The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Power rear window in my 1987 yota

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power rear window in my 1987 yota

Recently picked up an 87 yota to work on and it has a power rear window which the motor is going out and I'm trying to find what motor it is so I can replace it. Apparently these widows were made as kits and are aftermarket therefor I can't just walk into NAPA and get a new one, and ideas or input for me?
Old 01-15-2017, 07:11 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
More info is required for a definitive answer.. you know like the actual vehicle make and model ..

However the motor isn't that special, most any Japanese motor from the era will swap in or be forced to work.

Has it failed completely, have you cleaned and relubed the assembly?
Old 01-15-2017, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
More info is required for a definitive answer.. you know like the actual vehicle make and model ..

However the motor isn't that special, most any Japanese motor from the era will swap in or be forced to work.

Has it failed completely, have you cleaned and relubed the assembly?
the truck is a 1987 Toyota Pickup 4x4 and it has not failed completely, it's getting power but just not enough to raise/lower the window on its own. Was thinking of taking the motor into a electrical store and seeing about rebuilding it.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:35 PM

OK a custom pickup window makes more sense. That really could be almost anything, untill you get eyes on it who knows what's down there. Hopefully it's just a customized regulator. Best "worst" case scenario it's going to have a strange gearbox on the end of the motor.

Photos when you tear into it please, this could be interesting.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:40 AM

Where the motor mounts

Old 01-16-2017, 09:31 AM

Seems worth the effort to clean up the mechanicals and relube, it's pretty crusty on both parts. Once those are fresh you can re assess if the motor needs more help, cleaning the contacts on the spindle is really easy. the brushes and bushing/bearing could be a standard size but might not be easy to locate.