Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Troubles installing Linux

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Troubles installing Linux

Hey guys, so I finally bit the bullet and bought a netbook Friday night. My old desktop was just too poor to continue using (example: my smart phone has more ram than my desktop).

So I picked up an ASUS EeePC 1005PEB, 1GB memory, 250GB HD, up to 11 hours of battery life, Intel Atom N450, and Windows 7 Starter (absolutely dislike that lack of tools on this OS).

So I've always been interested in Linux, but my desktop was too slow to even run their lightest version. So I start my search again and come up with the eeebuntu 3.0, specifically built around the EeePC. I downloaded from the recommended mirror site, used Unetbootin to copy the ISO to my flash drive, and I go to reboot my netbook and load eeebuntu, but my computer doesn't recognize it at all.

If I'm loaded up in the desktop and I open the USB stick then I can see everything, my computer recognizes it all, just not when I go to boot it up.

Does anyone have any experience with Linux or have any suggestions? Thanks in advance
Old 03-11-2010, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you have to tell the eeepc to boot from the flash drive.

You have to tell (most likely in the bios) the eeepc that usb is your primary boot drive. I have a toshiba netbook, I don't know the exact procedure for the eeepc.

Google "eeepc boot settings" or something like that, and you'll find more info.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah man, just go into your system setup on startup, and point to your flash drive as the boot device, put it number one in the sequence and it should come right up.

Good luck, if you're not familiar with Linux, you might want to look into Knoppix and run it off your CD on your current operating system for a while, Linux is a completely different ballgame than what your used to, and it's a VERY real possibility that you will not like it.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:22 AM

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice and I'll give it a try.

I know linux is a completely different ballgame, but I enjoy challenging things and trying new stuff. Plus I'm only going to run the live version of eeebuntu for a few days and see how I like it. It won't save any of my settings but it should give me a good idea if I'll like it or not. I'm excited to try a new OS
Old 03-11-2010, 09:53 AM

I run ubuntu on my laptop i enjoy it alot better than anything else...I have it connected to my TV to use it to watch crap off of...(Way cheaper than any cable/satellite setup)
Old 03-12-2010, 08:22 PM

Having the same problem, I came across a tip for getting to the USB Flash/UNR boot menu on eeePC.

I wasn't having any luck booting to USB even though I set the only boot option in BIOS to Removable device.

Go into BIOS, then exit and (after confirming you want to exit) immediately hit the Esc key - this took me to the boot menu where I was able to select the flash drive and boot UNR.

It's all happening now.
Mp
Old 03-13-2010, 12:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I highly recommend Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 for any sort of netbook. The hardware support is just awesome.

Usually hitting F12 will bring up the boot menu, allowing you to select the USB drive as a boot source. Good luck with it though, I've been windows free for years, and won't ever turn back.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

^^^ That's what I am running now. On y Toshiba NB200 the sound was a pain. I have to run a newer kernel, which gave some video issues again. That's fixed now also, it working really well. I haven't sorted out my blue tooth yet, that's the only thing left.

I think the eeepc is probably the best supported system. Asus was the first one with the budget pc/netbooks.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:01 AM

I was thinking about the NBR but then I read that eeebuntu was specifically designed for the eeepc. I finally got it to boot...once haha. I couldn't get wifi to work though and I read about someone having the same problem and all they did was restart their system so I went to try that and it hasn't worked since

Oh well. Try try again right? I may try Ubuntu NBR, and another one called Cruncheee I believe. I also believe Linux Mint will run on netbooks. Oh wells, we'll see