YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Trip-Trail Reports & Photos (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f100/)
-   -   New England wheeling trip 2005-05-21 (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f100/new-england-wheeling-trip-2005-05-21-a-59639/)

amatoer10 05-22-2005 09:23 AM

New England wheeling trip 2005-05-21

heres the pics from the TTORA-NE run in Ashburnham with a few of the new 4ROC-NE guys showing up. We had 12 trucks, 2 of them being 4runners, but one of them left half way through the day. Other than that, i think a great time was had by all :bigok:

http://community.webshots.com/album/350424076hbLOQU

shotking4 05-22-2005 02:07 PM

Looks like you guys had a blast. i"m bummed i couldn't make it.

amatoer10 05-22-2005 05:01 PM

it was a blast... unfortunatly i poked a hole in my CV boot when a small group of us went the night before, so i only rode along for the big group ride on saturday

GodwinAustin 05-22-2005 06:53 PM

Great Pics!!!

those look some deep water crossings...did you guys all have extended breathers?

pat161 05-23-2005 05:24 AM

I was the one who left 1/2 way through, I had gotten my fix at that point. It was a geat run and I did things I haven't done in years, it was cool to see what the Runner was capable of. The pic of the Runner in the puddle approaching the big rock is me, I almost turned back then but am glad I continued on, that was nerve racking to me as I was an inch or two from whacking that rock. I put a post in the other board about the water, my breathers are stock so I changed out the rear diff, it was a bit milky. I figure the front is fine, though I will change it within a few weeks. Thanks for the run guys, it was a blast.

lee 05-23-2005 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by shotking4
Looks like you guys had a blast. i"m bummed i couldn't make it.

ditto!

my buddy came into town last minute, so I couldnt leave....

nice pics guys.

Cape yota 05-23-2005 09:40 AM

Good times

It was definately a blast. Lots of water and mud and rocks. Definitely worth the 2+ hours I spent driving out there. Here's a few more pics.

GodwinAustin 05-23-2005 05:40 PM

well, dammit somehow I missed this run...I am heading up to Northern Maine this weekend...north woods...and I will get my mud fix up there.

Really fantastic pics guys - keep me posted on future trips...I dig the camping w/ the wheeling....how about a remote maine run or something?

bflooks 05-23-2005 05:58 PM

hey guys. i am a member of the ne4roc club lee has been so kind to start. i was initially going out with pat161, but got "talked" out of it by the lady. i am pissed that i missed it now! i "told" her how much i would like to be able to next run you guys have out there. get a few more runners into the mix with you tac guys. great pics though!

amatoer10 05-23-2005 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by GodwinAustin
well, dammit somehow I missed this run...I am heading up to Northern Maine this weekend...north woods...and I will get my mud fix up there.

Really fantastic pics guys - keep me posted on future trips...I dig the camping w/ the wheeling....how about a remote maine run or something?

i would love a remote maine run.

camping was a lot of fun.... for the most part(hey kids, just say no to everclear :drink: ). There were 6 trucks camping the night before, one of them being an F150 which was only there for the camping and the other taco showing up after 4 of us did a little wheeling on friday night. maybe some camping would be in store for maine if theres any good spots

Amir904 05-23-2005 07:14 PM

i really wish i could have made it, im definitely gona try harder for the next meet, any ideas of when/where?

GodwinAustin 05-23-2005 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by amatoer10
i would love a remote maine run.

camping was a lot of fun.... for the most part(hey kids, just say no to everclear :drink: ). There were 6 trucks camping the night before, one of them being an F150 which was only there for the camping and the other taco showing up after 4 of us did a little wheeling on friday night. maybe some camping would be in store for maine if theres any good spots

well I will be I think east of Jackman, towards baxter, this wknd - mostly logging roads..but I will check things out..

next weekend I might run a more remote stream that looks to have some serious 4wd trails surrounding and leading to it, according to the maine gazateer...if I find anything I will let you guys know. :drink:

Intrepid 05-24-2005 04:47 AM

BRING 'EM OUT! I want more trails!!!! If there is a run in Maine, I am going to be all over it!
Yeah, this weekend was great, we all had a blast. 13 trucks showed up, we lost 1 to a torn cv boot, 1 to a lack of interest in rough trails, and two had to leave a little early but everyone seemed to have a great time. The Friday "elistist" run and camping was great too, 4 trucks made the run and 5 real trucks and 1 ford camped. The only damage was Erics torn cv boot, see, I told you stockers could do it.

