GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

Does my truck really need a laptop to run?

Old 04-16-2013, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does my truck really need a laptop to run?

I want to start a conversation on in-car processing power. The picture below, although left messy for dramatics, is a real representation of my 4runner. I now need a NetBook to scan and track my vehicle, really?

Now it is a given that I have over-complicated my vehicle with:
1. Fuel Management Software
2. OBD II Scanner
3. Wide band O2 Sensor and data logger
4. Overland Navigator GPS

Is there a better way? I’ve seen some advances from PLX Devices where it interfaces by Bluetooth to your smart phone. However, the app only monitors some of the basics.

What is your set up, and what have you seen that might simplify all this junk?
Attached Thumbnails Does my truck really need a laptop to run?-yota10.jpg  
Old 04-16-2013, 12:56 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Not sure on all the programs your using being I'm obd1 so I can't do all that fancy ness but I have seen some pretty sweet set ups where a 7-10 inch screen is mounted on a swivel and the wiring goes to a mini tower customized in the armrest console, I have also see a couple mini Macs used. I have my ipad mounted and it's wonderful for everything but I haven't really researched the engine management apps and such just cause I can't really use them. It does look like a lot I wonder if a wicked tablet would run what you need, if so that would clean up most of that stuff.

Just a couple of ideas
Old 04-16-2013, 02:03 PM

Not a bad idea. Something touch-screen would be nice. Tough part is the OBD-II and Split Second Fuel Mgmt units require serial ports. I've had to use USB to Serial adapters just to cope. Not sure if any tables have multiple inputs. At least I wouldn't have to worry about the mini-tower being jacked everytime I park.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:31 AM

I do have an iPad that could be of use?? I wonder if there is a way to allow the laptop to play server - but hide it under a seat or in the glovebox, then use the iPad as a KVM (keyboard video mouse) for the server, or use the iPad to RDP into the laptop? Just a thought - and I don't know if the apps to do that exist. I would hate to have to add a wireless network to my car.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by hilgeg
I do have an iPad that could be of use?? I wonder if there is a way to allow the laptop to play server - but hide it under a seat or in the glovebox, then use the iPad as a KVM (keyboard video mouse) for the server, or use the iPad to RDP into the laptop? Just a thought - and I don't know if the apps to do that exist. I would hate to have to add a wireless network to my car.
Sounds like a good idea... You could could setup a local wifi in ur truck. The app "Remote Desktop - RDP" in the App Store for iPad and iPhone is $6 and works over local networks. Haven't ever used it but it has good reviews.