Notices
Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Old Chinaman's Gulch- 05/31/08

Old 06-22-2008, 05:25 PM
  #21  
Registered User
 
89silverpu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sierra Nevada's or the Deserts of Las Vegas
Posts: 2,203
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome pictures! Looks like not only sliders but high clearance front and rear bumpers are a necessity for this trail?
89silverpu is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 05:33 PM
  #22  
Registered User
 
yotasavg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chico Republic, NOR*CAL
Posts: 1,987
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great pics guys! looks like an awesome run!!
yotasavg is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 06:38 PM
  #23  
Contributing Member
Thread Starter
 
AxleIke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Posts: 5,464
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 89silverpu View Post
Awesome pictures! Looks like not only sliders but high clearance front and rear bumpers are a necessity for this trail?
In general yes.

If you don't have a geared transfercase and aren't running lockers, it is a pretty good chance that you will sustain damage without armor.

However, stock FJ Cruisers, taco's and 4runners have driven this trail.

Keep in mind that many of the obstacles pictured here are totally optional. Only the notch pictured below is required.


Last edited by AxleIke; 06-22-2008 at 06:40 PM.
AxleIke is offline  
Old 06-23-2008, 07:19 AM
  #24  
Registered User
 
Jacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boulder/Lafayette, CO
Posts: 176
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey - cool pics!

Last edited by Jacket; 06-23-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Jacket is offline  
Old 06-23-2008, 07:42 AM
  #25  
Registered User
 
blueyoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sudbury ON Canada
Posts: 432
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should bump the ifs whellin video post with those one. I seem to remember KELLYKEL saying "I can't take these ifs guys seriously".
blueyoda is offline  
Old 06-23-2008, 08:16 AM
  #26  
Registered User
 
Volcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pueblo, CO
Posts: 1,209
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chinamans is one of my favorite trails in CO, nice pics

I think the only time I will get to run it this year is during the CO4RJ.
Volcom is offline  
Old 06-23-2008, 08:49 AM
  #27  
Contributing Member
Thread Starter
 
AxleIke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Posts: 5,464
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Volcom View Post
Chinamans is one of my favorite trails in CO, nice pics
Same here.

It is doable as a day trip from denver, it has amazing scenery, and has enough challenge to keep it interesting.

Its awesome.
AxleIke is offline  
Old 06-23-2008, 08:51 AM
  #28  
Contributing Member
Thread Starter
 
AxleIke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Posts: 5,464
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blueyoda View Post
should bump the ifs whellin video post with those one. I seem to remember KELLYKEL saying "I can't take these ifs guys seriously".
Nah...

I saw a few of those vids in that thread, way more hardcore than these. No need to clutter it up further.
AxleIke is offline  
Old 06-30-2008, 08:28 AM
  #29  
Registered User
 
KellyKel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 211
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blueyoda View Post
should bump the ifs whellin video post with those one. I seem to remember KELLYKEL saying "I can't take these ifs guys seriously".
If you're going to quote me, at least quote me correctly.
Also "with those one," isn't even English. Dictionary.com

Looks like you guys had a good time. However, your buddy standing at the apex of the snatch block is about to win the Darwin award.
KellyKel is offline  
Old 06-30-2008, 10:30 AM
  #30  
Contributing Member
Thread Starter
 
AxleIke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Posts: 5,464
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KellyKel View Post

Looks like you guys had a good time. However, your buddy standing at the apex of the snatch block is about to win the Darwin award.
Here?



Referring to the orange shirt?

Definitely. Good catch there. Didn't even see him.

Last edited by AxleIke; 06-30-2008 at 10:31 AM.
AxleIke is offline  
Old 06-30-2008, 11:39 AM
  #31  
Registered User
 
KellyKel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 211
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winching makes me all twitchy. I think people have to see the damage from a broken cable it first hand to fully respect the dangers of winching.
KellyKel is offline  
Old 06-30-2008, 01:12 PM
  #32  
Contributing Member
Thread Starter
 
AxleIke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Posts: 5,464
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KellyKel View Post
Winching makes me all twitchy. I think people have to see the damage from a broken cable it first hand to fully respect the dangers of winching.
For sure.

Only thing that would have saved him is that the block itself would have flown on the other side of the tree. The block is about in line with that log in front of the tree. Rope could have still got him though.

Regardless, a definite safety no no.

I couldn't see where anyone was out of the windshield, but they should've known better than that.
AxleIke is offline  
Old 06-30-2008, 01:27 PM
  #33  
Registered User
 
blueyoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sudbury ON Canada
Posts: 432
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I SOry 4 Bod ENgLIsh, Are you kidding me? this is the web and people post all sorts of awfull grammer, missing an s really?

Didn't see your reply to the the oil consumption comment. Should really look at some stats before you make wild remarks I guess

Last edited by blueyoda; 06-30-2008 at 01:29 PM.
blueyoda is offline  
Old 06-30-2008, 02:34 PM
  #34  
Registered User
 
KellyKel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 211
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blueyoda View Post
I SOry 4 Bod ENgLIsh, Are you kidding me? this is the web and people post all sorts of awfull grammer, missing an s really?

