Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Java help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 07:14 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Java help

Ok. I've been searching across the web for a way to basically create my own moving wallpaper. I have a few .class Java files that I've used for my own sites, but I want to embed them into my wallpaper. And I suppose it would be helpful to mention I'm running Windows 7.

I remember reading somewhere that there was a way to in a backdoor kinda way to not enable active desktop (windows 7 no longer has this feature) but I guess make an active desktop.....
Old 03-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Well you can install Dreamscene on 7 (which was included with Vista, but for some reason MS decided not to put it in 7).

It doesn't do Java, but instead allows you to use video clips as your wallpaper. Not sure if your be interested in that, but you can Google the how-to's on installing and setting it up on 7.

But for the most part, MS did away with Active Desktop in favor of the Desktop Gadget utilities found in Vista and 7.

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 03-06-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
Well you can install Dreamscene on 7 (which was included with Vista, but for some reason MS decided not to put it in 7).

It doesn't do Java, but instead allows you to use video clips as your wallpaper. Not sure if your be interested in that, but you can Google the how-to's on installing and setting it up on 7.

But for the most part, MS did away with Active Desktop in favor of the Desktop Gadget utilities found in Vista and 7.
Naw...that's not gonna work but thanks! I have a specific java applet that I want to apply to my desktop wallpaper. I have the code for the applet, just need to figure a way to apply it.

Someone just told me there's a program that launches .jar files...

Last edited by JoshToy84; 03-06-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 PM

Ok so I found out in order to make a jar file executable, you simply need to point windows to execute it under the JRE. I accomplished it with a few quick keystrokes at the command line. But I run into this error now:

Java Virtual Machine Launcher
---------------------------
Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from
C:\..........\DuriusWaterPic.jar

So best I can figure it's missing something...and I have a feeling it's the html code that it's looking for, which I have. Thoughts?

Last edited by JoshToy84; 03-06-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please read this: http://download.oracle.com/javase/tu...ar/appman.html

The problem you have is that you do not have a manifest.txt or your manifest.txt contains the wrong info, has nothing to do with your HTML.

From windows command shell (command/dos prompt window) to run any .jar you use the command "jre -jar foo.jar" replace "foo" with the appropriate name. You can also just click on the windows icon then "Run" (if you have it set to show up) and in the box type your "jre -jar C:\blah\blah\blah\foo.jar" command there and hit enter.

e: You could've solved this yourself if you had Googled the error, first hit provided an answer and contained the link (same one I just posted) to the necessary documentation.

Last edited by Magnusian; 03-06-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Magnusian
Please read this: http://download.oracle.com/javase/tu...ar/appman.html

The problem you have is that you do not have a manifest.txt or your manifest.txt contains the wrong info, has nothing to do with your HTML.

From windows command shell (command/dos prompt window) to run any .jar you use the command "jre -jar foo.jar" replace "foo" with the appropriate name. You can also just click on the windows icon then "Run" (if you have it set to show up) and in the box type your "jre -jar C:\blah\blah\blah\foo.jar" command there and hit enter.

e: You could've solved this yourself if you had Googled the error, first hit provided an answer and contained the link (same one I just posted) to the necessary documentation.
Ok..sorry...I was just trying to avoid countless hours of google searching. Although this resolution was the first hit, as we all know, google can bring up millions of results, and your answer doesn't always lie in the first hit. I was just trying to utilize the knowledge of my fellow YotaTechers...that's what a forum is all about.

Last edited by JoshToy84; 03-07-2011 at 10:50 AM.