Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Webster Pass, CO - A Terrifying experience and a warning

Old 07-29-2009, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Webster Pass, CO - A Terrifying experience and a warning

I was going to head up to Red Cone pass but took a wrong turn and some how ended up on Webster pass. About half way up there was a blow out/wash out in the road that makes the road almost two feet narrower !!. I tried backing up the pass but wasn't able to so I decided to go around the blowout in the road.

I had to put the left side of the runner WAY up on the mountain and as I drove around it I started to feel the road give way under my back rear tire and I gassed it and cleared the blow out just as ever more of it gave way.

After that I had to stop collect myself for a couple minutes and proceed up the pass and came to a pretty good sized bolder that had fallen in the road. With the help of my wife, a passing dirtbiker, my winch and a crowbar we were able to clear the rock off the road.

I thought I was done after that but as I came around the top I saw a good sized snow drift covering the road. We tried to winch the runner over the snow bank but after almost rolling it twice we realized that wasn't going to work.

Well after sitting there for 20 minutes weighing my options about ready to call the rescue crews when about 2 jeeps, a truck and an excursion come up the other side of the pass with shovels, axes and ropes.

The guys said they saw us almost fall off the blow out and realized we were stuck at the snow drift and needed help.

Well after 2 hours of digging, chopping and shoveling, we opened Webster pass and we were able to get over the mountain and go down the Montezuma side.

Until someone does something about the road blowout halfway up the pass, its not safe for something bigger than a dirt bike.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds pretty scary. Its a good thing those people saw you two. Glad you made it out in one piece. Sounds like it could have gone very badly for you. Someone needs to put up a sign or close a gate.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:15 PM

Glad you made it.

Where was it? should put "warning sign" in there....

http://www.geocities.com/peteuga/Red_Conex.html
Old 08-03-2009, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Its always good to talk to the Forest Service about these things. I usually try to check in with them to see what is open and closed. Of course you didn't mean to take a wrong turn.

Last edited by mt_goat; 08-03-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:45 AM

Wow, what a story. It sounds like you had the standard equipment for wheeling, but who could have forseen a wash-out, boulder, and snow drift? Glad you're okay.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtn Mike
Wow, what a story. It sounds like you had the standard equipment for wheeling, but who could have forseen a wash-out, boulder, and snow drift? Glad you're okay.
Actually that is pretty common for trails that haven't been opened for the summer yet.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Talk about a clencher!!! I'm glad to hear that you made it out alright!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 09:20 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad everyone is OK.

Usually, the FS won't open Redcone until Webster Pass is clear. Glad the drift was down far enough to where it was even possible for you to get through ... previous years you would have been REALLY stuck.

Pictures from Webster Pass 7/7/07
http://cottora.shutterfly.com/1507

Pictures from Redcone 8/24/08
http://cottora.shutterfly.com/3028
Old 08-03-2009, 10:42 AM

Got any pics? :-)
Old 08-03-2009, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Actually that is pretty common for trails that haven't been opened for the summer yet.
Yea I knew Webster was closed and had ZERO intention of going up it but I don't know if I just took wrong turn or someone switched some signs around.

By the time I realized I was on Webster pass I had already made several turns around the mountain. I tried to back up but it became VERY clear VERY quickly that my 4runner wasn't going to make the turns without the front end going off the edge. Between the loose grave and my wife screaming were gonna die over and over my driving abilities in reverse were not that good either LOL.

I expected maybe a SLIGHT wash out here and there and MAYBE some snow but a boulder the size of a washing machine was a REAL hoot.

I was amazed that my winch was able to move it much less drag it 30 feet while we slid it over towards the side. It almost went over the side with the winch still hooked up too .

It was the first time I had to actally use my winch aside from spooling the cable on after installing it. The Warn 9.5XP is a unreal winch and if your thinking of getting a M8000 save the couple hundred more and go for the 9.5.

When we tried winching it over the snowbank the ARB bumper started pushing snow and finally got instead of the winch pulling my runner it started dragging the Ford Excursion Diesel I was hooked to towards me LOL. I guess they build those ARBS pretty good.

But yea I tired to be prepared with the necessary gear so as not to get in the situation I did. But a small shovel, a tree strap, hi-lift jack, and a 357 mag with a extra box of shells can only help so much LOL.

But aside from the washout,boulder and snow drift the trail was amazing and the views unreal. Not to mention watching people come down the side of RedCone is a hoot. I had my highpower binoculars and was able to see the half yeehaw and half terror looks on their faces LOL.

Hopefully next year I'm going to get with some locals and follow them up the Red Cone.