Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Best anti virus?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
avg all the way. i had norton, but it severely slowed down my machine. avg does too, but not nearly as bad. now if i was to use a firewall, id use nortons instead of mcafee, since mcafee is the only firewall that gives out your IP. weird huh? a firewall that gives out ur IP.... w/e
Old 01-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so i have just been doing some research... its an almost even match between Avast and AVG. seems like people are leaning to AVG. any reasons why one over the other?
Old 01-27-2008, 09:44 PM

AVG is great for a free program, but the detection rate is only approx 80-85% IIRC.

I use Kaspersky, I think it's one of the better scanners out there and it doesn't load the system down too much, but it may have some compatibility issues with ZoneAlarm if you use that as your firewall. I've got some systems running with both on there with no problems, but I've got others where I can't even get both of them installed.

Norton actually has a decent scanner, the problem with it is that it's so bloated that it's a resource hog. If you don't do anything resource intensive with your PC, it's not a bad choice - and the Norton Security Suite did get top billing in the Dec issue of PC World (or PCMag - I forget which).

~Bill
Old 08-22-2011, 12:23 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I thought I'd try to BUMP this thread rather than start my own(do I get a cookie?.... or a slap on the forehead!? hahaha).

I also wanted to get something more current going in regards to discussion... Last post 2008?

So;

Can someone tell me what is the most NON-INTRUSIVE, Snail Rate Causing Anti-virus program out there right now? I almost feel like I'm addicted to a bad relationship, pertaining to my continuing for 5 YEARS TO UPDATE/RENEW MCAFEE! .... Someone, ....please tell me "It's ok to DUMP IT!" LOL. ???

I like "Site Advisor".... but I'm not sure it's even effective, as I can't keep up with "bleepingcomputers.com" and such, any longer... NO TIME! lol.

I know it's mildly off topic... but I'd also like a FOR SURE GOOD tool for 'cleaning up my registry, etc., etc., etc.'! Just to optimize it's speed. Now that the computer fixed the McAfee issue Windows 7 was having with McAfee.... it's much faster, once again... But I KNOW IT WONT LAST!!!! hahaha.

PS> I also have "Pay Version Malwarebytes".... And I don't mind PAYING for something if it will ACTUALLY do more/remove more, etc., ya know?

thanks,

Mark
Old 08-23-2011, 05:12 AM

Avast! free antivirus.

http://www.avast.com/en-us/free-antivirus-download

Used it for 5 years on several computers, no issues.

You have to register with a email but there is no cost and no spam.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:27 AM

Thanks, Kevtek! My brother keeps telling me "Avira"...... But I don't think he's researched it at all in years, lol.

That's what sux.... I'm not illiterate with computers, ...I've managed to learn quite a bit in a few years time(no games, no nasty, just communications and this site, really).... and yet, those "CNET and PCWORLD" always seem to list ones as "The Best" that I've HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS WITH! lol.... "#1 McAfee Security Suite", "#2 Norton"... WTH? NORTON JUST ABOUT KILLED MY OS on the first computer I ACTUALLY BOUGHT in 2004. lol. It loaded some thing that, when I failed to renew it, ...it SCREWED UP EVERYTHING! That's when the guy at the store said, "McAfee is better than norton".... but I didn't press him... He probably would have told me, "We're not supposed to 'push' anything.... but I use 'THIS' or 'THAT' " ya know? lol.

Anyway, my point is I'm not on a bunch of risky sites... but now adays, even photobucket has had nasty virus', etc. (ask me how I know? lol.... Got the Windows Security 2010 Virus there... Destroyed my OS on the SECOND COMPUTER I HAD! lol)

this one seems ok, but it's not communicating well with some of the stuff on here. And the HP Advisor... any input on that?
Old 08-23-2011, 06:06 PM

Funny thing is I'm pretty sure Norton in itself is a virus. I used it in the early stages and it seemed ok but somewhere in the last decade it went bad. McAfee also used to be good but has since gone sour. I used AVG for a wile and it did me good but somehow the active scan missed a fairly serious worm, after the format I switched to Avast! and haven't looked back.

