GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

CB Recommendations??

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tofer
its a Cobra 20XTR. it has been discontinued but you may still be able to find it. non tuned with a just a 10 dollar antenna i am able to get about 3 miles clearly. works for me... plus its blue
The blue is what I like about it also. 3 miles isn't to bad with a cheap antenna.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:36 PM

I would check out garage sales, and Craigslist, people give away good CB's constantly I have picked up about 6 of them , a couple of which are cobras and nice radios for free, from random people and garage sales, and my neighbor gave me a few just because I had a huge antenna on my truck, and he wanted to get rid of them. As far as antenna I wouldn't skimp to much. I ran an old cobra 29 LTD my dad had laying in the garage from the 80's. I ran it through a 102" fiberglass whip mounted on the side of the truck behind the cab in my old truck and I could talk across town not sure how many miles, but Spokane is a good size town. Now I run it through I think a 48" firestick mounted on the side of the hood in my new truck, and I can hear maybe 50' to the passenger side of the truck and not really much at all to the driver side. Admittedly a 102" whip is overkill, and might be a pain if you drive under low trees, but I guess the point is the antenna makes a big difference my $0.02. they can be found used cheap
Old 06-03-2009, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by 94runnerfan
I would check out garage sales, and Craigslist, people give away good CB's constantly I have picked up about 6 of them , a couple of which are cobras and nice radios for free, from random people and garage sales, and my neighbor gave me a few just because I had a huge antenna on my truck, and he wanted to get rid of them. As far as antenna I wouldn't skimp to much. I ran an old cobra 29 LTD my dad had laying in the garage from the 80's. I ran it through a 102" fiberglass whip mounted on the side of the truck behind the cab in my old truck and I could talk across town not sure how many miles, but Spokane is a good size town. Now I run it through I think a 48" firestick mounted on the side of the hood in my new truck, and I can hear maybe 50' to the passenger side of the truck and not really much at all to the driver side. Admittedly a 102" whip is overkill, and might be a pain if you drive under low trees, but I guess the point is the antenna makes a big difference my $0.02. they can be found used cheap
I've been checking out Craigslist and ebay haven't found that unbelievable deal yet but i'm not in a huge hurry or anything. I'm planning getting a good antenna. sounds like you have a few sitting around you could always throw one of those my way...LOL.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:14 AM

when my family go out we use the garmin rhino 120 and have no problem whats is the difference, even driving on the interstate we still can talk??
Old 06-04-2009, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lummpus
I've been checking out Craigslist and ebay haven't found that unbelievable deal yet but i'm not in a huge hurry or anything. I'm planning getting a good antenna. sounds like you have a few sitting around you could always throw one of those my way...LOL.
To bad you didn't send this to me a week ago I was planning on getting rid, of the 102", but I decided to get another truck to put it on instead. Most of the radios I talked my freinds into putting in there cars a while back, otherwise I would definantly send one of. I am down to 2 cobras raadios, 2 antennas, and 1 mike haha got to fix that. Craigslist and ebay are good, but chances are if somebody took the time to list them they realize they are worth something, but you can find some on the cheap. Garage sales are my favorite rought, becasue people usually just want them out of there garage. If you are going to put a CB in your truck keep an eye out for a PA speaker on the cheap way to much fun.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:16 AM

I just talked to my step dad. I gave him a Cobra about 3 years ago. I got it from a fleet shop I worked at. I'm not sure the model # but he never put it in his truck so its just been sitting in a box in the garage. he was going to put it in his ford but now hes giving me the ford. so all I have to do is drive a hour to get it. then I just have to get a GOOD antenna. and figure out if I want to do the ashtray mount or under my radio. I'll make sure I take pics after the install.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:58 AM

I just talked to my step dad. I gave him a Cobra about 3 years ago. I got it from a fleet shop I worked at. I'm not sure the model # but he never put it in his truck so its just been sitting in a box in the garage. he was going to put it in his ford but now hes giving me the ford. so all I have to do is drive a hour to get it. then I just have to get a GOOD antenna. and figure out if I want to do the ashtray mount or under my radio. I'll make sure I take pics after the install.
Sounds like the price is right haha. My suggestions on the antenna is if it is you DD, and you are still planning the door jam mount I would put it on the passenger side. I mounted mine on the drivers behind the cab, and always regreted it I couldn't use drive up anything, which was much more annoying than I thought it would be parking garages can also be a pain, but I guess that depends on how big of an antenna you go with.

Last edited by 94runnerfan; 06-04-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by 94runnerfan
Sounds like the price is right haha. My suggestions on the antenna is if it is you DD, and you are still planning the door jam mount I would put it on the passenger side. I mounted mine on the drivers behind the cab, and always regreted it I couldn't use drive up anything, which was much more annoying than I thought it would be parking garages can also be a pain, but I guess that depends on how big of an antenna you go with.
Cool, thanks for the advise. I was already planning on mounting it on the pass side. but I never even considered drive thrus...lol. I don't even remember the last time I went into a parking garage.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:07 PM

pass side works well too. never thought about drive throughs, i always assumed that the ant. would hit the overhang no matter which side i mounted it on.

i mounted my 102" whip on the driver's side on a bracket hung off the frame for no other reason than i could reach the tie-down line from the window (without having to exit the vehicle).

parking garages are a daily thing for me, so anytime i can just reach out and pull down the antenna and tie it off w/o exiting the vehicle is a convenience.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:11 PM

after i get that i'll move it to the bumper. So should I run a ground wire from the frame to the mount or do you think it will ground ok on the body?
YMMV, and opinions may vary.

this is strictly my opinion and .02 - you can never have enough ground. even though the ant. can ground on the bracket mounted to the bumper, i always run a ground strap to frame.

some people even ground their hood, doors, tailgate or rear hatch all to a single point on the frame.

other people here have done the rear hatch mount, bumper mount, etc... w/o ground straps and they've had no problems. mostly, they are also running barefoot (no amplification).

i just figure why take chances - if you're running power (and some people run lots) it's fairly cheap insurance.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:48 PM

I got my CB install done check it out.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...talled-184035/
Old 06-09-2009, 02:37 PM

looks good!
Old 06-09-2009, 03:05 PM

If you have a 1st-gen 4Runner, the DIN-sized Cobra fits quite nicely in the pocket slot.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:25 AM

I just finished installing the Uniden 510. I originally had the small Cobra but through the slip of the drill during installation I sort of destroyed it. I had to open up the units and they definitely do not share the same parts. The Uniden has a metal case and seems to be overall a better construction.
Attached Thumbnails CB Recommendations??-p1010312.jpg   CB Recommendations??-p1010315.jpg