GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

New CB...er...Ham Radio for my Truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
guess what all, my shooting star 225 is pretty much dead, been trying to battle a squeel issue and redid my mount etc etc, SWR good a little higher on 40 then 1 but still under 1.5. Took the unit out of the loop and no squeel. Guess 40W pep is gonna have to do haha.
too much input on the d/k?

harmonics?

overmodulating (are you running a power mike, or clipped limiter)?
Old 02-26-2011, 05:21 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
hmmmm hi-jack on. Dang it. lol Sorry O.P.

The radio has three power outputs one of which should give a 1W dead key. No power mike just an older High Gear mike. I've tried with mike gain down to half and still somewhat of a squeal, but did manage to get it out turning the mike gain down. However then it sounds like I am talking through as fish bowl. Not sure if that's the case with and without the SS 225 or straight radio.

SWR seems ok between the radio and the SSR 225 as well. If it were high I would think it's because too high of a dead key or the need for a low pass filter.

Overmodulation could be an issue though as the radio has been tweaked. Just not sure what all has been done to it, since I am not the original owner of the radio.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:59 AM

the fish bowl effect is probably harmonics or heterodyning.

overmodulation could be the result of a clipped limiter (one of the most common golden screwdriver "tweaks and peaks". combine that w/ a powermike and you've got the recipie for overmodulation.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:57 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Woohoo! I just got an email from the shop I bought my radio from. Turns out I got the last one they had in stock! Dunno if they're getting another shipment, but from what Ranger says their last shipment is to be sometime in between January and March.

They said that it was gonna ship out Monday, so hopefully I'll have it by Wednesday or Thursday. I'll take some pics once I get it installed.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:08 AM

what antenna are you gonna run with that? BTW if your gonna set your SWR with that (which you really should) make sure the meter you use is capable of handling the 400W or at least the 200W since measuring is usually done during dead key.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 02-26-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:28 AM

what antenna are you gonna run with that? BTW if your gonna set your SWR with that (which you really should) make sure the meter you use is capable of handling the 400W or at least the 200W since measuring is usually done during dead key.
Hmm...that's weird. This radio has an swr button, but no knob that I can see to calibrate it.

Anyway, I've got a rad shack no ground plane antenna, but I'm sure it's not going to handle the power. A person on a CB forum told me a story about him setting his rad shack antenna aflame from keying with just 250 watts. So, I'll be getting a 102" steel whip.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:03 PM

some radios have the calibration on them, but most do not and you have to adjust it at the antenna making it shorter or longer, most of the good antennas have adjuster already on the antenna itself. Those 102's aren't adjustable but assuming good ground and no obstructions should be good to go. If you have High SWR with the 102" it's almost always an issue with the mount not being grounded well enough.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^^Agreed. Sweet radio btw I wanna see pics once you have it.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:00 PM

some radios have the calibration on them, but most do not and you have to adjust it at the antenna making it shorter or longer, most of the good antennas have adjuster already on the antenna itself. Those 102's aren't adjustable but assuming good ground and no obstructions should be good to go. If you have High SWR with the 102" it's almost always an issue with the mount not being grounded well enough.
Good to know. I forget though, it's been years since I've adjusted swr. How much are you supposed to cut off for each adjustment? 1/8th inch? I know it's always better to not cut enough off than too much.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:06 PM

you don't cut a 102" it's designed to be the correct wavelength already.

As far as adjusting, if swr for CH 1 is lower than CH 40 then you shorten by small amounts. Till they are as even as you can get them. Opposite is true if CH 1 is higher then CH 40 then you lengthen. Now you only need to cut the bottom of the antenna if you run out of room to stick the whip into it's mount. To lengthen you put less into the mount.

Now on an adjustable antenna like a firestick there is a screw on it you turn. My Wilson Flex has an adjustable top that you lengthen/shorten like a mag mount, but even with the top completely off I have a higher swr on 40 then I do on 1. But it's still under 1.5.

When adjusting SWR some people would rather just adjust so they have the lower SWR on the channel they use the most instead of evening it out across the channels.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:12 PM

you don't cut a 102" it's designed to be the correct wavelength already.

As far as adjusting, if swr for CH 1 is lower than CH 40 then you shorten by small amounts. Till they are as even as you can get them. Opposite is true if CH 1 is higher then CH 40 then you lengthen. Now you only need to cut the bottom of the antenna if you run out of room to stick the whip into it's mount. To lengthen you put less into the mount.

Now on an adjustable antenna like a firestick there is a screw on it you turn. My Wilson Flex has an adjustable top that you lengthen/shorten like a mag mount, but even with the top completely off I have a higher swr on 40 then I do on 1. But it's still under 1.5.

When adjusting SWR some people would rather just adjust so they have the lower SWR on the channel they use the most instead of evening it out across the channels.
Ok...gotcha. Well, we'll see what happens when I power it on.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by JoshToy84
Woohoo! I just got an email from the shop I bought my radio from. Turns out I got the last one they had in stock! Dunno if they're getting another shipment, but from what Ranger says their last shipment is to be sometime in between January and March.

