The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Need pics or designs to build tube bumpers

Old 04-21-2004, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sure hope you're not talking about welding low grade pipe to a CAST elbow! Thank god it's only a bumper, cause that's piss poor advice safety-wise...

Well figured it was coming, but... The sliders on my truck are made of the same stuff, Cast does not weld like normal steel. Weld elbows are made of the same stuff as the pipe. I dont think cast can even weld by arc. I think it has to be cooked. Thats why sprinklers are threaded and coupled. The sliders have done very well. Did the high lift test one em too ( raise up about 3 foot and drive off on a rock, no dents or twisting)

Guess what, the old guy is wrong. Pound for pound (as in similar wall thickness) structural tubing is much stronger than pipe.
Structual tubing is bored correct? So the old man told me, Not welded seam, that would make it stronger, and costly. Cant affored bored tube here

Actually it would be 4.7625mm,
Oh yeah for got 2.54 thing opps, meant hundredths

to preheat or cool the tubing, if you're a competent welder it will hold up just fine
Learned the cooling thing from an old welder who welded Nuclear, Hasent fallen out yet

But thanks for the other lessons, learned bunch thanks

Last edited by sportJr; 04-21-2004 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:09 PM

Oh yeah not a competent welder either, just a rod burner
Old 04-21-2004, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by sportJr
Structual tubing is bored correct? Not welded seam
Almost all steel tubing is welded seam, some of which are further worked after the weld step such as DOM. Extruded (true seamless) tube is way beyond overkill, I'm not even sure if or where you'd be able to find it in sizes suitable for this purpose.

Learned the cooling thing from an old welder who welded Nuclear
You're comparing apples and oranges man, 4wheeling isn't rocket science. Just because he can build a reactor cooling system doesn't mean he can build a safe roll cage.
Oh yeah not a competent welder either, just a rod burner
Hey, we all start somewhere. Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice...
Old 04-21-2004, 09:32 PM

Hey BigBadBlue

Let me know how that works. i was looking at the exact same one, so let me know. Thanks
Old 04-21-2004, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Serith
Hey BigBadBlue

Let me know how that works. i was looking at the exact same one, so let me know. Thanks
will do. Hey were you interested in joining some of us at the Moses Lake ORV & Beverly Dunes for some wheelin? Its gonna be a blast, your more than welcome to join us. Everyones more than welcome to. Ben
Old 04-22-2004, 02:29 PM

You're comparing apples and oranges man, 4wheeling isn't rocket science. Just because he can build a reactor cooling system doesn't mean he can build a safe roll cage.

Not quite where I was going with that really, He is a Certifed welder, Needed to weld on the Nuke projects, he was just saying to have a more flexable weld, you cool it slow. It is a good idea for roll cages just for the fact that a strong blow will bend and not snap. He was just giving me some pointers when I was doing my sliders.

Last edited by sportJr; 04-22-2004 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:43 PM

BigBadBlue,

give me a date, and i'll consider it, depending on how things go, school and work. i know you guys are just kinda wingin it, but a rough date would be nice, im gonna try to join you at reiter.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Serith
BigBadBlue,

give me a date, and i'll consider it, depending on how things go, school and work. i know you guys are just kinda wingin it, but a rough date would be nice, im gonna try to join you at reiter.
I would say if no bones or rigs are broken I will be there on May 7th.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:49 AM

Anymore designs/pics for a 2nd generation front bumper?? I have found someone who fabbed a bumper for his 2wd and it looks awesome. Any ideas would be great (I promise not to steal them, just looking for comparisons to my own ideas.) Thanks!
:walk:
Old 06-20-2004, 11:57 AM
Rugby10

If you have a bender, I hear (pirate 4x4) that this software is pretty good.

http://www.2020softwaresolutions.com/index.htm

They have 70 or so templates, a material library, and lots of other cool functions.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:59 PM

When are you guys going to Moses Lake?