I can offer no input on hp advisor as I've never owned an hp computer in 23 years(there printers are great though). I would probably get rid of it if my computer came with it.

The only problem with Avast I've had actually happened yesterday. I bought a Asus G53 laptop and after uninstalling all the bloatware and installing and registering Avast it would not update the definition file. A simple uninstall and reinstall fixed the issue(corrupt installer maybe?).

The best advice to avoid catching something while browsing is to make sure your av is up to date and only use internet explorer to download mozilla firefox (and then never use IE again) and install the adblock add-on for firefox. From there it's a matter of being careful what you visit and download.

I also hate photobucket, picasa web album ftw.

On a side note: I love to mess with "the guy at the store".

EDIT: I forgot.... ALWAYS MAKE SURE WINDOWS (and hardware drivers) ARE UP TO DATE!

Last edited by kevtek; 08-23-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:11 PM

avast is better than avg....cuz it scans in the background...it will catch more. as for spyware and such use malwarebytes....its free also and far superior to adware and spybot.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:32 PM

^ this is the short and sweet version. Although I havn't had to scan for spyware in years.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:26 PM

Hey guys, THANKS, SO MUCH! Usually I'm on here trying to further restore my rig, ....now I just want to learn a couple things on Puters that will make my life a lot LESS STRESSFUL! LOL. (Less, being the key word... I know it'll never be problem free, completely... I just don't have time to educate myself with the regularity that I'd like to, ya know?)

1. I have Malwarebytes, the Pay Version( I'm sure I didn't need to pay... But my computer buddy told me, "If you're not broke.... don't mind paying, .... it DOES give you a few more goodies like auto updating every day/every hour if you want... and will actually be able to 'DISPOSE' of things whereas the free version can't. The free will catch the same things, ... it just quarantines them, rather than totally removing them like the pay version".... He was probably a bit off on that one, I don't know... but it's worked great for me.

2. McAfee seems to have lots of issues with Mozilla products.... Especially Firefox(I've not used IE-ANYTHING in around 5 years(Unless firefox is down, only then I will use Google Chrome.... Is that bad?<<< lol)

3. I've had this new Compaq(same as HP... Couldn't afford to pass up 350$ for what I got through a buddy at Office Depot... SHHHH! lol... You're probably thinking, "great buddy! COMPAQ???" lol... But actually, he got me this, a VERY nice HP 4-in-1 worth around 200$ and a wireless kit and more for 350$~! Like I said, ... I couldn't afford to miss out on that deal...) Anyway, I've had it for around a year or more? The couple people I asked about "HP Advisor" who were computer guru's told me, 'DO NOT delete that'.... They said, "It works in junction with Windows and it is the only REALLY accurate way to keep your actual, physical 'COMPUTER' up to date.... You just have to...".... then, it turned to >>> 'greek, chinese, mongolian!'.... on the rest! lol No, jk, it was something about settings and making sure it ONLY operates while I'm sleeping. The problem is, I can't seem to get it to stop interfering while I'm awake! lol....TILL RECENTLY> Secondly.... Now it seems like I get a warning, OFTEN NOW, which says, "HP Advisor has stopped working, do you want so find a solution?"..... I let windows look, and it seems like it always comes back 'VOID', with "Windows couldn't figure it out",...in other words, of course, lol. If I restart after updates, HP Advisor always comes on, puts up it's lil taskbar on the screen up top..... and then for some reason it stops working. I've been told that Windows 7 is having problems working 'friendly' with quite a few things... is this so?

4. Far as virus' or malware.... Malwarebytes has caught EVERY malicious site, even the ones that McAfee has a 'GREEN CHECK MARK' next to with their "Site Advisor"...(I'm starting to wonder, ..."is this 'site advisor worth a crap?...if not, why even bother?" hahaha) Malwarebytes seems to work GREAT with Firefox as well, which McAfee NEVER seems to do.

