Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Trip To White River Campground At Mt. Rainier National Park August 2010

Old 08-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Trip To White River Campground At Mt. Rainier National Park August 2010

I do prefer backcountry camping to a pay per site campground such as Mt. Rainier, but I did that last year, and I wanted to visit Mt. Rainier again.
My next trip out will more than likely be in the foothills of Mt. Rainier, the Greenwater area which has miles upon miles of area to camp for free by rivers and creeks.

I never tire of Mt. Rainier though, as I started camping there in the 90’s when my two sons were small and we had our second tent trailer.
The views of “The Mountain” as most of us call it that live in the Pacific Northwest are spectacular.

Speaking of views, the site across from me is the best one in the place out of the 112 sites available there.
Of course that spot is very hard to get since it does offer a full time view of the mountain.
People also will walk to the fence that is a few feet back from the cliff to shoot pictures of Rainier, so you always have foot traffic at the end of your site.
The campground is situated at the 4,400’ level, and more info on the campground can be found here.
http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail...lid=HGW297-031

While the area is very nice, it can also get very dusty and hot there as it did this week with a heat wave going on back in town.
I brought my own shower, a Zodi Hotman Extreme, and I saw others too that have the hanging solar showers from a tree.
Many do not have one, and I am glad they keep their distance from me

The site is very popular for car camping which I was doing, backpackers wanting to get way far up into the wilderness, and those who came to setup a base camp to go out and hike all day and return before dinner to go out again the very next day, and those who come and park in the climbers lot that are ascending the mountain to its summit.

Most of the sites were occupied by tent campers with a wide variety of tent manufacturers, and some RVs such as small motorhomes and full size trucks with nice campers on them, and also tent trailers.
As it was two years ago when I was up there, I was the lone roof top tent up there.
Many have never seen or heard of a roof top tent before, so I was busy passing out some AutoHome brochures I got from Mike at AutoHome.
Hey Mike, I need some more.
Needless to say I was very busy fielding questions on the tent and many had to climb the ladder to take a peak inside.
The staring at it never ceased by those who walked or drove by looking for a site to claim.

First night there I saw a woman who wandered into my camp and said “hello there neighbor.”
She was curious about the FJ and the tent, and I talked with here many a times over the course of my stay up there and met her boyfriend too.
They were across from me and down a few sites.
Turns out she is originally from Columbia and had the accent to prove it.
She is a school teacher from the Los Angeles area, and they were taking about a month to explore the mountain ranges between there and Rainier.
They had full mountaineering equipment with them and would go out and day hike up to the glaciers as they were fully prepared for it.
They had planned on pushing off by Monday the 16th to drive down to Mt. Adams and ascend the mountain to its summit.
Very nice people, and we talked for hours about camping in general and all the camping toys I had.
They are pretty hardcore at camping, and remind me of myself twenty years ago when I use to get out a lot more often.

The people right next to me are local from the Gig Harbor area.
They were camped there for the long haul, about two weeks.
Sunday (today as I write this) would be one week, and they plan on one more.
They make the trek to buy ice (Mt. Rainier really should offer ice at the lodge up at Sunrise, they would make a killing on it) about every four days down to the town of Greenwater that I driver through on my way up.

The setup they had was pretty cool, and I have a few pictures of it.
It consists of a huge REI two bedroom tent and a screenroom they attached to the other door.
The screenroom is floorless so they have a tarp down.
They cook inside of it and have chairs to relax bug free.
I am a huge target for bugs, but they really go after her.
Some will scoff and say that is not camping, but if it keeps them comfortable and gets them out, then I say more power to them.
They did go out quite a bit to hike during the day, and twice they drove up to Sunrise which is the highest place you can drive to in the park to watch the Perseids Meteor showers.
I missed it, as peak viewing time is around 2 am PST.

I sleep so well on these trips, I was in the tent from around 10 PM to 6 am every night.
I do not get that much sleep at home, I average around five to six hours a night.
The sound of the White River below is very soothing, and lulls you to sleep.
Speaking of that…my first night I was almost asleep when I heard the pitter patter of tiny feet out on my awning.
More than likely it was that of a chipmunk that had jumped down from a tree limb above my awning.

