Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Old Chinaman's Gulch- 05/31/08

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome pictures! Looks like not only sliders but high clearance front and rear bumpers are a necessity for this trail?
Old 06-22-2008, 05:33 PM

great pics guys! looks like an awesome run!!
Old 06-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 89silverpu
Awesome pictures! Looks like not only sliders but high clearance front and rear bumpers are a necessity for this trail?
In general yes.

If you don't have a geared transfercase and aren't running lockers, it is a pretty good chance that you will sustain damage without armor.

However, stock FJ Cruisers, taco's and 4runners have driven this trail.

Keep in mind that many of the obstacles pictured here are totally optional. Only the notch pictured below is required.

Last edited by AxleIke; 06-22-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:19 AM

Hey - cool pics!

Last edited by Jacket; 06-23-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:42 AM

should bump the ifs whellin video post with those one. I seem to remember KELLYKEL saying "I can't take these ifs guys seriously".
Old 06-23-2008, 08:16 AM

Chinamans is one of my favorite trails in CO, nice pics

I think the only time I will get to run it this year is during the CO4RJ.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Volcom
Chinamans is one of my favorite trails in CO, nice pics
Same here.

It is doable as a day trip from denver, it has amazing scenery, and has enough challenge to keep it interesting.

Its awesome.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by blueyoda
should bump the ifs whellin video post with those one. I seem to remember KELLYKEL saying "I can't take these ifs guys seriously".
Nah...

I saw a few of those vids in that thread, way more hardcore than these. No need to clutter it up further.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:28 AM

If you're going to quote me, at least quote me correctly.
Also "with those one," isn't even English. Dictionary.com

Looks like you guys had a good time. However, your buddy standing at the apex of the snatch block is about to win the Darwin award.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by KellyKel

Looks like you guys had a good time. However, your buddy standing at the apex of the snatch block is about to win the Darwin award.
Here?

Referring to the orange shirt?

Definitely. Good catch there. Didn't even see him.

Last edited by AxleIke; 06-30-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:39 AM

Winching makes me all twitchy. I think people have to see the damage from a broken cable it first hand to fully respect the dangers of winching.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

Winching makes me all twitchy. I think people have to see the damage from a broken cable it first hand to fully respect the dangers of winching.
For sure.

Only thing that would have saved him is that the block itself would have flown on the other side of the tree. The block is about in line with that log in front of the tree. Rope could have still got him though.

Regardless, a definite safety no no.

I couldn't see where anyone was out of the windshield, but they should've known better than that.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:27 PM

I SOry 4 Bod ENgLIsh, Are you kidding me? this is the web and people post all sorts of awfull grammer, missing an s really?

Didn't see your reply to the the oil consumption comment. Should really look at some stats before you make wild remarks I guess

Last edited by blueyoda; 06-30-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:34 PM

I SOry 4 Bod ENgLIsh, Are you kidding me? this is the web and people post all sorts of awfull grammer, missing an s really?

Didn't see your reply to the the oil consumption comment. Should really look at some stats before you make wild remarks I guess
Really? Wow, that's amazing. I had no idea that just because it's the internet you get a free pass to doo doo all over the English language. Oh that's right, you're Canadian. Also, I do apologize for not responding to your oil consumption comment, but I must have missed it - and frankly you're not worth the time to dig up your illiterate rebuttal and set you straight. It's a personal policy of mine not to get into political debates with people who can't tie their own shoes. I am however quite pleased to know that you feel drawn to read, reply, and regurgitate every comment I make. So here's to the next gem.

Last edited by Elvota; 06-30-2008 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Censor bypass
Old 06-30-2008, 03:43 PM

Out of respect for Ikes post I will not continue this childish banter. In the future I will try to avoid Kellykel's gravatational pull as she seems to be the center of the universe.
I didn't realize basic import/export economics was a political debate, but you were the one that started the "oil thing", the republicans must have mandated that everyone burns 100 gallons a week.
I have a two degrees, EnGliSH (LOL)and Economics but I still have a tough time with the second loop on my right foot.

Last edited by blueyoda; 06-30-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:18 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The person in the orange shirt is me IIRC.

Um, KellyKel obviously doesn't get physics.

If the line breaks, it's going to retract in the direction the force was applied - ie directly in line between the truck and the snatch block. If the tree strap were to break, the line would want to shoot to a straight line between the trucks, but the line is too long and would never make it, especially with the weight of the snatch block on there. Same thing if the snatch block were to break.

Considering this is synthetic line, the recoil will be minimal (it will still snap back, but no like a steel line)

Where I am standing is THE SAFEST place to stand - outside the triangle, outside the direct line between the trucks. Now, if you are referring to the guy in the white shirt (Doug), you don't understand the picture - he is about 30' downhill from the snatchblock, and perfectly safe too.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc
Nope.

you had on a grey shirt. Ike was wearing the orange shirt.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Really? Wow, that's amazing. I had no idea that just because it's the internet you get a free pass to doo doo all over the English language. Oh that's right, you're Canadian. Also, I do apologize for not responding to your oil consumption comment, but I must have missed it - and frankly you're not worth the time to dig up your illiterate rebuttal and set you straight. It's a personal policy of mine not to get into political debates with people who can't tie their own shoes. I am however quite pleased to know that you feel drawn to read, reply, and regurgitate every comment I make. So here's to the next gem.

You rule at winching and the English language!
Old 07-08-2008, 06:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Out of respect for Ikes post I will not continue this childish banter. In the future I will try to avoid Kellykel's gravatational pull as she seems to be the center of the universe.
I didn't realize basic import/export economics was a political debate, but you were the one that started the "oil thing", the republicans must have mandated that everyone burns 100 gallons a week.
I have a two degrees, EnGliSH (LOL)and Economics but I still have a tough time with the second loop on my right foot.

Funny Post!

Old 07-10-2008, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by tc

Um, KellyKel obviously doesn't get physics.

If the line breaks, it's going to retract in the direction the force was applied - ie directly in line between the truck and the snatch block. If the tree strap were to break, the line would want to shoot to a straight line between the trucks, but the line is too long and would never make it, especially with the weight of the snatch block on there. Same thing if the snatch block were to break.

Considering this is synthetic line, the recoil will be minimal (it will still snap back, but no like a steel line)

Where I am standing is THE SAFEST place to stand - outside the triangle, outside the direct line between the trucks. Now, if you are referring to the guy in the white shirt (Doug), you don't understand the picture - he is about 30' downhill from the snatchblock, and perfectly safe too.
Someone got told