Question;

Will Avast help me DELETE MCAFEE, COMPLETELY? You know, ...taking over the Windows Warnings and such where I will no longer get McAfee warnings?

If I get Avast Premium Pay.... am I wasting my money? Or is it wise to get it if I don't always remember to update, etc.? (The free one doesn't auto-update, right????? lol)

VERY CURIOUS if any of the "Clean my PC" type programs are any good. I know I have a defrag program in here, ...but I'm talking about something that will totally clean up my registry, etc., .... any input on that?

THANKS A LOT, GUYS! Very grateful!!!

Mark

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-23-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:05 PM

1. Avast will do nothing to remove the plague that is Mcaffe IMHO. A fresh format is in order. (if you are able to uninstall Mcaffe COMPLETELY and install avast the windows warnings should go away)

2. I have found no need for the paid version of avast since the free one active scans. Although I might pay for it since it's done me so well on so many machines... As long as you register the free version you don't need to worry about updating it does all the work for you(just disable the annoying audios).

3. I have no experience with the clean my PC programs. I think most of them are scams, anyone feel free to correct me. I have found great success in keeping my systems clean from format and doing periodic disc cleanups and defrags every other month or so. If you need a program to clean your registry you might as well format IMHO.

I actually just ghosted, wiped, formatted, and installed OS, Avast, Mozilla, and Open office on 3 machines today I plan to sell(all diffrent OS mind you). I am amazed how well they run. I should have made youtube videos and put ads on them....

BTW I learned today that apparently the free avast is a spyware scanner too...

My computers are great but lord is my truck rusty....
Old 09-04-2011, 08:06 PM

Check out NOD32 or NOD64.. been using for about 3 years now and i've downloaded some garbage and not once has it not been able to take care of it.. and my computer is the hub for all music movies, installers.. and useless crap for the whole house.. also my daughters computers acutally run microsfot security essentaisl and there pretty protected as well.. AVG is just alot of cool colors and Anti virus for dummys wording.. just like a car.. you get what you pay for..
Old 09-07-2011, 09:19 PM

Hey guys, thanks much for the input/sharing of your expertise!

Ok, ..... I went to majorgeek.com and found a post on "Completely removing McAfee".... Well, being a dolt, I read down below how it said, "First, go to MCPR.exe and download file from>>> ".... and nothing else.... Which I thought was some conspiracy! HAHAHA, jk... But really, I couldn't figure out why there wasn't a link there. Then by chance, I thought, "Maybe they mean search for it on my computer, it's already there, then follow the steps?" hahaha... yeah, I know.

Anyway, I successfully removed most of it, but some other random files I downloaded like "McAfee Virtual Technician", etc., had remained. (this will become relevant in a minute, lol)....

I then downloaded the free Avast from their mirror link, and suddenly, I had the Avast lady speaking to me, etc. Then, I decided to just purchase the version that's offered(I know, I probably don't need to, but a couple computer guys told me, "If you don't mind spending 19$, it DOES do a lil more"... so I did.

THEN, I ran into all kinds of problems, "inserting license", etc., and so I called the number in my purchase email. I got some guy in India whom I could BARELY understand, .... and eventually, he did a remote session with my dumb butt and showed me all kinds of registry errors were occurring, blah blah, yadda yadda...

THEN, out of nowhere, ... he started trying to sell me this service where he could fix everything for 169$ a year or an amazing deal of 299$ a 2 year contract.... ON AND ON, while I'm trying to interrupt him, saying, "DUDE, I WILL NOT pay a dime more for this to be fixed. I have NO MAJOR issues with this computer, and it ran MUCH faster after removing McAfee, ....and those files you see that you're telling me are causing the license not to upload? NONSENSE, .... I KNOW you're doing it wrong. Do what I tell you while you're on here and it will work. 4 TIMES he did it wrong, and kept telling me "oh, sirrrrr, it's just all this corruption on here..." ........I cut him off again... "DUDE, you did not ONCE do what I said,...I kept telling you to FIRST RELOAD THE FREE VERSION.... becuz there isn't a single bit of evidence that I even had Avast before you got on here! Then, copy the license file I pasted to my desktop and load it in there!" ..... He would NOT concede, and eventually, I hung up on him, after 30 MINUTES AND TOO MUCH ASKING OF INFO HE COULDN'T POSSIBLY NEED!

