Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Whiskeytown ,French Gulch Area

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 09:16 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Whiskeytown ,French Gulch Area

Well I have some property in this area and have not been there in about 2 years , weather was nice and decided to take a drive up there and do a little camping we were there thursday morning to satuday afternoon.

No crazy pictures since it was my son and I all alone , any 4 wheeling we did was done without pictures since I was worried and listening for any noises the truck might make that shoulnt be there.My son was just holding on.

We had a good time , redding was having some kind of old car show ,there was all kinds of really nice oldies driving around.WE also met an old man panning for gold , he actually had some and was showing us how to do it.I went ahead and let him do his thing since he wasnt really bothering us .

We 4wheeled and crossed a portion of Clear creek that passes through my property it was about 2' to 2' 1/2 feet deep the Truck made it with no problem, it was about 25 yards wide at this point.

I now wish I would have taken more pics.

Here is a few of the ones I did take.

Litter bugs dumping trash on my property

FRying up the Bacon.

I definitly need to add a switch for the rear window somewhere in the back .

My brakes were not holding up very well coming down the dirt road from the highest point on the property, need to check them out.

I also need to hurry up and finish my new motor since I did hear a slight knock coming from the bottom end of the 3.0.

Last edited by RMA; 10-18-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome pictures! I was up by trinity last week and it's beautiful up there now.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:18 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Yea , The scenery and the weather are really nice right now.
It was a bit cold at night thou. The old timer that was panning there told me that last month the water level was about 4 to 5" higher than in those pictures.

To bad the parks showers were closed, we paid the $5 day pass fee just to find out the showers were closed till next month.

WE had to use water from clear creek and warm it up a bit because the water was so cold.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:39 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

so 1 1/2yrs later end up going hunting with some friends with a jeep, used my property as a base camp then just drove up the street a little to hunt the morning and afternoon around French Gulch area.

one friend had a bear tag and deer tag .. saw a bunch of does but no bucks or bears.
killed a bunch of squirrels and my son caught a fish. we caught a few crawfish and picked a bunch of berries.

had fun... my son shot a 12 gauge for the first time .. didnt llike it the 22 and the 9mm he did like .
and wow looking at the old pics my son seems to like wearing the same shirt when we go out there ..

Old 10-18-2010, 10:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jeez, I thought I lived in a pretty place. I would live in a tent year-round if I had property like yours.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:43 AM

Sweet land!! How did that gray squirrel taste?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:39 AM

That looks like proper livin' !!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:18 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Dirt Driver
Jeez, I thought I lived in a pretty place. I would live in a tent year-round if I had property like yours.

i just wish it was a little closer , 4 hr drive makes it to where i dont go up there to much .

Originally Posted by richf
Sweet land!! How did that gray squirrel taste?

it was actually really good , was mine and my sons first time eating them .
Originally Posted by DirtyOregonKid
That looks like proper livin' !!
Yea , its fun and relaxing out there, just wish the water wasnt so ice cold .. i think were going again this coming weekend , deer season closes sunday .
Old 10-19-2010, 08:28 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Sweet!
I know that area! That is close to my neck of the woods. I am headed up French Gulch and Hobo Gulch this week. That is a little west of where you guys were.
Nice pics!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:18 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
What kind of wheeling is out there, Robert? that'd be kinda cool to have a casual group like what we had at rattlesnake bar and head up there... of course, with your permission.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice pics. deer seasons almost ove rin cali? wow. bow season just opened 2 weekends ago here in VA.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Good stuff man, me jealous!
Old 10-19-2010, 01:55 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by toyospearo
Sweet!
I know that area! That is close to my neck of the woods. I am headed up French Gulch and Hobo Gulch this week. That is a little west of where you guys were.
Nice pics!
Yea its almost in you back yard .. were off of Trinity Mountain rd between the town of French gulch and hwy 299.

hows your hunting season going , any luck?

