Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Colorado 4Runner Jamboree July 31st, Aug 1st & 2nd 2009!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colorado 4Runner Jamboree July 31st, Aug 1st & 2nd 2009!!

Thanks for another great CO4RJ!! We had a great showing of rigs from all over CO, 1 from CA, and one from OR. I didn't get an offical rig count but I'm guessing we had 30+ Toyota's show up

Once again, big thanks goes out to Goodyear for the MTR tire raffle item and Scotty at Addicted Off Road for his donation of a set of sliders.

Please post all of your pictures and videos on this thread
Old 08-03-2009, 06:26 AM

Aaron,
Again it was a great time.
Thanks for setting(or helping, if you don't want to take ALL the credit) this great get together.
I will post some pictures and links to the rest in a few minutes.

BTW, just in case Nathan(Ardent) has started a thread yet....
LOST
There is a lost wedding wedding ring on OCG yesterday, most likely near one of the first obstacles.
We searched from the trailhead to the exit of Carnage.
If any one found it, please contact Ardent.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:18 AM

Thanks Danny.

Yeah, we're pretty disappointed. This was probably the best and worst weekend we've had in a long time. Great wheelin' and campin' and chillin' and then she loses her ring on Chinaman's. I'll post up pics tonight or tomorrow.

X2 thanks Aaron!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ardent
Thanks Danny.

Yeah, we're pretty disappointed. This was probably the best and worst weekend we've had in a long time. Great wheelin' and campin' and chillin' and then she loses her ring on Chinaman's. I'll post up pics tonight or tomorrow.

X2 thanks Aaron!
Sounds like a job for a metal detector.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Sounds like a job for a metal detector.
Yeah, thought about that too...
Old 08-03-2009, 08:15 AM

all this time and no pictures yet? You people fail.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:50 AM

I had a great time, but I was bad and didn't bust out my camera once..
Old 08-03-2009, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Hayes
I'm doing editing.
And making videos that photobucket won't let me upload(Copyrighted background music). Ahhhhh!
Grizzly Lake

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/j...t=MOV06496.flv
http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/j...t=MOV06505.flv

OCG

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezr-czyhDjs[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by 4runner Freak; 08-03-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:06 AM

Sorry to hear about the ring Ardent. It might be worth a shot to post it on CO4x4?? There seems to be quite a few people on that site that run that trail.

I'll get my pictures and video posted sometime this week
Old 08-03-2009, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Volcom
Sorry to hear about the ring Ardent. It might be worth a shot to post it on CO4x4?? There seems to be quite a few people on that site that run that trail.
Already done. I'm really worried that it's lost. She's gonna have to deal with a wal-mart ring for a while if we don't get this one back. We're also going to file a report with Chafee County Sheriff if possible.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:45 AM

If you want a higher quality picture of any of these, let me know and I can email them.

Here is a link to my Grizzly Lake Pictures.
http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/j...ake/?start=all
Here is a link to my Old Chinaman Gulch Pictures.
http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/j...naman%20Gulch/
Old 08-03-2009, 11:08 AM

7 of us made the trek to Holy Cross on Friday, July 31st. We met up @ 9 and got to the trailhead @ 9:30. Nobody in front of us and didn't run into traffic on the way down. It was very nice to have the trail to ourselves

Trail was in good shape. You could tell it has been getting a ton of moisture this year. Quite a bit of mud puddles on the trail and between the bigger rocks. We made decent time to French Creek and only had to pull the winch cable for Mayhem (Tacoma on 33's). I was spotting, I'd blame it on me Eric Everyone else made it look easy. It started to rain on us at the creek.

