Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

No FM stations w new headunit.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No FM stations w new headunit.

I searched and can not seem to figure this out. I have a 93 pickup sr5 that had an old Sony cd player in it. It worked fine until the stock antenna broke so i replaced it w an aftermarket one. The antenna shows that it powers up but I only got like 4 stations. I replaced the head unit with a new JVC player and had the same issue but now i received 0 radio stations. I replaced the old new antenna with a more expensive aftermarket antenna and now i am back to the original 4 stations. Is there an antenna booster wire or something of the like that i missed when installing the headunit? Im hoping its a simply wiring issue. I am trying not to spend the money on a new oem antenna just to find out I missed connecting a wire. Every search I do for the wiring diagram shows that my year truck did not have an antenna booster/powered antenna wire ...which doesnt make sense because I obviously had a power antenna. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I figured it out. The aftermarket power antenna was receiving interference from the frame. Apparently the instructions stated that it had to be at minimum 2" away from any solid metal structure. Weird but I moved it from the drivers side windshield by the A-pillar to the passenger side windshield parallel with the wiper blade. Works flawlessly. On a different note. I just installed a Cerwin Vega vpas10 Powered enclosed sub, under the seat. Sounds GREAT.