This trip I forgot a few things at home such as my hiking boots, cord for the solar panel setup to keep the battery topped off, and I had misplaced my brackets for my new shelf setup for inside the tent.
Arghhhhhhhhh…

The combination of forgetting the solar charge controller cord, wrong shoes, and the fact that it was extremely hot up there is why I cut the trip short.
I had enough food and clothing for a week or more, and I had fully planned on staying up there that long.
Going to keep some items in the rig fulltime so no more forgetting of items, and I need to do some research too on new hiking boots.
Mine are around 21 years old, some old Vasque Gore-Tex ones from REI.

Got to try out some new gear too this year which is in a separate thread in the camping section.
You will see a lot of Mt. Rainier pictures, as that is the main reason I go there.
If I had brought my boots I would have gone a lot further up this one trail to the glacier to get some better pictures of it.
Those of us who live in the PNW are treated to views of it from most major cities here all the time on a clear day, and it is a treat to be up close to it like this and see the crevasses and summit up close.

Gotta have food, here is a few shots of the fridge.
I really like the baskets I bought from Wil at Sierra Expeditions last year, I keep the cheese and fruit in them on top.

A few pictures on the way up highway 410.
This is signage when you just pass the entrance to Crystal Mountain Ski Resort a short ways back.

48° a little after 8 am, but it sure warmed up fast within a few hours to around 80°.

Arrival at my site after driving twice around the D loop (there are four loops in all) looking for a prime spot.

Yes, the propane bottle had a ratchet strap on it, had just taken it off for those concerned about safety.

One of the new ECS footlockers: one I brought outside, the other one I left in the rig.

Yeah, I was ticked I left the cable at home for the solar, I would probably still be up there with a topped off battery.

A few new items I picked up, the Camp Chef Denali stove/grille, and the 11 lb Regasco fiberglass see through propane tank.

Standing in the best site out of the 112 there.
I really wanted that one, would have made for a great view from my window by the ladder.
The river is much bigger than it looks, it is not safe to go into at all.
Yes, those are very white legs, I use sunscreen as I burn easily, and skin cancer runs in my family.
Ever since I saw what it did to my father years ago, I try to limit my time out in the sun, or wear sunscreen.

The campfire circle where the rangers give their meetings use to be right here where the ledge juts out.
It use to go way out about 30’ or more with logs to sit on, but the area there got wiped out several years ago by the river.

A view to the left of the mountain.

Sleeping quarters for a few nights.
Funny how I get so much more sleep camping, at least a good eight hours.

The new GCI table I bought from Wil at Sierra Expeditions.
Goes great with the chair I bought from him yesteryear.

Dinner the first night.
* One can of chili simmering on the Camp Chef Denali stove while I prepped the other stuff.
* Tostito brand blue chips as a base.
* One whole avocado cut up laid on bed of chips.
* Chili poured over the above.
* One whole tomato cut up and spread around the chili.
* Fine Mexican cheese sprinkled over the top of mixture.

All washed down with a Henry's rootbeer.
Those blue enameled plates are deep, so while it did not look like a whole lot, I was stuffed afterwards and prime time for the black flies up there to make me their main course.
Had a few chipmunks too put their front legs up on the table across from me looking for handouts.
Not OK to feed them, and there was even signage on the table stating we had black bears in the area roaming around looking for food, and to make sure all food and garbage were not left out during the night.

Food tastes so much better when camping.

The new washing station I picked up this year.
I like it better than the basins and drying rack I used in the past.
Got quite a few comments on it, I think REI might be getting some fresh orders for them.

Camping is not camping unless you have the campfire.
It sure helped with the black fly population after I got it going good.

Getting near bedtime.

Some random pictures of the mountain, the main attraction there.

A new neighbor with a Jayco in the coveted spot.

A view out the front triangular window in the tent.

Here is the tent I talked about earlier that the people next to me were staying in for two weeks.
They use to be avid backpackers many years ago, and now just tent camp.
Found out the husband also works just a few miles from where I do.

