Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

93 Xtra Cab Rear Speaker Help w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 06:26 AM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
93 Xtra Cab Rear Speaker Help w/ Pics

I'm looking to upgrade my rear Xtra Cab Factory Box speakers. They have sick base, ok highs, but awful mids -- prob from being so old. It looks like I can buy the box with speakers from the dealer for $175/per but I'd really prefer to replace w/ aftermarket speaker...

Are the rear factory box speakers 4Ts? Or larger?

-the shiny on edges of speaker mount are from removing the foam sound strips that were crumbling

Compared to the Alpine 4" speakers with very large magnets for the size, the factory speakers have probably 30-50% larger magnets.

As you can see, the Alpine speaker's magnet covers about 75% of their speaker face, while the factory speaker magnets cover entire

And here's an Alpine in the rear speaker box:

I didn't fully seal between the speaker and the box, but the Alpine's bass as was temporarily installed -- moved them to the front and they sound great there -- is maybe 60% of what the factory speaker puts out. Got a lot of static/sound being compromised with these in the box with amp at similar levels that factory speaker handles well.

So I'm primarily looking for something that can replicate the bass that the factory speaker puts out with a speaker that will direct or fit with minor modification here. (Please don't suggest crutchfield, they suggest 4" speakers only for rear and Alpine looked to be the best option...). I would like to keep the factory boxes. And I also don't want to add anything else besides these rear box speakers.

Has anyone run 5 1/4s in these rear boxes? If so recommendations on speakers?

Is the factory Toyota speaker available through an OEM or other seller?

Or any other ideas?

And just fyi --
my head unit is a Toyota factory unit out of a newer toyota with CD player and cassette. The rears are the factory speaker boxes with independent amps (why Toyota thought amps on only the rear is beyond me, terrible sound dynamics without severely adjusting the fade -- I run with my fade at Front +5 with Alpines, used to be +6 with previous owner's clarions). I'm eventually going to run a front 2 channel amp to my front Alpine's so I don't have to crank on the volume button so much to adjust sound but that's not a priority right now.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by RSR; 05-21-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:33 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bump on the rear xtra box speakers.