The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Single Cab Roof Rack, Just A Thought

Old 09-14-2009, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single Cab Roof Rack, Just A Thought

So here is an idea,single cab roof rack.. very rough drawing and its not all
perfect but open to anything you got to say about it.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:49 PM

i like how its tied in, and i believe it was uhmmm conferr? who use to make the single cab roof racks.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it's pretty cool but I think I would move your rear support bar back to give more support to the rear of the basket like this this , IT IS PAINT SO IT SUCKS BUT YOU CAN GET THE IDEA

Old 09-15-2009, 03:05 PM

i think that would be sooo sick! looks like a lot of work though
i say go for it!
Old 09-15-2009, 03:42 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
If going for roof rack like that you might aswell design it to act as an exo too. Just a little more bracing, better check legal side of it though. Heard some states really started cracking down on exos though.

Like the idea though.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:47 PM

Id put some tubing on the back of the rack near the corners angling down into the inside floor corners of the bed near the tailgate so you could mount your spare tire and a high lift...but thats just me..

Name:  untitled.jpg
Views: 1816
Size:  67.2 KB

Last edited by bain; 09-15-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:06 PM

i think that'd be pretty freakin sweet!
Old 09-15-2009, 04:11 PM

hey, I actually did some research/planned up a project like that when I had my single cab chevy 1500 AND I actually found a picture of a dude who did one... let me dig it up.... But this is what I had to think about when doing it. 1. are you going to want to spend the time and money to do all that tube framing on the cab of your truck? and will the construction of the sliders be able to withstand the weight of your load on the rack as well as the beating from the rocks...
The idea that My dad threw at me was why not think up something that you can attach to to your bed using the stock holes at the corners.... and i'm not sure if your bed has holes halfway down the bed.... but I came to the conclusion to use some kind of angle iron that sits against the inside edge of the railing and have 4 posts run up to approximately 2 inches above the cab (because your frame flexes and you dont want to mess up the roof of your cab) plus you can have more of the roof rack hanging over the front portion of your bed and not as much over your cab (cab and bed are made separate because they flex independently of each other so having it all connected would concern me)..... so put more weight in the back.... and I'm guessing you don't want it too far back because you like having an open space around the bed... I also incorporated a toolbox that sat over the angle iron... but heres that picture
Attached Thumbnails Single Cab Roof Rack, Just A Thought-toyota.jpg   Single Cab Roof Rack, Just A Thought-toyota1.jpg  

Last edited by paynemw; 09-15-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by paynemw
hey, I actually did some research/planned up a project like that when I had my single cab chevy 1500 AND I actually found a picture of a dude who did one... let me dig it up.... But this is what I had to think about when doing it. 1. are you going to want to spend the time and money to do all that tube framing on the cab of your truck? and will the construction of the sliders be able to withstand the weight of your load on the rack as well as the beating from the rocks...
The idea that My dad threw at me was why not think up something that you can attach to to your bed using the stock holes at the corners.... and i'm not sure if your bed has holes halfway down the bed.... but I came to the conclusion to use some kind of angle iron that sits against the inside edge of the railing and have 4 posts run up to approximately 2 inches above the cab (because your frame flexes and you dont want to mess up the roof of your cab) plus you can have more of the roof rack hanging over the front portion of your bed and not as much over your cab..... so put more weight in the back.... and I'm guessing you don't want it too far back because you like having an open space around the bed... I also incorporated a toolbox that sat over the angle iron... but heres that picture

thats your truck?!!

i saw it in, uhm whats that magazine, off road adventures, actually i just looked it up and im looking at it now. the 2004 easter jeep safari, ive always wondered whos truck that was, its sick!
Old 09-15-2009, 04:22 PM

no dude, not at all HAHA... i just found pictures of that truck
Old 09-15-2009, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by paynemw
no dude, not at all HAHA... i just found pictures of that truck
dang, it thought you were saying that was your truck D:

i cannot figure out whos truck that is!!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 05:10 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
If you tie into the frame DO NOT tie into body as well, they flex differently..

So what bain suggested would be a bad idea IMO

Old 09-15-2009, 05:44 PM

i think it looks freakin sweet!!! but paynemw has a good point with mountin it to the sliders
Old 09-15-2009, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by bain
Id put some tubing on the back of the rack near the corners angling down into the inside floor corners of the bed near the tailgate so you could mount your spare tire and a high lift...but thats just me..

Yes i like that better!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by scuba
If you tie into the frame DO NOT tie into body as well, they flex differently..

So what bain suggested would be a bad idea IMO

he could go through the bed to the frame
Old 09-16-2009, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

If you go with the first design you could rig the slider mounts with pins so you could remove the basket when you did'nt need it. That kind of thing adds so much wind resistance it will kill your fuel economy.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:48 PM

Thats awsome, I was thinking of making up a rack to go above the roof a few inches but bolted down to the bed with something like 3 or 4 inch square tubing so I could mount things to it and have it double as a roll bar, with the rack hanging from it.

Any how, I really like your design too. How about adding diamond plate to the "floor" of it, might make putting things up there more secure?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:23 AM

If you're just doing this for the extra cargo space and not the exo, couldn't you put a yakima bar over the cab and a moveable, clamp-on type bed rack in the bed but have it slid foward to support the basket? I'm thinking about the same thing right now but I need something that can support a canoe but be moved foward to also support a basket if needed. My problem with the bed rack is that I haven't found one that will also work with a Supertop.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:59 PM
VLP

I was thinking of a way to do something like that to my 90 single cab.
My idea was to build a cab exo (planned on it eventually anyway) then extend it out much like the pic that was altered in paint. Once completed then run relatively thin thule mounts and bars on top (in the event of the truck being on its side, it would not completely destroy the bars/rack hanging over the sides) things like lights, gear carrier, rack, ect. could be mounted on thule rack for camping trips and such, but everything would be removable leaving just the exo for rock climbing and day trips. Also looking into dimensions of rooftop tents, not sure tho.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:33 PM

so did he ever do it or? did he just stop getting on

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Single Cab Roof Rack, Just A Thought