you are not only taking your son along but teaching him things along the way. So many father's don't do that.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:01 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by michael1963
Man it really good to see that you are not only taking your son along but teaching him things along the way. So many father's don't do that.
Thanks Michael .. we have fun ..
Old 11-21-2010, 05:11 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

so we ended up going again this weekend along with darkfairytales .

it rained and snowed on us but had a good time any way ..
heres the pics

theres a couple of the trash the scumbages left us .. the rangers havent cleaned it all up yet. ill call them tomorrow and see whats up , i really need that crap gone ..

Can anybody tell me what kind of mushrooms these are , and are they edible.

i probably wont eat them even if they are edible , but just wondering.

Last edited by RMA; 11-23-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:33 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Messing with mushroom can be very dangerous to the point so look so closely alike between edible and poisous that you just don't eat them in curtain areas. Been trying to get in to mushroom huntering for a couple years still haven't eaten anything I've found. Next spring looking into a club.

Looks like fun except for the abandoned refugee camp y'all found. Was it a meth lab or just a camp?
Old 11-21-2010, 06:44 PM

Hey RMA, that's up in my neck of the woods! I live in Redding, and me and the kids go hiking, wheeling, kayaking, swimming, fishing in Whiskeytown all the time.

If ya ever need someone to keep an eye on the land, shoot me a PM, I'd be glad to check on it when I'm that way. I'm super happy for any excuse I can get to head out to the woods

Those cartels are a real problem up here. Good thing CA voted to keep them in business....

Or if you want a fishing partner or something when you're up here, I'll do that too

Looks like you all had some nice trips up here.

TO anyone asking about wheeling up here

You can go just about anywhere. There are trails in the Shasta/Trinity forest, Whiskeytown area, plus there is the Chappie Shasta off highway vehicle area. Link:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/reddi...onohvmain.html

Last edited by stomper4x4; 11-21-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:15 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
don't eat those those are not edible. I see them at the elevation where your property is but I can't remember the name. I will consult the "Mushrooms Demystified" book and get back to you.
We get KILLER mushrooms around here. I mean KILLER as in the taste and quality. Matsutake, Chantrelle, Boletus, Oyster, Lions Mane, Morels. Right now the Matsis are under the Tan Oaks. I found a bunch a few weeks back as well as Chantrelle's.
These are the very prized and hard to find Matsutake!!

Last edited by toyospearo; 11-21-2010 at 07:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
stomper4x4 (11-21-2010)
Old 11-22-2010, 07:00 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by stomper4x4
Hey RMA, that's up in my neck of the woods! I live in Redding, and me and the kids go hiking, wheeling, kayaking, swimming, fishing in Whiskeytown all the time.

If ya ever need someone to keep an eye on the land, shoot me a PM, I'd be glad to check on it when I'm that way. I'm super happy for any excuse I can get to head out to the woods

Those cartels are a real problem up here. Good thing CA voted to keep them in business....

Or if you want a fishing partner or something when you're up here, I'll do that too

Looks like you all had some nice trips up here.

TO anyone asking about wheeling up here

You can go just about anywhere. There are trails in the Shasta/Trinity forest, Whiskeytown area, plus there is the Chappie Shasta off highway vehicle area. Link:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/reddi...onohvmain.html

I will definetly take you up on the offer , ill let you know when I go up there again , see if your free. PM sent.

and thats some great info on the trails , i for one dont know of any up there , just dont spend enough time up there.
Thanks for the link ..
Old 11-22-2010, 07:06 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by toyospearo
don't eat those those are not edible. I see them at the elevation where your property is but I can't remember the name. I will consult the "Mushrooms Demystified" book and get back to you.
We get KILLER mushrooms around here. I mean KILLER as in the taste and quality. Matsutake, Chantrelle, Boletus, Oyster, Lions Mane, Morels. Right now the Matsis are under the Tan Oaks. I found a bunch a few weeks back as well as Chantrelle's.
These are the very prized and hard to find Matsutake!!

Yea i wasnt gonna eat them .. but just wondering because there are quit a few of them out there.

I dont know anything about mushrooms never really been in to them , but those that you have pictured are huge man .dude your a regular mountain man .

i was going to pm you before we left but i was in such a hurry after work it didnt happen . next time ill pm you and maybe you have some free time to swing by for some coffee or just to kick back .
Old 11-22-2010, 02:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
yeah hey, sorry i wasn't able to make it out there with y'all. too much going on lately and not enough time. we usually go up to Dunsmuir around this time of year and hang out at a friend's rental house, but this year we didn't do it. next time we do go, i'll hit you up to see if you wanna check our your land. looks like you guys had some fun in the cold and wet though, hehe.

glad to hear those guys are off your property now. perhaps you need to meet a neighbor or something and ask them to peruse your property once a month or so to keep an eye on things. were they growing up there or was it a drug lab or something? that BS happens everywhere these days, too bad it was on your land...and good thing they didn't see you when you first found out seeing how they were armed.

wish I had the know how to go picking gourmet mushrooms, those look mighty tasty! i guess to really be sure of what you're eating, you most likely can't be colorblind, so i'm out.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:25 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by highonpottery
yeah hey, sorry i wasn't able to make it out there with y'all. too much going on lately and not enough time. we usually go up to Dunsmuir around this time of year and hang out at a friend's rental house, but this year we didn't do it. next time we do go, i'll hit you up to see if you wanna check our your land. looks like you guys had some fun in the cold and wet though, hehe.

glad to hear those guys are off your property now. perhaps you need to meet a neighbor or something and ask them to peruse your property once a month or so to keep an eye on things. were they growing up there or was it a drug lab or something? that BS happens everywhere these days, too bad it was on your land...and good thing they didn't see you when you first found out seeing how they were armed.

wish I had the know how to go picking gourmet mushrooms, those look mighty tasty! i guess to really be sure of what you're eating, you most likely can't be colorblind, so i'm out.

forget camping in the rain and snow lets go to your friends house .. way better

yea did you see the link stomper posted there are all kinds of trails around there .. we can access them from down the street , not to far .

when the wearther gets better we should plan something out there.
Colorblind! .. yea id stay away from the mushrooms
Old 11-26-2010, 08:55 PM

Nice spot

Looks like a nice piece of land. The stream is nice and big also. Did you have the snorkel at squaw ridge? Looks good but I don't remember it being on there.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:35 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by chrismcdowell25
Looks like a nice piece of land. The stream is nice and big also. Did you have the snorkel at squaw ridge? Looks good but I don't remember it being on there.
hey chris .. thanks, and yea i didnt have the snorkel back then ,made it after squaw.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:03 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

so went out deer hunting with my son and some friends , was going to stay until wednesday but a trip to the emergency room had me come home early.. i guess its true , im getting old
while i was at the hospital saturday my friends killed 3 deer . one on my property one on blm land bordering the north of my property and one right across the street on the park property.

I just bought a pop up and was the first time taking it out .. really so much nicer than sleeping on the ground .. i did do the spring over conversion and brought it up 3 inches , helped alot.

depending on what my doctor tells me tomorrow, i might go out in 2 weeks to try and get me one of them deer

heres a couple pics ..i also bought one of those zodi showers and it also worked great , was worth the money.

the deer that were killed, one was a 4 pointer one a 9 pointer and one a 10 pointer all killed this saturday .

Old 09-18-2011, 08:24 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Wow!!! Those are decent bucks! 9 point? 10 point? Are you county all the tines or just one side?
I am headed up hobo clutch thus week. Can't wait.

Quick Reply: Whiskeytown ,French Gulch Area