Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Viper alarm "reset" switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viper alarm "reset" switch

I have been fixing up some odds and ends on my truck and have a viper security alarm and auto start on my 99 runner. The reset switch when installed by previous owner was put on the panel just to the left of the drivers foot. As a result in the past several months since I reset the system last, the button has been kicked off and the switch is broken. I need to just replace the switch that is made up of two couple inch long wires that plug into a wire coming down from the alarm...at the other end of the two wires is the switch itself which is just a simple push button. Anyone know where I can get this part? It seems like a pretty common and simple switch and I dont think I need to go to Viper itself to acquire said switch.

Also on a side-note, the actually noise on the alarm stopped working several months ago. Ya know, it used to beep when locked and unlocked and when the alarm was set off, however now it never makes any noise at all. Any ideas or trouble shooting suggestions? This is one reason I want to replace the switch as I figure it may be helpful in trouble shooting the alarm noise issue.

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2005, 04:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
sometimes, i am amazed at questions/posts like this.

number 1: you dont even list the kind of viper alarm. how can anyone begin to start to help you with your questions?

number 2: re troubleshooting your alarm system depends on #1 above. also, wouldn't it be easier for you to go to the viper website, find the online manual, download it and then try to find the answer in the back of the manual itself?

sorry to bust your chops, but c'mon, post a question that someone can start to help you with and um, you gotta help yourself too

bob
Old 10-23-2005, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
sometimes, i am amazed at questions/posts like this.

number 1: you dont even list the kind of viper alarm. how can anyone begin to start to help you with your questions?

number 2: re troubleshooting your alarm system depends on #1 above. also, wouldn't it be easier for you to go to the viper website, find the online manual, download it and then try to find the answer in the back of the manual itself?

sorry to bust your chops, but c'mon, post a question that someone can start to help you with and um, you gotta help yourself too

bob
Thanks for the help, appreciate it!

It looked like a pretty common switch that would be fairly available outside of having to go directly to viper who probably overcharges for it, so I thought I would at least ask. It was such a simple switch that I am sure they use the same one on nearly all the viper alarms. Also, AS I MENTIONED the alarm was installed by previous owner, so I do not have ANY manual of any sort as the dealership removed it or the prev. owner removed it when the truck was brought in. I also cannot seem to find the brain for the thing so that makes it kind of hard to know what model it is to tell anyone here or to look for the right manual...I will see what I can do in terms of locating the brain.

I apologize as well, but sometimes I am amazed at posts like yours, as most people are pretty helpful on this site with people like myself who loves his truck, but is still learning about it.

What does "you gotta help yourself too" mean???

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:33 PM
Banned

i am 99 percent positive what you hit was the valet button. Its a red push button in that they put in the panel closest to the door? that turns off the chirping and other stuff. im sure you can just get a similar push button to make it work again, or even a toggle maybe. call DEI and ask them about it.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

if its just two wires running to a switch. go to radio shack and pick up a similiar switch set up. and wire it back in
Old 10-23-2005, 07:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by theryanator
Thanks for the help, appreciate it!

It looked like a pretty common switch that would be fairly available outside of having to go directly to viper who probably overcharges for it, so I thought I would at least ask. It was such a simple switch that I am sure they use the same one on nearly all the viper alarms. Also, AS I MENTIONED the alarm was installed by previous owner, so I do not have ANY manual of any sort as the dealership removed it or the prev. owner removed it when the truck was brought in. I also cannot seem to find the brain for the thing so that makes it kind of hard to know what model it is to tell anyone here or to look for the right manual...I will see what I can do in terms of locating the brain.
so how is the fact that someone installed the alarm system and didnt tell you the model # relevant to having someone on this forum answering your question?!?! what's the point of even bringing this up?

yes, the first thing you should've done is to look for the brain unit. if you dont know where it is, ask for advice on where it might be! im sure more than one person here would've told you to look somewhere under your dash panel. i wouldve probably advised the same. instead, you ask "Hey, I have generic alarm, no model #...where can i find generic switch that is about to break? oh, and by the way, it beeps and does this and that...how do you troubleshoot it?"

at the very least, i am glad to hear that you are going to attempt to find the brain unit. as i mentioned above, it is most likely under your dash panel. try looking for it tucked in somewhere in between ducts or in the center console. do you need instructions on how to remove the dash panel?

I apologize as well, but sometimes I am amazed at posts like yours, as most people are pretty helpful on this site with people like myself who loves his truck, but is still learning about it.
well i dont need to defend myself w/ regards to being "helpful" as much as you dont need to defend yourself in terms of asking a question that can't be answered

bob
Old 10-23-2005, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by sdastg1
if its just two wires running to a switch. go to radio shack and pick up a similiar switch set up. and wire it back in
Thanks LocalMotion and sdastg1, if you think it may be that simple then I will check it out and see how that works! Appreciate it!

Bob, no I wont bother you with questions about how to take off the dash console...I have done that a few times and have it down by now. Thanks .

Thanks again for the help ya'll, I will see what I can work out.