Didn't see your reply to the the oil consumption comment. Should really look at some stats before you make wild remarks I guess
Really? Wow, that's amazing. I had no idea that just because it's the internet you get a free pass to doo doo all over the English language. Oh that's right, you're Canadian. Also, I do apologize for not responding to your oil consumption comment, but I must have missed it - and frankly you're not worth the time to dig up your illiterate rebuttal and set you straight. It's a personal policy of mine not to get into political debates with people who can't tie their own shoes. I am however quite pleased to know that you feel drawn to read, reply, and regurgitate every comment I make. So here's to the next gem.

Last edited by Elvota; 06-30-2008 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Censor bypass
KellyKel is offline  
Old 06-30-2008, 03:43 PM
  #35  
Registered User
 
blueyoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sudbury ON Canada
Posts: 432
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out of respect for Ikes post I will not continue this childish banter. In the future I will try to avoid Kellykel's gravatational pull as she seems to be the center of the universe.
I didn't realize basic import/export economics was a political debate, but you were the one that started the "oil thing", the republicans must have mandated that everyone burns 100 gallons a week.
I have a two degrees, EnGliSH (LOL)and Economics but I still have a tough time with the second loop on my right foot.

Last edited by blueyoda; 06-30-2008 at 03:53 PM.
blueyoda is offline  
Old 07-05-2008, 05:18 PM
  #36  
tc
Contributing Member
 
tc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 8,875
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The person in the orange shirt is me IIRC.

Um, KellyKel obviously doesn't get physics.

If the line breaks, it's going to retract in the direction the force was applied - ie directly in line between the truck and the snatch block. If the tree strap were to break, the line would want to shoot to a straight line between the trucks, but the line is too long and would never make it, especially with the weight of the snatch block on there. Same thing if the snatch block were to break.

Considering this is synthetic line, the recoil will be minimal (it will still snap back, but no like a steel line)

Where I am standing is THE SAFEST place to stand - outside the triangle, outside the direct line between the trucks. Now, if you are referring to the guy in the white shirt (Doug), you don't understand the picture - he is about 30' downhill from the snatchblock, and perfectly safe too.
tc is offline  
Old 07-05-2008, 11:04 PM
  #37  
Contributing Member
Thread Starter
 
AxleIke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Posts: 5,464
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tc View Post
The person in the orange shirt is me IIRC.
Nope.

you had on a grey shirt. Ike was wearing the orange shirt.
AxleIke is offline  
Old 07-08-2008, 05:59 AM
  #38  
Registered User
 
dirtoyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: St. Loser, Misery
Posts: 2,377
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KellyKel View Post
Really? Wow, that's amazing. I had no idea that just because it's the internet you get a free pass to doo doo all over the English language. Oh that's right, you're Canadian. Also, I do apologize for not responding to your oil consumption comment, but I must have missed it - and frankly you're not worth the time to dig up your illiterate rebuttal and set you straight. It's a personal policy of mine not to get into political debates with people who can't tie their own shoes. I am however quite pleased to know that you feel drawn to read, reply, and regurgitate every comment I make. So here's to the next gem.

You rule at winching and the English language!
dirtoyboy is offline  
Old 07-08-2008, 06:27 AM
  #39  
Registered User
 
toyminator2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 601
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blueyoda View Post
Out of respect for Ikes post I will not continue this childish banter. In the future I will try to avoid Kellykel's gravatational pull as she seems to be the center of the universe.
I didn't realize basic import/export economics was a political debate, but you were the one that started the "oil thing", the republicans must have mandated that everyone burns 100 gallons a week.
I have a two degrees, EnGliSH (LOL)and Economics but I still have a tough time with the second loop on my right foot.

Funny Post!




toyminator2000 is offline  
Old 07-10-2008, 01:17 AM
  #40  
Registered User
 
SpecialScottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sun Valley, CA
Posts: 940
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tc View Post
The person in the orange shirt is me IIRC.

Um, KellyKel obviously doesn't get physics.

If the line breaks, it's going to retract in the direction the force was applied - ie directly in line between the truck and the snatch block. If the tree strap were to break, the line would want to shoot to a straight line between the trucks, but the line is too long and would never make it, especially with the weight of the snatch block on there. Same thing if the snatch block were to break.

Considering this is synthetic line, the recoil will be minimal (it will still snap back, but no like a steel line)

Where I am standing is THE SAFEST place to stand - outside the triangle, outside the direct line between the trucks. Now, if you are referring to the guy in the white shirt (Doug), you don't understand the picture - he is about 30' downhill from the snatchblock, and perfectly safe too.
Someone got told
SpecialScottie is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Volcom
Trip-Trail Reports & Photos
6
02-17-2012 06:28 AM
Volcom
Trip-Trail Reports & Photos
5
11-10-2010 06:41 PM
Volcom
Colorado
0
11-08-2010 07:53 AM
Vermejo
Trip-Trail Reports & Photos
11
09-13-2008 05:45 PM
Volcom
Trip-Trail Reports & Photos
24
12-04-2007 07:44 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Old Chinaman's Gulch- 05/31/08


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: