Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Norcal, Socal Mammoth/June Lake trip - July 14-17, 2006

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, the trip was a blast, who cares if we never made it to our destinations. I got stuck in a lil mud and we had to fix a flat on the trail. To me that made it worth doing.

Had to cut out a bit early so I hope the sunday run went well for everyone.

Also wanted to thank David and John, Lance and everyone else for helping me with my battery troubles at the gas station.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Had a great time.
We want to thank the guys again for setting this up.
It was real nice to finally getto meet some of the cool people on Yotatech.
Definatly need to do this again, next time though i will have a rig ready!
The food last night was outstanding, thank you to all the good cooks that brought those tasty treats.

Hope everyone had a safe trip back.

Until next time,

And thanks Chris for letting me pick you brain about your rig

Any local guys up for a fall run somewhere?
Gonna try to do a tent trip up around Shasta before it gets to cold with my son. Anyone know of any good spots?
Old 07-17-2006, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was great seeing some familiar faces again--Bob & Patty, Lance, Scott and John & family and great meeting those that I've seen online for years but never met in person.

Getting sick Friday night really sucked, but at least I had a lake view while...........well, you get the idea.

Not that anyone cares, but we got freakishly good gas mileage on this trip. 22.8 mpg on the way to Mammoth and 21 mpg combined between the second and third tanks.

Bob--thanks again for letting me drive your 4Runner. This helps make my lift decision a little easier.

And our next trip is?????

Ken
Old 07-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

We had a blast! It was great to meet everyone and I can see why people do return trips with this group. Everyone made us feel very welcome. Thanks guys for putting this trip together, now my wife knows what I do on the computer all the time. She was glad that you weren't a bunch of weirdos.

The runner did great pulling the trailer with the 33's. The only problem I had was going back up tioga pass. As soon as I started the grade I had no power in second gear. I did the whole grade going between 20 to 25 mph. No overheating, just real slow. I thought it was the combo of big tires, trailer, and steep grade but I had nothing like that on the way there. I pulled over a little ways past the summit to check everything out. Fluids and everything was good. I pulled out my air filter (k&n) which I just cleaned before I left and somehow I had sucked up a ton of bees into the filter. Hardly any dust but I was able to knock the filter and the bugs just kept falling out. After that everything was fine. Ran great the whole way back.

I hope I get to see everyone again soon!
Chris

Also, do you guys usually post pics in this thread or do you start one in the trail reports?

Last edited by slosurfer; 07-17-2006 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:32 PM

We also had a great time! It was nice meeting all of you!

I should have some pictures to post tomorrow.

A mod should probably split this thread so these comments go into the trail reports section.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:36 PM

dying for some pictures here
Old 07-17-2006, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

Here are a few pics:

Sunrise view from my site

Lineup on the way to Bodie Ghost Town

California Safari

High Speed Scenic Route

Trail to Laurel Lakes

Good Times

I have more photos to post later.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
more pics

hey guys,

i am a notoriously lazy photographer. i actually dont like taking pics while offroading, but here's a few:

Pavement shot of my truck and campspot

Shot of Lance's Kitty Mobile (hehe)

Steve's truck with his float tube on top

Here's the convoy going to Bodie Ghost Town. From front to back, that's Steve, his friends in a Taurus station wagon, Boogeyman (Russell Russell Russell), VegasKurt (Kurt), and Scottiac (Scott)

Here's Slo_surfer (Chris) and his son Jack with his brother David and Slo's amazing three-legged dog, Bruce

Here's the 2nd day's trail ride to Laurel Lake

continued...

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 07-18-2006 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:27 PM

Here's a few of the guys waiting to hit the trails. That's Steve in front, John, and then Boogeyman. Of note, John has a completely stock 4th gen and he went through this trail with flying colors

David and Slo_Surfer airing down with Lance in the back. David's D-cab Tundra is pretty darn nice. We gotta get him to build it up

The misses and Steve's wife Miki waiting for a bumpy ride The trail ends at the peak of that mountain with the snow

Audrey (g/f of Paddlenbike), Paddlenbike (Ken), Steve, Lance, Adam (John's son) and John chatting it up before we hit the trail

...and finally, this is a picture of the first trout that i've ever caught! After the Bodie mining trip, Steve and I split from the main group who followed Lance on the 2nd leg of their trip. Steve was gracious enough to let me use his gear and go float tubing for trout. That is Virginia Lake in the background. Talk about amazing. It was at the top of the mountain and the lake was small enough yet large enough to navigate with the float tube. Seeing that i was frustrated, Steve showed me how to fly fish and i landed this trout on my second cast. I was giddy like a mo'fo when the trout hit. i know now when people say that you are more connected to the fish when fly fishing than any other kind of fishing!

here's a closeup. not a world record, but it was a keeper in my eyes. besides, i couldn't come home empty handed! the trout did make the grill and i know a few people had a taste at the saturday potluck. i hope you guys enjoyed it

Can't wait for the trip next year!!!
Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 07-18-2006 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:34 AM
Contributing Member

Great pics Bob, that's the part of CA that I miss!
Old 07-18-2006, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

More pics

Here are some more pics:

Lunch at Bodie

Start of trail that Lance led us on (Thanks for taking us on the Cali Safari, Lance)

Lineup while airing down

A little mud (I followed John all day and I was definately impressed with his runner, we may have to look into getting a new one)

creek crossing

shot while Joel was changing a tire, amazingly right where we stopped to air down on the way in