A Steller’s Jay as they are called in the Mt. Rainier information they hand out to you at the ranger station where you check in.
I always referred to them as Blue jays.
It was hard to get a picture of the bird, it kept moving around.

Someone had left a sign on the tree by the entrance to my site.
I left it in case they every stop by again.

That is it until the next trip.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As always - you have the sweetest camping set up and yes, I am still totally jealous.

Looks like it was an awesome trip, with or without the solar cable!

Fink
Old 08-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Fink.
And you know, Mt. Rainier is still an active volcano.
If your number is up, what better way to go than to see her blow
The devastation would reach clear down to where I live pretty much.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:00 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Looks like some well deserved R&R. Good yimes.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:08 PM

That is certainly some beautiful looking country you have down there, you can't see then views from just anywhere, nice shots.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Corey
If your number is up, what better way to go than to see her blow
That's what she said!
Sorry, I had to.

My brother lives in Seattle - he's told me about Mt. Rainier before.
Next time I come visit him I definitely need to go check out that area.

Fink
Old 08-16-2010, 05:59 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

As mentioned above, the mountain is viewable from all over WA.
Here is a view on my way home from work shot with my old cell phone the Dare before I got the Droid.
http://www.pnw4runners.com/pics/shot...ne/rainier.jpg
http://www.pnw4runners.com/pics/shot...e/rainier2.jpg

Here is a shot about a mile from my home driving through town.
http://www.pnw4runners.com/pics/shot...e/rainier3.jpg

You can see why us locals like to flock up there.

I forgot to mention earlier, the turnoff of the highway to the campground is 48.8 miles from my place.
Pretty close.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:51 PM

Looks like a cool trip Corey. Thanks for sharing. The mountain looks awesome, and is definitely someplace I need to go. BTW your neighbors were definitely camping...

Man! My Places to Visit file is getting pretty full. I may have to take more than a year off to visit all the places now!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dude x2 on the best camping set up ive ever seen. i like the toilet stall. pretty sweet
Old 08-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by jim65wagon
Looks like a cool trip Corey. Thanks for sharing. The mountain looks awesome, and is definitely someplace I need to go. BTW your neighbors were definitely camping...

Man! My Places to Visit file is getting pretty full. I may have to take more than a year off to visit all the places now!
You are welcome Jim.
Seeing the mountain all the time from town and the highway is pretty cool on a clear day, but to see it up that close from up there is breathtaking.

Originally Posted by 93yotaSR5
dude x2 on the best camping set up ive ever seen. i like the toilet stall. pretty sweet
Thanks!
Nothing like taking a shower in the morning after breakfast to wash off all of the skeeter repellent from the day before
Then you put it all back on again.

And having ones own crapper, I have had my own now since the early 80s when the X and I went camping.
All it took was one look at a gross toilet seat at a state park we were at and I told her we are getting our own.
You could not pay me to use a toilet to sit down on at a campground.
The one I bought a few years back is a pretty good unit.
I believe TRD Parts 4U on the forum sells them too.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:46 PM

Man, you don't mess around when it comes to camping gear. Even bringing the kitchen sink.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:01 PM

makin me homesick, i always loved goin up through carbonado, turn off before park entrance and go up to colby lake, then up that the 4x trail to suprise lake, best pics i ever got. anywho, love the pics u took, u should get some during spring meltoff
Old 08-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by AZ4ME
Man, you don't mess around when it comes to camping gear. Even bringing the kitchen sink.
That new item is a back saver compared to doing it on the ground with the plastic washbasins I have.

Originally Posted by jynx
makin me homesick, i always loved goin up through carbonado, turn off before park entrance and go up to colby lake, then up that the 4x trail to suprise lake, best pics i ever got. anywho, love the pics u took, u should get some during spring meltoff
I like that area.
I use to camp at Ipsut Creek campground too when the kids were small, and also I backpacked up there to the Carbon Glacier.

To bad that road is washed out now, no more access to the campground there.

Was bored, threw the pictures into Movie Maker and uploaded it to Vimeo.
I wish I had used my GoPro camera, it would have been widescreen all the way.
Hit the button to the left of the Vimeo word for full screen.