Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Boondockers 4X4 Club Mud Bog 5-14-2011

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 11:41 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Boondockers 4X4 Club Mud Bog 5-14-2011

I don't know where to start with this one. Again the event itself was run pretty well as far as timing, speed of runs etc etc. But the pits like the second run at the last August event, was bad if not much worse. My feeling is they dug too deep and made the bottom of the pits too soft resulting in probably 2-3ft if not more of thick heavy mud.

Not a single person v8 modifieds included mad it though the pit. Overall leader was 77 ft (out of 100 ft) and was gotten towards the end of the day by a 4cyl modified Yota. Which is the red 1st gen I will mention later. I apologize I didn't get any video of the runs. 92_Toy didn't make it due to rain concerns. It didn't rain during the event. Maybe a little spitting near 1pm but not enough to get any of the trucks really wet. I did however rain a little in the morning the time I traveled down there at 7am. But not for more than maybe a half hour or so. I doubt the rain had any affect on the conditions of both pits.

As it turned out I placed I believe last in the 4cyl stock class, but did not get the shortest run of the day. Funny thing was me having the 50ft distance would have actually one the v6 stock class which only had a 45 ft run. TOYOTA 4cyl FTW.

Anyway onto the stuff ya really want.

My start of the day. And some good photos of the current condition of the truck. Which is why I took so many.

My preps for the mud bog include, bungee cord on the t-case shifter in case I had to shift from 4 lo 1st gear to 2nd. As the Trans shifter has been known to knock me out of 4wd into Neutral. And also tape on the hubs which serves two purposes. 1 to prevent mud from unlocking your hubs and to prevent tampering from idiots who like to unlock your hubs. All of us in the 4cyl classes with the Yotas did this with the hubs.

4cyl stock lined up and ready to go. All of which are on 35's except for myself on 33's. There was no more room for 1 more in the line we were in due to caution tape so I guess we unofficially shunned the other non-yota out of the line. A Samurai. Which later won the 4cyl stock event. You second place holder is the red/blue 85 you see sitting next to me in that line. Which happend to have less then 20% tire tread and not on bogger tires. But it came at a cost that I will mention later on.

This is the 4cyl modified class with the exception of the sami on the right which was in my 4cyl stock class. Not seen is a blue Sami on the left which was also a part of the 4cyl modified class. And for anyone wondering stock vs modified in this event is manly the lack of vehicle inspection and/or registration. By no means does it mean you can't modify a stock truck in the stock class.

The red 1st gen was your winner of the 4cyl modified class along with the overall longest distance of the day. The below photo is of the beast's engine. The engine was originally in a circle track car and if I remember correctly is a $6700+ 22R/RE Stage 5 Pro Circle Track Long Block running at 200+ hp. This little thing often sees 8000 rpm during runs.

There was 1 4runner in the v6 (3.0) stock maybe modified class I didn't get a photo of.

These are the only two Yotas in the v8 classes. Not sure if they were v8 modified or stock, but I wanna say v8 stock. Pretty sure they are both SBC trucks.

Not competing was this one. I had to snap a few photos of it when I walked by the parking lot.

After my first run. Launched in 1st and 4lo and shifted into 2nd, maintained 3500-4000 ROM nicely when trying to shift to 3rd it wasn't having it and switched back to 2nd. Got 24 and some odd feet on my first run.

This one killed his alternator on the first run and was knocking pretty good when warm. Most likely 1 of the 2 spun rod bearing casualties of the day.

Him again after his second run. Us listening to the knocking engine which ended up leaking from the rear main as well. This is also a 20R truck BTW. Yes a 20R in an originally 22r truck.

Your second place truck after his first run. This is the one in the below video.

After my second run. This time launched at probably 4,000 rpm in 4 lo 1st from 10 ft back because I could not get to the starting line without getting stuck in what was now probably a foot and a half of thick heavy mud 15ft back from the starting line. Made it to 50 some odd feet running at 4500-5000 most of the time. Never left 1st gear. I was on and off the throttle to find traction but never dropped below 3000 rpm. Had plenty of power to spin the tires right back up to 5000 rpm again and again. A little more movement from the steering I might have been able to get further. I don't think I was turning far enough to either side. But I did end up buring the front end so much I had to ask the pit guy if my wheels were straight because I could no longer turn the steering wheel without the power steering pump complaining.