They said that it was gonna ship out Monday, so hopefully I'll have it by Wednesday or Thursday. I'll take some pics once I get it installed.
congrats! nice radio - i was really looking at one of the older rangers with the built-in amp to simplify wiring in my DD, but just wasn't sure the alt. and electricals were up to it.

i've heard nothing but good things about them, though, so i think you should have years of trouble-free talking.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:29 PM

Hmm...that's weird. This radio has an swr button, but no knob that I can see to calibrate it.

Anyway, I've got a rad shack no ground plane antenna, but I'm sure it's not going to handle the power. A person on a CB forum told me a story about him setting his rad shack antenna aflame from keying with just 250 watts. So, I'll be getting a 102" steel whip.
unless you really need the height, or don't need to go through drive-thrus, parking garages, etc... there are shorter options like bottom load or wound antennas like the firestiks, skipshooters, wilsons, etc...

250w isn't gonna damage any of them, they can handle a fair amount (within reason) of power w/o melting, etc...

not sure about the firestiks, but the skipshooters have fairly similar construction, and can handle 600w easily.

heck, even if you ran a LOT of power, the wilson 5000 can handle it - lots of people here running power use the wilson 5000 or even the wilson 1000 with no ill effects.

i'm just using a 25 year old 102" whip because i'm too cheap and lazy - too cheap to pick up another antenna, and too lazy to fab up new mounts for a new antenna.

when i get around to it, i'll get a MM open coil antenna if i ever decide to get back into the scene again.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Merlin
unless you really need the height, or don't need to go through drive-thrus, parking garages, etc... there are shorter options like bottom load or wound antennas like the firestiks, skipshooters, wilsons, etc...

250w isn't gonna damage any of them, they can handle a fair amount (within reason) of power w/o melting, etc...

not sure about the firestiks, but the skipshooters have fairly similar construction, and can handle 600w easily.
I've seen the tip of a firestik get launched across a parking lot, across the street, and landed in the parking lot across the street, so I won't be doing that.

But considering that I'll eventually be getting a lift and some knobbies for my truck, I think the 102" will look pretty sweet.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mudd Duck 1
^^^^Agreed. Sweet radio btw I wanna see pics once you have it.
Of course..I'll post em as soon as I get it installed. I was able to find one actual picture of the radio on google images, and let me tell ya, the picture Ranger uses doesn't do it justice at all. It looks like they actually chromed the casing, it doesn't look like it's plated.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:26 PM

Just got my radio yesterday, and let me tell you, this thing is bitchin and to my surprise with my 102" steel whip, I have a 1:1 match across the band, right out of the box:

I made a contact already with someone in the midwest--I heard him just barely over the static and couldn't get back to him, but I did hear him respond to me.

Here's the weird thing, the freq counter shows me a few kc's off freq, but everyone I've talked to says I sound right on. But from my understanding, since it's digital, it's not actually showing the true TX freq. Sadly though, I dropped the radio in my room last night and bent the volume and mic gain knobs...can't adjust my squelch, but everything else works just fine.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:30 PM

Interesting way to mount, any better photos of how you mounted that?

Told ya the 102" probably won't need any tuning. You might be able to get even better SWR by bonding the body/doors etc to the frame.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:47 PM

Interesting way to mount, any better photos of how you mounted that?

Told ya the 102" probably won't need any tuning. You might be able to get even better SWR by bonding the body/doors etc to the frame.
Well, I don't think you can get any better than a 1:1 match. Actually, this radio weighs about 8 pounds..was going to mount it under the glove box, but there's no way it'll support that weight, so it's actually mounted to the screw that is on the side that holds your radio bezel in.

Oh...and apparently I'd inadvertedly (sp?) bought a higher output battery when I replaced it about 3 weeks ago, so the radio actually is being powered well. The truck bogs down ever so slightly when I key down with full power, but it's not enough to cause an issue.

Last edited by JoshToy84; 03-04-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:02 AM

Here's the weird thing, the freq counter shows me a few kc's off freq, but everyone I've talked to says I sound right on. But from my understanding, since it's digital, it's not actually showing the true TX freq.
not sure about your particular model, but i know on some other export radios, the freqs tend to drift a little until they get warmed up. the SS3900 models (and i'd suspect their Connex counterparts and whoever else they share boards and parts commonality with) are known to drift for a couple of minutes after your turn them on.

my SS3900GHP didn't come w/ a freq counter built-in, so i picked up an external one, and i can watch the freqs drift around for a couple of minutes and then stabilize on a channel. doesn't seem to affect sound quality at all (freq changes +/- must be minimal) so i don't worry about it.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:03 AM

Well, I don't think you can get any better than a 1:1 match. Actually, this radio weighs about 8 pounds..was going to mount it under the glove box, but there's no way it'll support that weight, so it's actually mounted to the screw that is on the side that holds your radio bezel in.
thanks for posting the weight - i was considering one of those radios (actually its predecessor) some time ago, but wasn't sure of the height and weight (was going to be mounted hanging under the dash). didn't want to hit a bump and find the radio on the floor.

Quick Reply: New CB...er...Ham Radio for my Truck