The mud pits above French Creek were full as well. We got to the City and ate lunch. It continued to rain during lunch. It finally started to pass and we continued up to Cleveland Rock. Tippy Rock (nasty side hill slick rock before Cleveland) was muddy and tough to get over. Only Cory and Jared wanted to try Cleveland in the wet conditions. Cory worked the left line for a couple of minutes trying to get the front tires to grab. There was quite a bit of mud and water at the bottom of the rock. Cory finally climbed the left line, giving Jared some hope of making it

Jared pulled up in his extra long wheelbase truck on 37's and walked it no problem. Cleveland Rock Killers

Headed back down and Tippy Rock was nasty for Jared. Luckily for him, Cory was able to grab his passenger side sliders before he flopped and rolled off of the side of the mountain :shock:

The group headed back down to French Creek and my bad spotting caused Eric in the Black Taco to pull cable again. Sorry Mayhem

Everyone made it down safely and with no damage. We were back to camp @ 7pm to enjoy the rest of our evening around the campfire and to meet everyone that showed up late Friday.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:44 PM

I do this for a living and uploading/converting/filing takes forever.... I have some of the videos up on vimeo...
ChromeKiller on Vimeo

I don't blame anyone, I was on 33's and should have probably stopped at French Creek but whatever. Nothing like being dragged over a bunch of rocks. I posted videos of Cleveland rock and a few others. There will be more to come tonight then onto images.

Oh hey, if any of the SAS guys have a set of spindles lying around the garage for an 01-04 taco (I think 4 runner might work). I lost 4 bolts on French Creek to my lower ball-joints then had to strip some new ones in after the trail... So I got some replacing to do, par for the course.

Grizzly lake obstacle was even more dug out than usual and the water in the creek and past few days of rain didn't help anything. We went up with 4runnerfreak, Ardent and MojoRaisin... 2 people had to be winched up the obstacle and 2 right footed it.

Last edited by Mayhem; 08-03-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:00 PM

Saturday was Carnage Canyon

We had 7 rigs start, 2 turn around for repairs, 3 more join us, and the 2 rejoined us 2.5 hours later for a total of 10 rigs

Eric (E_ROCK), Cory, Jared (jarboarder1), myself, Bear, Russel (ToyTank), & Phil (boggerunner) started the day. Everyone drove the gatekeeper obstacle without difficulty. Phil was having some EFI overfueling issues, making it hard to keep his truck running at idle. A couple of minutes later, ToyTank's front ARB in his buggy stopped working. They decided to turn around and fix the ARB on the trailer at the trailhead along with figure out Phil's overfueing issue.

Jason, the Rock Ware crew in their 4 seater buggy, and Richard in a Toyota buggy soon caught us at the big Dome Rock right before V-notch.

Cory and Jared tried the line directly over the rock. It's a super tough line and I've only seen buggies do it cleanly. Jared slipped off to his passenger side and his slider saved him from going over on its side. Jason in his Truggy made the climb as well as the Rock Ware buggy and Richard's Toyota buggy.

Onto the V-notch

Eric was first up the trail. The trail has gotten dug out big time, right before the notch. It takes some skillful driving just getting past that section. Eric's wheelbase doesn't play nice in that section and he's forced to take a cable. EROCK's wheelbase also doesn't play nice in the V-notch and he flops the Jeep on the passenger side again. Nothing major is damaged and we winch him back to all 4's and out of the notch.

Cory is next and walks it cleanly. Jared is the next victim of the notch . His long wheelbase makes it very tricky to get him up the notch. He has NO issue getting his front tires up the notch, but his back tires keep climbing up the left side of the notch too high, pitching him on his passenger side. He takes some body damage and after some retries, he makes it.

I'm next and I end up climbing the V-notch with no issues on my first try That's a first for me. Bear's next and he separates his front D-shaft on the rocks before the notch. He makes the repair and hooks his winch under the front axle and up to the front to try and limit the shaft from pulling out. Bear gets into the notch and ends up hard on his driver's side sheetmetal (I did the same exact thing 2 years ago, I can relate). After backing up and trying it a couple of times, the front shaft pulls apart again. We use some ratchet straps this time and winch him out of the notch.