THEN, ..... I thought about it, reloaded the free version, went to my email with the license activation code... went to the link, the "HELP" icon, then asked for the license to be resent to my email. I then clicked on the license link, saved it, ran it, and VOILA, .... I suddenly had AVAST PRO, which I didn't even pay for! WTH? lol.

Suddenly, I realize, ....... Avast might be better, but their technical support on the phone? GOOD LORD! lol. The dude was trying to RIP ME FREAKIN OFF, man!

I can already tell how much LESS INTRUSIVE this Avast is, and I'm VERY GRATEFUL to all of you that suggested it. However, from now on, I'll deal with any technical issues during business hours of Great Britain, maybe? hahaha. Still might get India, who knows... but at least I can try, right?

I guess it's a good thing, because I realized how much I DO understand computers... which isn't as much as you guys.... And, I realize that I've come a long way from starting an email account a couple years ago. I help my sister all the time with her OS problems... I just don't deal well with change, I guess! hahaha... That's probably why I didn't wanna dump the McAfee!

WORD OF WARNING......

IF YOU HAVE MCAFEE, AND YOU WIND UP LOSING YOUR MIND BECAUSE IT'S CORRUPTING THINGS, SLOWING YOU DOWN, HIDING PICTURES THAT YOU TRY TO ROTATE(YESSSSSSS, IT STARTED DOING THAT TODAY, THAT WAS THE LAST STRAW! HAHAH).... WELL, THEN YOU NEED TO JUST GIVE UP ON THE LOYALTY TO THEM AND DUMP IT IN THE TRASH BIN! Then, ....... EMPTY THE RECYCLE BIN! (that's pretty interesting.... it tries VERY hard to stop you! lol).

Go to Majorgeek.com or bleepingcomputers.com and start 'SEARCHING', ....there is ALWAYS an answer to whatever you're going through! I got lots of good info here, but I didn't wanna ask you guys to walk me through everything! lol. I searched, and I found! lol.

thanks again, guys, so far so good!
Old 10-16-2011, 09:40 PM

No one mentioned Microsoft Security Essentials? Top three are MSE, Avast, and AVG. It really depends on preference which one to go with. They all use about 60mb of ram and have fast scans, with constant definition updates. However, I've had personal experience with a lot of false positives from AVG and not catching spyware after test scans, with MSE picking up its slack immediately. A good combination would be MSE or Avast, teamed up with Malwarebytes and Ace Utilities. Ace Utilities is a very robust, and lite system cleaner. Simply put, it's pure badass. Firewalls are good to have, but aren't really imperative for your average user.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:53 AM

Yeah, someone mentioned MSE... I just ended up grabbing avast before I put my fist through the computer one night! hahaha.

I've had malwarebytes for a while now... even with McAfee, which apparently doesn't work very well with McAfee(GO FIGURE, EH?????? HAHAHA)....

I also got sucked into getting uniblue while I was on majorgeek.com, ...but it was screwing up from day one, couldn't update, and all the info I was getting was "registry cleaners SUK!" LOL. Not sure how true that is.... I hear lots about CCleaner? Can't remember what it was called... it's the free one that most every techy site talks about having. I'd like to clean up the registry, for sure. I defrag on occasions... but just need something to get rid of the multiple java's that I don't need, etc., ya know?