The red and blue truck next to me which happened to take second as I mentioned earlier ended up toasting a rod bearing on his first run. And still got far enough on his second run to place 2nd in the 4cyl stock class all while having the least amount of tread left on his tires.

This is what his engine sounded like at the end of the day. As you will notice someone saying it will make it home in the video. Yes he did have to drive this thing home afterwards. I don't know if he made it or not though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nb7GK2LAUo

No carnage on my part that I have noticed as of yet. But $10 later in a car wash port, my truck still has alot of mud on it and was only able to get the bulk off of the rear section. Will have to wait for some more funds to give this a good washdown. Probably another $20 in the carwash. lol.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 05-15-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:59 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
yeh.....yuck

nice pics. lots more Toyotas than I remember last year
Old 05-15-2011, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like tons of fun! I like seein that many toys at the mud meets
Old 05-15-2011, 11:12 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
i like mud, but that is some sticky crap! no thank you!
well, maybe if it werent my truck... or i had someone to wash it for me...
Old 05-16-2011, 05:22 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
not for me, yet fun to watch. looks like you need to just do a few river-crossings - or an ocean crossing - to get that mud off
Old 05-16-2011, 07:25 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice !! any pics of the mud pit itself or some one in the pit?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:01 AM

na, that's all I got. Too busy in the pits helping others and when I did get a chance, the spectator area was too crowded and our view from the staging area was too far for my cam to pick up.

If I find more photos from others, I will try to post em up.

P.S. I did get one video from in truck on my last run, that happened to catch that other flat bed truck that took 2nd in the other lane, but cut it off because I didn't realize they were gonna let me run not making it up to the starting line, and that video lets just say I was not happy about not making it to starting line and can't really post it.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 05-16-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:42 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Awesome pics!!!
Old 05-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Looks muddy....
Old 05-16-2011, 05:53 PM

Looks like you had fun,fun,fun!
cookie dough, anyone?
Old 05-16-2011, 05:57 PM

hehe half that mud will still be on there in 4 months when I go back in August. lol. There was still mud on it from last August. haha.

Like I said in my build thread, I am not nice to my truck yet the thing keeps asking for more punishment, but this time I gave the engine hell and it has seemed to respond to the challenge of running at 4500-5000 rpm for almost a minute if I had to guess before I was flagged to stop. Good thing for a temp gauge though, that one guy I had mentioned about his alternator and subsequent rod bearing ended up boiling his coolant because the rad was pretty much covered. And because it's a 20r in a 22r truck he has no temp gauge.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:20 PM

looks like a lot of fun! i wish we had this kind of thing up here. oh and btw, that fj is sweet! but i have no idea what he was thinking putting j**p taillights on there
Old 05-17-2011, 05:24 PM

Oh I forgot to mention about that FJ, as sweet looking and clean looking as that thing is, I guess the rear bumper was pretty well rotted out to the point on his first run they ripped it right off the truck pulling him out of the pit. HI-LIFT and all.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:34 PM

ouch haha. did it damage the frame at all when it got ripped off?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:02 PM

I don't think it did he still made his 3rd and 4th runs. Just ran his chain in a different spot.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:20 PM

That mud looks like my 8month old sons diapers LOL
Old 05-18-2011, 04:52 AM

ok dug up some vids.

The first one is a tribute exhibition run. He did compete (V8 Modified) but the pit he goes through is the same pit I got my longest run out of of 50ft. this was at the end of the day and shortly after the 4cyl runs.

@ 51 seconds you can see a stick near the pits, that's the actual starting line. Which is where the guy Notice how deep and how far back the mud that got pulled out of the pits is. Also notice the Jeep started at about where I did on my second run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8dTz-KmYsg

The beast of a yota's 77 ft winning run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vab9-Jo86sw

This one he missed my run, but these are the second run of the day. You can hear my name and the distance of 50.4ft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVMrWydbJzs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t94jPKTzpRU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH1iNAyj9NU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxp-1weJ4_w

I'll add more as I find em.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 05-18-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:33 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
sweet. looks like you all had a fun time
Old 05-18-2011, 12:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Man that looks like fun! I'd love to try something like that but would probably embarrass myself too badly to ever show my face again!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:51 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Looks like fun!

Quick Reply: Boondockers 4X4 Club Mud Bog 5-14-2011