My couple of pics:
http://community.webshots.com/user/intrepidyota

Igors pics:
http://community.webshots.com/album/350942385YXECDg

Keiths pics:
http://community.webshots.com/user/keiden6196

For anyone interested I think that next saturday (the 28th) assuming I can get at least 1 or 2 other trucks I am going to head back up a couple of the trails we hit and start testing some offshoots, although some will no doubt be singletracks, I am sure some will be good, like the one Keith and I hit. If more than 1 or 2 trucks want to go we can always split up into a couple groups assuming someone from the area wants to lead the other one. See what we get, if you've got them, bring a tow strap and come-a-long, I am not that bright and there isn't much I won't try.

Pat now that you had time to think it over, will you ever be back? I think wheeling is like getting a tattoo or peircing, if it hurts the first time you do it then you never want to do it again, for about two days, then you start thinking about the next one.

I know a couple of us had extended breathers, but probably not everyone. There is no real reason not to do it. When I did mine, I bought the new nipple and breather from the dealer for around $5 and some good fuel line for $15-ish. I think that the first 3 things you should get for your truck if you wheel it are:
1. Tow strap (w/o metal hooks)
2. Extended breathers
3. CB Radio

You can get all of them pretty cheap and install them very easily. And you will use every one almost every time you go out. I will gladly help anyone get a breather or cb installed. (breather is easy and the cb you don't have to make permanent, you can use a magnet mount and lighter adapter if you want). I had hesitated originally on buying a cb because I thought I could use the money elsewhere, but I bought a cheap midland cb from wal mart and a 3' firestick. BEST INVESTMENT EVER! Makes trail communication so much easier, ex: if you hit a big rock in a mud hole, rather than jump out and try to flag down the next guy to tell him, you just grab the cb...

If you guys are interested, I can always get a head count and buy all the parts for the breather and a whole roll of fuel line (doesn't freeze or kink easily), you all can buy cbs and antenna's and we can get everyone down here and put them all on. Hell, we can make it a 4ROCne wrench a thon. You can pay me for the breather parts when you get here.

pat161 05-24-2005 05:09 AM

Well I would never say never, so yeah I would come back out some time. I must say that it would be nice to have a little lift, better off road tires and extended breathers for the next run, so we'll see what happens. BTW, thanks everyone for not ribbing me for leaving early, I figured I'd never live that down, plus a few other things we won't mention here, like a hill I wouldn't drive up for example.

Intrepid 05-24-2005 05:13 AM

:lol: yes, that hill, oh so fun...

You posted on what "other board" about the water? :think:

bflooks 05-24-2005 05:23 AM

hey pat! i am thinking about doing the extended breathers before going out. perhaps you and i could meet up with intrepid, and then you and i can ride together in my truck this weekend? what do you think about that? and intrepid, would you mind helping me out with the breathers? or atleast giving some advice? and are these trails being hit up on sat (the 28th) doable for a stock rig? more or less identical to pat's, but just a with a hell of a better shine! :laugh:

amatoer10 05-24-2005 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by bflooks
hey pat! i am thinking about doing the extended breathers before going out. perhaps you and i could meet up with intrepid, and then you and i can ride together in my truck this weekend? what do you think about that? and intrepid, would you mind helping me out with the breathers? or atleast giving some advice? and are these trails being hit up on sat (the 28th) doable for a stock rig? more or less identical to pat's, but just a with a hell of a better shine! :laugh:

the breather extension will take 10 minutes to do on each truck and the trails are all stock passable... you might hit the skidplate a few times but thats what theyre made for. as for the offshoots that we will be going to explore, theres really no telling how they will be, but im sure that they wont be too much harder than the main trails

Intrepid 05-24-2005 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by amatoer10
the breather extension will take 10 minutes to do on each truck and the trails are all stock passable... you might hit the skidplate a few times but thats what theyre made for. as for the offshoots that we will be going to explore, theres really no telling how they will be, but im sure that they wont be too much harder than the main trails

I agree, the breather takes all of ten minutes. You can either order the parts yourself and I will gladly help you (which is easier for me) or if I get a quick head count it only takes the dealer a day or two to get them.
These are what I used and they worked great:

http://fastq.com/~sschaefer/breather.html

As far as the trails, yeah, definitely stock passable, if you pay attention and are careful you probably won't even hit the skid plate at all. I assume the side trails will be about the same as the main, even possibly less rough because less people have driven on them. We will see what we can do to dull that shine a bit! :laugh:

...as for the offshoots that we will be going to explore..
Eric, does this mean you are in?

bflooks 05-24-2005 06:00 AM

how much am i looking at for the parts? about $15? is that the estimate?

Intrepid 05-24-2005 06:11 AM

I would estimate at least $20. For some reason I can't get onto the main ttora forum right now, I think I had posted the price there once a while back. Just to be safe figure around $10 for the breather, nipple, and 2 hose clamps and around $12 for the fuel line. I don't really remember prices, it has been a while since I did mine.