A problem I'm having now is this;

*** When I go into sleep mode, the network adapter seems to be having problems. I'm trying to figure out how to reload it or update, but having trouble. It's not a huge problem, .... it always takes around 1.5-2 minutes for the internet to come back, that's it. If I hit troubleshoot, that's where I find out through windows that it's a 'network adapter issue'.... But I haven't gone too much further into it on the net, cuz by the time I get to that, the web is back up on my computer, hahaha. I KNOW it's this computer..... not my FIOS router or something like that, because my laptop NEVER does that. When I shake my laptop out of sleep mode, POOF, it's back on line.(not sure it's ever offline, lol)..........

**** I've already gone in to "My computer" and "Network 'Whatever' ", lol... and turned off the 'go offline when in sleep mode'..... But I'ma check it again to see if I did something wrong. Nonetheless, it was doing this before I touched it. IN FACT, that's WHY I went in and touched up that stuff in the first place, lol.

Is the network adapter a common issue? It doesn't seem like it, lol.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

Ive used Avast since I had problems with mcafee. No problems unlike mcafee. Knockin on wood....
Old 10-18-2011, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by FJHammerHead
Ive used Avast since I had problems with mcafee. No problems unlike mcafee. Knockin on wood....
WOOT! lol... Seriously, I'm HAPPY, literally, when I see others DUMPING THAT 'DUMP' of a program, McAfee! I guess it's good for businesses, ... but dang, it caused me MAJOR problems for too long... Good riddance! hahaha.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:39 PM

I have tried them all

AVG is joke and only catches the obvious viruses.

Norton and McAfee are both garbage bloatware.

Avast and NOD are ok but still missed a decent amount of things and didn't prevent users from getting things.

Bit Defender and Kapersky are crap. BitDefender liked to crash servers and Kapersky just didn't do a damn thing.

Currently the best combo I have found is Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes paid version NT the free version. The paid version actively scans. They both have very small foot print. Malwarebytes is good at preventing people from going where they shouldn't. Main reason I use MSE is because Windows doesn't see Malwarebytes as a valid AV. MSE is a bit pickier so it does block some things that Malwarebytes missed though they are not always viruses e.g. ipscanning software and other hacking tools. Malwarebytes licensing is also a lifetime license so you don't have to drop $30-90 every year.

When using all the others in the list I would have to deal with virus removal on user PCS quite often. Nowadays (knock on wood) I may do it once every 3-6 months. I do out sourced IT for a living so we are talking hundreds of computers.

Last edited by 707eric; 10-30-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by 707eric
I have tried them all

AVG is joke and only catches the obvious viruses.

Norton and McAfee are both garbage bloatware.

Avast and NOD are ok but still missed a decent amount of things and didn't prevent users from getting things.

Bit Defender and Kapersky are crap. BitDefender liked to crash servers and Kapersky just didn't do a damn thing.

Currently the best combo I have found is Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes paid version NT the free version. The paid version actively scans. They both have very small foot print. Malwarebytes is good at preventing people from going where they shouldn't. Main reason I use MSE is because Windows doesn't see Malwarebytes as a valid AV. MSE is a bit pickier so it does block some things that Malwarebytes missed though they are not always viruses e.g. ipscanning software and other hacking tools. Malwarebytes licensing is also a lifetime license so you don't have to drop $30-90 every year.

When using all the others in the list I would have to deal with virus removal on user PCS quite often. Nowadays (knock on wood) I may do it once every 3-6 months. I do out sourced IT for a living so we are talking hundreds of computers.

Well said. MSE and Malwarebytes all the way.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:42 AM

I will actually provide one caveat to Norton's stuff (and yes, I know this is my first post...but I do this for the gov't).

NORTON Antivirus is worthless, IMHO.

HOWEVER....SYMANTEC Antivirus (the stuff produced for the corporate/business side) is another matter. I can run this on my home computer because I am affiliated both with the military (9 years in the Navy, going on 8 years in the Army Reserves) and with the government, and I run Symantec Endpoint Protection on my computer mainly because it's all business and no fluff - which is what the "Norton" side SHOULD be.

It can be bought by the regular joe - just not at a physical store. It can be downloaded from their website.

Quick Reply: Best anti virus?