Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

New laptop ? for the geeks out there

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by aa1911
my old HP pavillion finally crapped out... motherboard is fried from a faulty power chord, awesome, there's $1500 down the crapper..... my computer tech guy recommends a "think pad" laptop, virtually trouble free accross the board as far as hardware is concerned. I just hate vista and don't want 7 yet.... xp is the best OS around in my opinion....

I use a Dell 630 for work (thanks uncle sam for the crappy computer circa 1990) and it's a nightmare to get parts for compared to our other stuff, heard lots of folks really like 'em though. hmmm....

gotta get something soon to tune my rig, I have all the stuff, just not a good laptop all of a sudden, blah... (except this one, but it's vista and won't support some of my tuning software, rrrr)
I have a spare Toshiba waiting for me, if my HP ever takes a dump... Just needs an LCD

probably going to fix it and give it to my nephew for Christmas or something
Old 09-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems like a great machine to me and would suit the needs of 80% of the PC users out there.
My personal laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1545 with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 4GB of RAM with Windows 7 Professional and it screams - the i7 processor alone will make that thing out perform mine.

Only negative I see is that Windows 7 Home Premium is limited to 16GB so if you ever really wanted to pump that thing up that's as high as you could go.
Again, for most people 8GB will be more than you will ever use but for me that is the only negative.

I guarantee that machine has USB 2.0 ports on it.
If it doesn't somebody got drunk at the factory or just wanted to play a prank - I also highly doubt that it's a driver issue.

While the stuff that BT17 bought up are good ideas, for the majority of PC users that stuff will be above their heads.

Biggest thing for most non-techy PC users to do is clear your cache (Cookies, Temporary Internet Files, etc...) regularly, run Disk Defragmenter every now and then and be sure to reboot at least once a day.
If you do that you should be just fine.

Obviously, don't download things you don't need - things like screensavers, themes, icon packages and the like will just jack your machine up if not downloaded from a reputable source.

IT is my job, I deal with around 30-40 of our 350+ employees everyday and it's usually the same crap that messes them up.

olharley,

I would be more than happy to set up a GoToMeeting (web-based meeting program) and remote connect to your computer and take a look around for anything sketchy.
If you want to do that sometime just hit me up via PM and we'll schedule it.

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 09-22-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Fink
olharley,

I would be more than happy to set up a GoToMeeting (web-based meeting program) and remote connect to your computer and take a look around for anything sketchy.
If you want to do that sometime just hit me up via PM and we'll schedule it.

Fink
I used Remote Assistance in Windows 7 for the first time last night

My mom didn't know how to set her email address up in Outlook so I walked her through the process over the phone; open RA, create the file, email it to me, accept the incoming connection, allow control...

and then she sat and watched me as I set her email up on Outlook on her computer from 200 miles away, lol
Old 09-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks fink I will get with you soon on that job has me donin 18 hour shifts lately so I have not really had a chance to play with this thing yet soon as I get some time I will set it up with you.

Thanks to everyone else for your help and the info as well
Old 09-22-2010, 11:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
the issue with you USB is an option in the BIOS. as long as dell did not lock the BIOS out. ill send you a pm with my number to help you out.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dark_fairytales
the issue with you USB is an option in the BIOS. as long as dell did not lock the BIOS out. ill send you a pm with my number to help you out.
If it came with the BIOS locked out somebody messed with it.

It could be a setting in the BIOS but none of the Dell's I've ever owned have had that option.

Let me know if you figure it out though, I'll add it to my arsenal of fixes that I use on the Dell's at the office.

Fink