Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Stereo poping/crackling Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo poping/crackling Issues

So my toyota has an older pioneer deck good speakers, will be taking pictures soon. But having an issue with the sound and really needing help, So it sounds great in the rear two speakers 6x9 but all the front four speakers are having a screeching/poping sound when loud especially if song has a lot of bass . To be honest I thought they were blown so I pulled them out and tested them, the one I tested is a 4x6 Pioneer in the door (which I assumed was blown), and it sounded great hooked up to an exterior sound source outside the truck, so then I believed it was the deck so I checked the fuses and motherboard all seemed good, so then I checked the wiring to the speakers and all was good, so I'm guessing it may be a ground issue or getting power through the speaker wire, possibly something else? Hopefully someone else has had an issue like this and can add some feedback and if someone could get me a wiring diagram or at least show me or tell where the ground leads to for the stereo that would be very helpful. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:48 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by GrizzlyGreenKid
So my toyota has an older pioneer deck good speakers, will be taking pictures soon. But having an issue with the sound and really needing help, So it sounds great in the rear two speakers 6x9 but all the front four speakers are having a screeching/poping sound when loud especially if song has a lot of bass . To be honest I thought they were blown so I pulled them out and tested them, the one I tested is a 4x6 Pioneer in the door (which I assumed was blown), and it sounded great hooked up to an exterior sound source outside the truck, so then I believed it was the deck so I checked the fuses and motherboard all seemed good, so then I checked the wiring to the speakers and all was good, so I'm guessing it may be a ground issue or getting power through the speaker wire, possibly something else? Hopefully someone else has had an issue like this and can add some feedback and if someone could get me a wiring diagram or at least show me or tell where the ground leads to for the stereo that would be very helpful. Thanks.
Stock mounting and grille? Maybe something in or around the rear mounting resonates or cone is hitting something? Tried playing it wired to deck but not mounted in the rear?
Old 05-21-2013, 09:20 PM

I seem to be having a similar issue with my setup.

I have a older sony deck, running to a 4 channel amp, an 8" sub, and components in the doors (2 - 6-1/2 and tweeters.) Because my deck doesnt have an aux in, I had to split the 4 line-in rca's on the amp with a 4 y-splitters to retain my stereo line in, and be able to add a stereo plug to rca cable so i can plug in an ipod / my phone / etc that bypasses the deck. (I have to control volume with the audio source rather than the deck. Basically the deck is only used for the amp on signal.) Maybe I should draw a picture....

Im wondering if my stereo plug output from my phone is too much for the line in signal and if i need to switch it over to speaker level input... Im gonna look at it this weekend.

If I remember, I will post back with what I find.

Last edited by slo6i; 05-21-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by slo6i
I seem to be having a similar issue with my setup.

I have a older sony deck, running to a 4 channel amp. An 8" sub. and components in the doors (2 - 6-1/2 and tweeters.) Because my deck doesnt have an aux in, I had to split the line out rca's with a crap ton of y splitters (to retain my stereo input as well) to the inputs on the amp.

Im wondering if my stereo plug output from my phone is too much for the line in signal and if i need to switch it over to speaker level input... Im gonna look at it this weekend.

If I remember, I will post back with what I find.
I actually just ended up fixing my sound system. But I was not running an amp, I actually had a ground/switched 12v issue that was causing my deck to overheat (you can see if it is hot by checking the resister plate on the back of the deck) and it was send currents through my speaker wire. So I decied to rewire it all and put in new 4x6s in the doors and two tweeters under dash. Main thing I'd do if I was running an amp would be check all the grounds with a voltage meter cause that could cause feedback and also and I would switch to the speaker level input to see if there is a difference. Also I would disconnect the amp and run straight stereo to see if you're having the same issues that way you know if it is the amp or not and you don't spend a few un needed extra hours under the dash. Anyways, good luck with it man and tell me what you find out.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Stock mounting and grille? Maybe something in or around the rear mounting resonates or cone is hitting something? Tried playing it wired to deck but not mounted in the rear?
Thanks for the input bro, I got it solved. Before I bought it the deck had an ground and a switched 12v ran to an amp....long story short before I bought it and the amp was removed whoever pulled the amp didn't rewire the deck to the original switched 12v and ground.