Jason, the RockWare buggy, and Toyota buggy all walk the notch. Jared takes some heavy passenger side damage on the big rock right after the notch. The next part of the trail is when it splits into a right & left line. I took the left line for the first time. It's gotten VERY tough to climb that section of trail as well. My driver's side 39.5" Iroks were tiny in comparison to the 4.5 - 5 foot ledge they were trying to climb. I was very impressed with my 4Runner after getting through that section cleanly.

Next up is squeeze rock and huge ledge. Eric & Cory smartly take the cable over the ledge. Jared takes the right line on my recommendation and takes some more heavy damage. Sorry Jared He does make the line though.

I take the same line as last year and pull a 5 foot rear wheelstand over the left rock. I barely tag the right rock with the passenger fender and hood. I was hoping to continue to drive straight and pull a kickass 5 foot front wheelstand but the rear tires slipped and I wedged them between the rocks. I was still able to pull through.

Bear was next and I didn't realize that nobody helped spot him through. He took the squeeze line and buried the front right wheel & tire HARD into the right rock. He blows a front R&P and has to winch himself out. In the mean time, Russel's (toytank) front ARB stops working again and he's without a front locker.

Eric & Cory both try the exit and almost get out. Both take cables and are free of this evil trail with just body damage Jared is next and it takes us over an hour to get him out. He ends up flopping his truck on the passenger side on the right line and dumps everything out of his bed. Sorry Jared He almost flips over backwards while I'm winching him out using Cory's truck. Scared the out of me, that's for sure.

We let Jason, Rock Ware buggy, Toyota buggy, and 2 buggies from MO (one of them owns Hannibal Rocks off road park in MO to exit Carnage and get on their way. I try to get out unassisted but am unable to get the traction I needed and take a cable from EROCK.

Bear is next and it takes 2 winches to free him from Carnage. Carnage has done it's damage on Bear however with that broken front R&P. Toytank gives it hell in 3 wheel drive and takes a cable. Phil puts on a show and almost makes the right line out. He pushes in his driver side A pillar and door hinges so bad that it creases his dash

10 hours later, we all make it out and call it a day. The Coyote Cantena Crew is born and somehow I got a tramp stamp (temp) tattoo out of the deal
Old 08-03-2009, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mayhem
I do this for a living and uploading/converting/filing takes forever.... I have some of the videos up on vimeo...
ChromeKiller on Vimeo

I don't blame anyone, I was on 33's and should have probably stopped at French Creek but whatever. Nothing like being dragged over a bunch of rocks. I posted videos of Cleveland rock and a few others. There will be more to come tonight then onto images.

Oh hey, if any of the SAS guys have a set of spindles lying around the garage for an 01-04 taco (I think 4 runner might work). I lost 4 bolts on French Creek to my lower ball-joints then had to strip some new ones in after the trail... So I got some replacing to do, par for the course.

Grizzly lake obstacle was even more dug out than usual and the water in the creek and past few days of rain didn't help anything. We went up with 4runnerfreak, Ardent and MojoRaisin... 2 people had to be winched up the obstacle and 2 right footed it.
Thanks for posting video. I'll check it out when I get home. I think you did very well on Holy Cross on 33's! You got further than most with similar setups. I'll keep my eyes out for a set of spindles. Great wheeling with you, your GF, and Peeve (the tree attack dog )
Old 08-03-2009, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Hayes
You should have been there for the real thing
Old 08-03-2009, 02:13 PM

I wish I could have gotten away from work but I had other things to take care of.. Trust me, I hate myself for missing it.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:59 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How was the area just past the creek compared to last year?
Old 08-03-2009, 03:01 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We are running Holy Cross this weekend ... how was the section just past French Creek compared to last year?
Old 08-03-2009, 04:39 PM

Like right after the creek, that's where I was hung up for a while. Everything else is cake.

Volcom this is just for you:

Treesnatcher

Last edited by Mayhem; 08-03-2009 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Colorado 4Runner Jamboree July 31st, Aug 1st & 2nd 2009!!