Boogeyman and VegasKurt on the back way from Bodie Ghost Town
Old 07-18-2006, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
Here's the convoy going to Bodie Ghost Town. From front to back, that's Steve, his friends in a Taurus station wagon, Boogeyman (Brad), VegasKurt (Kurt), and Scottiac (Scott)
I'm not brad!! :pat: I'm Russell... Russell Russell Russell Russell Russell
Old 07-18-2006, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

Laurel Lakes pics

Steve led us up Laurel Lakes trail, we had a blast and my bro even took his stock tundra d-cab. Trail was still impassable at the very top due to snow. It was a short hike to the lakes from there. Me and my wife did not make it to the lakes due to our son Jack having a complete toddler meltdown. We still had fun and it was definately beautiful. Thanks for leading us up steve!

Bob and my bro David (David said he had a blast and he is already talking about a lift for his truck)

boogeyman, paddlenbike, bob, and david

tundra flex

almost to the top of the first climb

following the creek after first climb

Lunch at the top, parking was probably the hardest thing up there. Not much room, plus there were already 3 other toyotas up there that were not with our group.

Lance (Good Times)

Bob and Steve and snow blocking trail
Old 07-18-2006, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

Here is the link to the rest of the pics:

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ake06/?start=0

a pic of Bridalveil Falls on our way out through Yosemite

I had a blast and it was great meeting everyone. My son had a blast with Bob, he even knew which rig was his. Steve, thanks for helping me put the idler arm brace on. So, when do we start planning for next year?

Last edited by slosurfer; 07-18-2006 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

Talking

Stacey and I had a great time as well. It was nice (re)meeting everyone and we definitely plan on attending these trips more in the future. As for next year, I wanted to throw this idea out there.. Stacey and I found some *GORGEOUS* campsites down near mammoth when we explored monday morning before we left. There's this campsite called Twin Lakes that has fishing, boating, a general store there, and there's also cabins nearby for those that prefer not to tent/rv camp. Not to mention lots of little trails around the lakes to explore.

Chris, great pics! thanks for posting I'll try to upload some of my pics tonight when I get home from work. I have some nice panoramic shots of laurel lakes.

Bob, pm me your email addy and I'll email that photo of you and Patti at the lake.

Russell
Old 07-18-2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by boogyman
I'm not brad!! :pat: I'm Russell... Russell Russell Russell Russell Russell
:pat::pat::pat::pat::pat::pat::pat::pat: Sorry, Brad! I mean Russell! Hey, if that's not bad enough, i called Audrey Ken's wife! :pat::pat::pat::pat::pat::pat::pat::pat:
Old 07-18-2006, 09:15 AM

Stacey and I had a great time as well. It was nice (re)meeting everyone and we definitely plan on attending these trips more in the future. As for next year, I wanted to throw this idea out there.. Stacey and I found some *GORGEOUS* campsites down near mammoth when we explored monday morning before we left. There's this campsite called Twin Lakes that has fishing, boating, a general store there, and there's also cabins nearby for those that prefer not to tent/rv camp. Not to mention lots of little trails around the lakes to explore.

Chris, great pics! thanks for posting I'll try to upload some of my pics tonight when I get home from work. I have some nice panoramic shots of laurel lakes.

Bob, pm me your email addy and I'll email that photo of you and Patti at the lake.

Russell
Russell,

That campsite you mentioned sounds worth investigating! FYI: I chose June over Mammoth because i wanted a less crowded atmosphere than Mammoth, as I've heard that Mammy campsites can pack you in like sardines. But if you got a good feeling about the site you mentioned, let's take a look

My email addy is bobkim AT 4runners.org.

Good meeting you again and meeting Stacy for the first time. And also, I will commit myself to a few electroshock therapy sessions to get your name right, Russell!

Bob
Old 07-18-2006, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
Russell,

That campsite you mentioned sounds worth investigating! FYI: I chose June over Mammoth because i wanted a less crowded atmosphere than Mammoth, as I've heard that Mammy campsites can pack you in like sardines. But if you got a good feeling about the site you mentioned, let's take a look

My email addy is bobkim AT 4runners.org.

Good meeting you again and meeting Stacy for the first time. And also, I will commit myself to a few electroshock therapy sessions to get your name right, Russell!

Bob
Sounds good Bob, I'll try to post pics of the mammoth area tonight right after I send you that picture :-) We loved the June lake campsite. Thanks to you and Lance for organizing everything. I was impressed with how clean everything was, not to mention the view down by the lake.

Russell
Old 07-18-2006, 09:33 AM

Sounds good Bob, I'll try to post pics of the mammoth area tonight right after I send you that picture :-) We loved the June lake campsite. Thanks to you and Lance for organizing everything. I was impressed with how clean everything was, not to mention the view down by the lake.

Russell
Russell,

Ok, that would be great! Also to note: there were several volunteer organizers and information experts for this trip besides myself and Lance: Robinhood, Paddlenbike, as well as people who couldn't make it including Expat and Calrockx. Give them a hand too!:bigclap:

Also, did you happen to cruise around the Oh Ridge loops and write down the best spots in Squirrel, Duck and other loops?

Bob
Old 07-18-2006, 09:48 AM

holy crap! that looks like a ton of fun! i like all the runners!

Quick Reply: Norcal, Socal Mammoth/June Lake trip - July 14-17, 2006