Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Question about web cam monitoring remotelt

Old 07-22-2005, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question about web cam monitoring remotelt

How would I go about accessing my home web cam say like from work or another computer outside of the house, as kind of a security system? Is there software that needs to be bought, or is there something built into windows that will allow this? I have Windows XP Media Center 2005 (basically pro with extra goodies), and always on cable internet.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I set-up surveillance systems at work and I have some experience. By no means am I an expert, but I can try to help you out. To access live and captured footage remotely, you are going to need a unique IP address. At least that is how it works on our network here at work. I can then install the viewer software on any computer and tap in to the footage.

I have a contact that is a pro in the business. If you need more information let me know. We run 4 to 8 cameras on the motion-detect setting in the software. With a 36GB HD and a secondary 250GB HD, we get about 15 days worth of footage. If you don't care much about pulling footage, you could get about 3 days worth off 30+GB's worth of memory. You are really going to need a dedicated PC if you can swing it and want to get serious about this.

Let me know if you need more info.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok so I wouldn't be able to set the CPU up to be accessed remotely via internet and password, and then view the camera as a drive of the computer I am accessing. Does that make sense?

The reason I am asking is. my wifes purse was stolen off of the back of a chair in a resturant with everything in it. I have since changed the locks in the house (her keys were in it), but her DL was in it and they have my address now. Any dummy can go to the library and look up my house on mapquest. So I was thinking of setting up my web cam to be remotely viewable as well as capture. I have 2-200Gig HD's so space for footage is not a problem.
Thanks for the help.