YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Trip-Trail Reports & Photos (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f100/)
-   -   I am HOOKED!!! (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f100/i-am-hooked-38864/)

deaninhouston 08-16-2004 08:24 AM

I am HOOKED!!!

Up until this past weekend my idea of offroading was driving down dusty trails with the occasional shallow water crossing... That has all changed for me. I was out at Spring Creek tooling around when this guy in a 1st gen 4runner tells me the trail I am heading down dead ends just ahead but if I follow him he can show me some other trails. Oh Boy!! That is when it got interesting!! He led me from there through what just a few weeks prior had been an off road competition circuit. I put my truck through places I would have never thought possible or thought twice about driving away from. With his guidance and that of his spotter they coached me through sections that had me praying to get by unharmed. The we moved on to the hard stuff!! At a couple points throughout the day he came across the radio and told me to park so he could play around. To say this guy was insane would be an understatement!! He put his little 4Runner in places NO ONE had gone before. As soon as I get all the videos and pictures done I will get some on here! I just want to say I am in for life!! By the way. My truck is a stock as a rock Tacoma Ext. Cab TRD with nothing more than a set of MT/R's :banger:

nastynate 08-16-2004 09:51 AM

sweeeet.....

i've never actually been to spring creek for offroading, but i've heard it's a blast.

i'm wanting to go out some time soon. how did you get to the "good stuff"? :)

jacksonpt 08-16-2004 09:59 AM

Good story, and welcome to the clan.

outdoorfever 08-16-2004 03:33 PM

welcome. its addicting.

wifesaysimadumbass 08-18-2004 07:29 PM

kiss your spare time and extra money goodby!!!!

TomRallyX 08-23-2004 01:33 PM

Welcome to an expensive hobby! LOL! If you're interrested in more trails then you're more then welcome to join TTORA runs later this year. We're going to Gilmer in late October. There's not many or any good places to wheel in/around Houston which sucks.

We recently had an annual event at Katemcy Rocks near Mason, TX. Pics are here: http://www.txttora.com/gallery/categories.php?cat_id=47

X-AWDriver 08-24-2004 12:08 AM

Welcome;this hobby is cheaper than my Eclipse was.....................so far. ;)

rngrchad 09-08-2004 12:07 PM

I have been searching and searching for some motivating, inspirational offroad trails with some technical difficulty here in the Buckeye state, however everything I find that is worth checking out I have to watch my back on because they are illegal trails. Bummer....you guys have no clue how lucky you all are! My offroading trips are fun but the constant worry of being ticketed by park rangers/sherrifs is almost too much to bear. I have found some badass pipelines however that go on and on and on! If anyone in the central/southeastern buckeye state would like to mentor a rather newbie who is incredibly interested in the offroad scene, let me know!
Rngrchad.....
1997 2.7 Taco w/ 31x10.5 Dueler AT revos.

Scofco 09-08-2004 02:31 PM

If you're hooked, get ready to start breaking stuff :D

Designsbyme 09-16-2004 03:50 PM

I'm up to about $5,000 in repairs alone. Things to watch out for. And the first mods you need to do.

Watch out for:
Water Crossings. Water will get into your diffs and slowly destroy them
Mud. It's fun as can be but for every hour you spend in it spend double the time cleaning it.
Hidden stumps. I rolled over a stump and popped a tire.
Speed kills. If you have to gun it to get up a hill, turn around before you roll.
While most people are cool and will show you some great trails, there are those who will steer you in the wrong direction for their pleasure. Use your judgment.

First Mods:
Diff breathers.
Snorkal
Linex the underneath of your truck.
Then go to town. :bigok: :bigok:

96LtdYota 09-16-2004 05:59 PM

I want to go there... hmm i live in sugarland-southwest houston area. how far is it?

gumbo 09-19-2004 02:24 PM

Hey guys we just got back from Barnwell mountain in Gilmer .let's try to get a trip planned for october.