Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

2003 stereo upgrade (steering wheel control compatible)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 stereo upgrade (steering wheel control compatible)

hello all

recently picked up a 2003 sienna XLE (i know, i know) but 2003s should all be fairly similar in terms of controls, etc.... anyway, i would like to upgrade the stereo (head unit) upgrade:

-a real plus would be something with gps navigation. preference would be for something that can still work with the steering wheel controls (which afaik are the same across 2003 models) has anybody done this? any recommendations?

-if the GPS thing gets too complicated (or expensive) i'd like to replace the busted stock system (we have the jbl speakers) with something that will still work with the steering wheel controls. any recommendations?

thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would assume that everything would work if you purchased a wiring harness plug to wire the radio to.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a gps / 7 inch screen in a 99 sienna for about a week. It had more issues than I wanted to deal with ..
Not sure on an 03 if the stereo location is the same, but on my 99 it was to low . I spent more time runing off the road screwing around trying to change the station / track .. it was dangerous. Seriously. Id suggest a unit with remote. If you wanna keep the steering remote there's an adaptor you gotta get, around 100 bucks. Seems pricy to me. Its called a sw pac or something like that. So my van had the premium stereo "pre amped" you can't use the factory amp with any unit, it just gets taken outta the loop. Once you install if you have one you'll see what I mean. The wiring only works without the amp.
So I dumped my unit and kept factory.

These were the drawbacks,
1 location of the unit too low. Its seriously dangerous , I almost wrecked like 10 times playing with it.
2 100 bucks to keep factory steering wheel remote seemed too pricy. I only paid 150 for the unit.
3 my factory unit with amp was louder and sounded better. Plus I had steering wheel remote. And I didn't swerve of the road everytime I changed the raidio station.
So it can be done, if your going to add your own amps it might be worth it. I just didn't feel like having a grand worth of stuff hooked up in a mini van. I traded my van stright up for a 4runner and couldn't be happier. Some pregnant lady with 80 kids needed a van, and I needed something that was not a van. ; ) just trying to give you the heads up on the nav install. Good luck
Old 02-05-2013, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
almost every aftermarket stereo will be compatable with the steering wheel controls, but you will need an adaptor. steering wheel control adapters will run you about $100 at most stereo shops. ( i have one for sale for cheaper, message me if interested) Most aftermarket steering wheel controls are pretty simple to install, the one i have is typically 3-4 wires and auto programs in most cases.