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
What kind of wheeling is out there, Robert? that'd be kinda cool to have a casual group like what we had at rattlesnake bar and head up there... of course, with your permission.
yea man anytime you feel like driving far far away we can go , and the only trails around there i know of are the ones in the books i have , there pretty much easy scenic trails .. but since its in toyos back yard maybe he can guide us ,show us around ..
Originally Posted by yoder519
nice pics. deer seasons almost ove rin cali? wow. bow season just opened 2 weekends ago here in VA.

well in that area for the most part yes its closing , i think there is a zone open along the coast for a few more weeks .
Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Good stuff man, me jealous!
Thanks man .. hey logan what ever happened to your front locker the true trac, did it break or what was the deal with that thing .
Old 10-21-2010, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awesome trip

Thats such an awesome get-away from city life :-) ... great pictures .. ntoe to self = gotta plan a camping trip soon ... now just get my truck offroad worthy
Old 10-22-2010, 08:27 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hgill
Thats such an awesome get-away from city life :-) ... great pictures .. ntoe to self = gotta plan a camping trip soon ... now just get my truck offroad worthy
Thanks !!

hey when you get your truck going send me a pm and see if we cant get out to hollister one day ..
Old 10-22-2010, 07:47 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RMA
Yea its almost in you back yard .. were off of Trinity Mountain rd between the town of French gulch and hwy 299.

hows your hunting season going , any luck?

yea man anytime you feel like driving far far away we can go , and the only trails around there i know of are the ones in the books i have , there pretty much easy scenic trails .. but since its in toyos back yard maybe he can guide us ,show us around ..

well in that area for the most part yes its closing , i think there is a zone open along the coast for a few more weeks .

Thanks man .. hey logan what ever happened to your front locker the true trac, did it break or what was the deal with that thing .
Got this buck in B zone in the Trinity Alps Friday morning. I hiked 6 miles in and spent two nights in there. On the third day I saw this buck and HUGE 4 x 4. The 4 x 4 wasn't having any of it and took off this one stopped just for a second and POW! I boned him out and packed him and my gear out 6 miles. I got to the Post Office to sign it off and the lady weighed my pack 144lbs! ahahha now my back is sore.
Lots of bucks moving out of the alps due to this new storm..
I tagged out this year. One in archery and one in rifle!

Last edited by toyospearo; 10-22-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:12 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by toyospearo
Got this buck in B zone in the Trinity Alps Friday morning. I hiked 6 miles in and spent two nights in there. On the third day I saw this buck and HUGE 4 x 4. The 4 x 4 wasn't having any of it and took off this one stopped just for a second and POW! I boned him out and packed him and my gear out 6 miles. I got to the Post Office to sign it off and the lady weighed my pack 144lbs! ahahha now my back is sore.
Lots of bucks moving out of the alps due to this new storm..
I tagged out this year. One in archery and one in rifle!

Niice !!that buck looks healthy. my friends are up there right now , i wasnt able to go .
Since ive been in califonia i never really started hunting , all the guns i do have are still at my parents house in texas, i dont have any here.
i need to get me a rifle , and think i found the one i want its a tikka 270 hopefully next year i can get more involved in hunting .

thanks for sharing the pics man ..and i know how rough the terrain is up there and cant imagine walking 6 miles with all that weight .

What caliber rifle you using out there?
Old 10-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats looks like fun! And a great experience for your son too.

I wish i had a TG shirt haha
Old 11-07-2010, 02:51 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

so went back out this weekend to see if my friends could fill their bear tags .. no luck with the bears. Although there is alot of Sockeye salmon spawning and bear poop ,along with half eaten fish laying here and there . just no luck seeing a live bear.

I did get a very unpleasant surprise though .

while my friends went on to BLM land my son and i stayed on my property and decided to hike parts of the property we dont normally go see. This parcel is 1/4 mile wide and borders whiskeytown national park its 1 mile long facing east from the park, any way we normally stay around the creek area .

we started up towards the top along a large drainage ditch deal , about 150 yrds up I could see that a grey tarp up another 100yrds was being used like a wall .. i was thinking ohh no
what the heck is that , got a little closer and decided something was wrong turned to my son and signald to him to be quiet and head back down .

we got to the bottom and got in the truck and took off fast to get a park ranger .. told him what i saw and though was going on .. he said it was very common around these parts especially in the park..
he told me he would meet me there .

about 10 minutes later 4 rangers with automatic weapons show up , they head up there and found lots of illegal activity had been taking place there . they showed me pictures and logged in gps coordinates. told me within 24 hrs the task force would show up to remove everything.

i was really shocked and couldnt believe it .went to the local hardware store bought 6 no trespassing signs and started posting them .

i cant believe all this was going on on my property , i hope they catch these guys and lock them up , only because they were on my property.

any way they told me they would contact me and let me know what all they did .
i didnt get any pics because i was more worried about my son and I getting out of there ok .

we did get abunch of squirrels

and my son made a bow and arrow and was trying to catch some salmon. no luck ..

Last edited by RMA; 11-07-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:30 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
man... that looks like fun!!!
my dad and i used to do things like that when i was little... havent done anything since i was ten or so, tho...

Quick Reply: Whiskeytown ,French Gulch Area