The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Single Cab Roof Rack, Just A Thought

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Name:  untitled-3-1.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  13.1 KB

i kinda had an idea of having like a removable tent deal for the back of your truck that would be able to fit in like a duffle bag idk i would be able to make it in welding but idk if i want to
Old 11-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Looks like a cool idea davo... kind of like a fastback treatment... or the canvas top hummers... You could try talking to a Marine Canvas [boat top] place they could come up with something easily.

Just saw you're in Montana... a boat topper place might be hard to find in your neck of the woods...

Last edited by aviator; 11-15-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:22 AM

On that fastback like tent setup, how would the tent interact with the back of the cab? it would have to snug up against it to keep out wind and water but it then the whole thing would cover your rear view and your third brake light(illegal in my pretentious state of Mass). Its a sweet idea, and i'm interested in it for my truck, but some modifications and details need to be thought over i guess is what i'm saying
Old 11-15-2009, 10:34 AM

ya idk ill probibly make one just for s&g's lol but i dont have a 3rd brake light and i think it would have like 3 inch of clearence between it and the cab but it would have a flexible clear plastic so you could see out the rear
Old 03-25-2012, 08:10 AM

This roof rack idea is similar to what I was thinking about for our rally.

One thing I am curious about though, is it better to stack the tires in the truck bed on their side or is it better to stand the tires up and back them against the cab then use a toolbox to hold the tires there/strap them so the tires don't roll around.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 2012MongolRally
This roof rack idea is similar to what I was thinking about for our rally.

One thing I am curious about though, is it better to stack the tires in the truck bed on their side or is it better to stand the tires up and back them against the cab then use a toolbox to hold the tires there/strap them so the tires don't roll around.
Size wise I don't think you'd get more than one of them stood up against the cab in a single line behind the tool box... stacking them flat on the floor might be the best way and would keep the C of G a bit lower... You'd need to make sure they we're well secured down so they don't come loose and bounce out...
Old 01-26-2015, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by paynemw
hey, I actually did some research/planned up a project like that when I had my single cab chevy 1500 AND I actually found a picture of a dude who did one... let me dig it up.... But this is what I had to think about when doing it. 1. are you going to want to spend the time and money to do all that tube framing on the cab of your truck? and will the construction of the sliders be able to withstand the weight of your load on the rack as well as the beating from the rocks...
The idea that My dad threw at me was why not think up something that you can attach to to your bed using the stock holes at the corners.... and i'm not sure if your bed has holes halfway down the bed.... but I came to the conclusion to use some kind of angle iron that sits against the inside edge of the railing and have 4 posts run up to approximately 2 inches above the cab (because your frame flexes and you dont want to mess up the roof of your cab) plus you can have more of the roof rack hanging over the front portion of your bed and not as much over your cab (cab and bed are made separate because they flex independently of each other so having it all connected would concern me)..... so put more weight in the back.... and I'm guessing you don't want it too far back because you like having an open space around the bed... I also incorporated a toolbox that sat over the angle iron... but heres that picture
If I wanted to make the same roof rack but had a 94 Toyota tacoma access cab, how would I start it ?
Old 09-25-2018, 05:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Roof rack

I mean? It's off a 4runner.

I use em for powder hound board clips in the winter.