Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Stereo whining noise during accel

Old 12-10-2004, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo whining noise during accel

From the back speakers maybe woofer I am getting a whine noise. I am running an 1800 watt amp and have been wondering if its my ground for the amp. Any help?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've got only a little experience with this, but I would say it's either your ground for the amp or poorly shielded patch cords from the deck.....check those it always seemed to cure the motor noise for me...hope this helps
Old 12-11-2004, 04:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AW1090
I've got only a little experience with this, but I would say it's either your ground for the amp or poorly shielded patch cords from the deck.....check those it always seemed to cure the motor noise for me...hope this helps
I agree :bounce2:

Matt
Old 12-11-2004, 04:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I concur as well. Make sure your ground cable off of your amps is equal in gauge to your power cable. Also, ground cables should be pretty short if possible.

What kind of amp? - some are notoriously noisy.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cebby
I concur as well. Make sure your ground cable off of your amps is equal in gauge to your power cable. Also, ground cables should be pretty short if possible.

What kind of amp? - some are notoriously noisy.
lol ready to laugh. audio mobile. basically its a knockoff of the sony xplod crap
Old 05-02-2005, 12:47 PM

what if your amp makes a noutiously high pitch noise but if you push in on it it stops???

i grounded the amp to a bare metal spot under my seat with equal gauge wire to my power supply.

its like something inside the amp is grounding itself out?

maybe the previous owner dropped it and something inside is arcing?

i have no idea, i have access to another amp but its only 400 watts and im pushing 2 1200watt sony xplod's, so i dont think that would be as good as the 600, or so ive been told, can you tell im a car stereo noob or what? :p
Old 05-03-2005, 03:07 PM

I have personally had three different sound systems ranging from rather lame to mildly impressive as well as installed a few on the side. In all my experience the problem is a ground or as was stated earlier a poorly shielded patch cable. In all of my reading I have come to the conclusion that the RCA cable and the Power cable need to be run on opposite sides of the car, this will decrease electric interference and hopefully reduce the noise your amplifier is producing.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by toy_yoda
what if your amp makes a noutiously high pitch noise but if you push in on it it stops???

i grounded the amp to a bare metal spot under my seat with equal gauge wire to my power supply.

i have no idea, i have access to another amp but its only 400 watts and im pushing 2 1200watt sony xplod's, so i dont think that would be as good as the 600, or so ive been told, can you tell im a car stereo noob or what? :p
swap the amps and see if the sound is still there. If it isn't, then your amp could have a loose solder point on the inside. Disassemble it and check it out (if you feel comfortable doing that).

In all of my reading I have come to the conclusion that the RCA cable and the Power cable need to be run on opposite sides of the car, this will decrease electric interference and hopefully reduce the noise your amplifier is producing.
Not necessarily true. They can be run side by side with zero problems in most cases.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:39 PM

Find and old RCA cable and cut the ends off leaving enough wire to connect the inner and outer wire together. In effect a loop. This is called a muting plug.

take the RCA cables off your amp and plug the muting plug in. Turn your system on and listen for the noise.

If it is still there then there is an issue with your amp. Could be a bad ground (most likely) or internal problems.

If the noise is not there anymore, then there is an issue with the RCA cables you are using as your source signal. Replace them with a better set.

good luck
Old 05-25-2005, 05:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Toyrantula
Find and old RCA cable and cut the ends off leaving enough wire to connect the inner and outer wire together. In effect a loop. This is called a muting plug.

take the RCA cables off your amp and plug the muting plug in. Turn your system on and listen for the noise.

If it is still there then there is an issue with your amp. Could be a bad ground (most likely) or internal problems.

If the noise is not there anymore, then there is an issue with the RCA cables you are using as your source signal. Replace them with a better set.

good luck

Muting plug? This is something I have never heard of before. Could you please explain a bit further? Are you connecting the pole wire to the sheild wire on each channel of the RCA effictively shorting each channel out? What's the theory behind doing this? Thanks!
Old 05-25-2005, 05:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by toy_yoda

your amp itself may be producing the noise. Both of my older MTX 2300X's like to produce squeeling sounds directly from their power supplies. Tapping on the heatsink would make the squeeling sound change pitch, it was quite amusing, then later annoying...
Old 05-29-2005, 06:51 PM

Sorry, it took awhile to respond.

A muting plug is simply an RCA plug with the two conductors shorted together. Anyone can do this with a pig tail, by splicing the wiring with a crimp. Soldering the pins together is better.

Just remember: DO NOT CONNECT THE MUTING PLUGS TO THE OUTPUT!!!

The only purpose of the muting plug is to zero the input signal at the line level INPUTS......It will short the output stages of the HU or whatever else, since it is indeed a shorted plug.

It helps to find out if the amplifiers chassis is causing a grounding problem or if the amplifier is grounding itself through the good RCA cables.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:31 PM

go to walmart's automotive section.

by the audio display will be a few installation tools and parts.

look for a GROUND LOOP ISOLATOR.

for the loooooooongest time, i had quality equipment. but i was chasing an alternator whine from hell.

a few years when CAR STEREO REVIEW was a still a kick ass magazine (read: 90's), wayne harris of then, rockford fosgate wrote a 2 page article on eliminating whine.

i mean, it had everything.

so i did everything listed on it.

finally, i gave in, and bought a set of ground loop isolator.

i swear. this thing is a magical device! whine was almost gone. i mean i have to listen to a zero bits Cd track and crank the volume close to 90-95% of max just to hear a whine over the engine (remember, no whine if the engine aint running... lol...)

back then, that was enough to gain 0 or maybd 1-2 points deductions when competiting...
Old 06-02-2005, 02:47 PM

Could also look into getting a line driver like Audiocontrol or Phoenix Gold has. Boost the output signal of the deck. Just another thing to think about.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:50 AM

Make Sure That The Power Cable And The Rca Cables Are Run On Different Sides Of The Vehicle!!!
Old 06-22-2005, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by BASSMAN
Make Sure That The Power Cable And The Rca Cables Are Run On Different Sides Of The Vehicle!!!
You brought back a dead post for that?

In most cases you can run the power and signal cables side by side without any chance of noise.