Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

I am done with AVG anti virus

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 08:51 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I am done with AVG anti virus

Long story short...
A few months back I booted up my PC before work and no screen.
I knew the monitor was good as it flashed its name.
Suspected the video card was toast, and I was right.

Dropped it off at the shop and they put in a much faster NVIDIA gaming card, and poof, it blew
They had to eat it though, and it was traced to a bad power supply.
They put in a new Thermaltake (my favorite brand) that was bigger than the old one, another video card, and all was good.

I also had them keep the original 300 GB hard drive in, but had them clone it to a 500 GB one and make the new one the C drive.

It ran OK for awhile, but was slow, since it was an old Windows install and I had not formatted it since I built in Christmas of 2007.

Last week it would load into Windows, but you could not do anything.
Bad sectors on the drive, and they could not recover it, so they baked it up, put in another 500 GB hard drive, and loaded XP Pro and updates, and added a folder to the desktop with my old files.

Picked it up yesterday and worked on it for almost five straight hours restoring programs and updating them.
It purred like a kitten and was extremely fast with its fresh format and installation.

Last to put on was a newer AVG anti virus, and it kept wanting to scan the first time, but I held off since I was doing other stuff.
I finally let it scan, and it found around thirty infected (so they say) dll files in the system 32 folder of Windows.
It had quarantined them and rebooted, and you can guess what happened next.

At boot up it got the XP screen, but no welcome screen.
It was stuck in a continuous loop or rebooting.

I can duel boot with an F8 to the old hard drive and Windows on it, so I opened up the new drive which gets renamed to E since I am booting off of the old drive, and sure enough, in the root of it under AVG$$$ which is their quarantine folder were tons of dll files it had yanked out of the Windows system folder.

I have ran AVG for years, and I also have it on the old C drive and my Dell laptop here, and have never had this happen before.
Why would AVG yank perfectly good dll files out and cause me this grief?

Dropped it off at the shop a bit ago, and they think they can do a recovery with the system disc to add files back or reinstalled Windows over Windows, and then do my updates.
Told them to yank AVG off of their too.

They quit using AVG years ago, and they are using something free from Microsoft which I am not familiar with.
I also run this from Webroot which is anti spyware and anti virus.
Maybe that is all I will run for now on.
http://www.webroot.com/En_US/consume...pysweeper.html

Anyone else ever have AVG or another anti virus program take out perfectly good files and cause this problem?
Old 09-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
That's interesting. I too have been using AVG for years now, without a single hitch. Granted, I started using AVG when I went to Vista and Windows 7 because my Symantec wasn't compatible with anything past XP 32bit...

Still using AVG to this day on both my desktop and laptop, both running Windows 7 64bit, my mothers computer running Vista 32bit, and my sister's computer running XP 64bit, none of which have had the issue you're having. I know it's working too because every once in a while when I download something like the program to work with my USB ATMEL chip programmer (for RC stuff... don't ask ) it throws up a red flag and tells me I should quarantine the program, even though I know it's fine.

What's holding you back from going to Windows 7? Windows Defender does a decent job at keeping malicious software at bay, but as far as I know it's only on 7

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 09-19-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:54 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Not going to Windows 7 until my next build which may be after Christmas or early spring.
I want to make sure have apps I have now are all compatible first.

Interesting thing too with AVG I had all the stuff turned on and then later the one important shield was turned off an highlighted in red, and I could not turn it back on.
Shop thinks I got some malware somehow doing my updates, and that instructed AVG to turn off the resident scanner shield, then instructed it to take out the dll files.

I will probably end up leaving it off though and just rely on the free Windows one and the Webroot one I have been using for years since they now have anti virus incorporated into it.

I ran a scan from the old hard drive before I took it in yesterday using AVG, and it did find a virus in the backup they placed on my desktop with the old Programs folder.
It was a dll file under the Java folder.
But it just sits there since it was a backup.
Not sure if I need to have Java on the PC or not, but I am sure it comes with something.
Tech said Java is famous for letting stuff into your PC.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:54 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I got my PC back from the shop yesterday, and they had to put another new Western Digital 500 GB drive in it.

They backed up my files and had them on the desktop for me to put back on again.
I am running Webroots malware and anti virus app only, no AVG.
http://www.webroot.com/En_US/consume...pysweeper.html
Old 09-30-2012, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.eset.com/us/

Nod32 i have heard great reviews from the tech guy leo laport.

I will be running this when my box is back online
Old 09-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by 50r
if its malware its time you think of malwarebyte its very good
I ran that on my old hard drive that I could still boot to using F8 (dual boot PC) and used it to scan the new drive they put in a few weeks back, but it did not find anything.

The shop also scanned my drives for viruses and malware a week back when it went in again, and they found nothing.
He did say my drive they were trying to repair did lock up their server that they back up stuff to.
Said was probably my bad sectors that did it.

Anyways, PC is running good, and I have a new Seagate 1 terabyte USB drive backing it up.
Using their dashboard program takes forever though, it is only as 20% backing up, and it has been going for almost 8 hours.

I think it might be better if I just drag and drop my files to it instead of letting them make an ISO image for whatever, seems to take longer their way.
Some of the reviews on it said to not use their software, and just drag the files to it.
Seagate Backup Plus 1 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive STCA1000100 Seagate Backup Plus 1 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive STCA1000100

Quick Reply: I am done with AVG anti virus