The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Intake/battery swap plus custom snorkel

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 02:15 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Yeah, only bc vitaly put the hammer down. Chop chop!
Old 01-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Update, 10JAN10

Progress!!!

Today I got my new battery tray fabricated and mounted. I also modified my radiator overflow bottle mount bracket a smidgen to allow for the factory battery hold down bar to bolt to the existing nut that's there in the core support. The tray is held to the body by four bolts with fender washers and I put rubber stripping between the tray and body for some vib damping. I do have to add some small things to the battery tray and of course paint it. It is fully installed and holding the battery VERY securely!

I'm very happy with how it turned out. So, with the tray "done" and the filter box complete all that's left is to begin the wiring job.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:53 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
pics or it didn't happen!!!!
Old 01-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah yeah, Ill throw some up tomorrow! I was to busy juggling kids and trying to not set the house on fire to grab a camera!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys are a trip..lol Subscribed..Not only do i wanna see the intake/batt swap + snorkel..I wanna see who finishes first..
Old 01-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Contributing Member

lol, thanks banger! This will be educational AND entertaining!!
Old 01-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Update, 16JAN10

I did make some progress today mechanically, but not so much electrically.

Here's the new battery tray I made up. Still needs to be painted but I do like how it turned out. Simple. You can also note where I trimmed down the overflow mount to allow for the OEM battery hold down to clear and mount to the existing anchor nut. I may replace the little hose off the cap there with a longer one so it's doesn't dump all over the battery.

Here's a shot from the wheel well and the four mounting bolts with fender washers.

I began the fender exit air hose tubing adapter access hole by marking a base line off the filter box inlet. Since I'm WAY to cheap to buy a hole saw, I went ahead and drilled 1/2" holes in the perimeter and then used tin snips to remove whats left of the metal.

I then took my grinder and rounded out the hole being careful not to take out any wiring. I had some wee lattle rubber hose from who knows when and slit it down the middle as straight as I could. After I cut it down to size I pushed it over the edges of the hole to make one big grommet. I got the wiring loom to cooperate by gently massaging the thick wires and relocating one of the loom ties that's on the core support behind the windshield washer reservoir.

With the plastic fender liner removed you can see the exit.

WAH WAH WAAAAAAAH... <sigh> Well, apparently, I was a liiiiittle over zealous in my box fabrication. I thought that I had clearanced the original mockup foam box enough. I imagine that I did, but forgot to compensate for the hose adapters for the intake tube.

So, basically I have to come up with something REALLY clever to mate the intake up with the TB. idk. Also, I still have to replace the upper radiator hose and cut/modify that for my aux temp sender. Oh, and do the electrical too! LOL!!!

I also noticed that the aluminum rivnuts that I used for the box lid are, well, crap. We'll see how long they last. I may try to tighten them up being careful not to crack the fiberglass OR just make a new lid that clamps down or something. I'm a little concerned that the inlet on the filter box maybe too small still...

So, vitaly, how's that bumper of yours??
Old 01-16-2010, 07:57 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
that battery tray looks good , and that hose trick is a good idea..
good luck on the connecting the mass to the throttle body..
Old 01-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks man! I got more tricks up my sleeve with this so keep watching!! lol!
Old 01-17-2010, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool so your flip floping the locations......

do you plan to run a snokel out of some sort?

as far as hooking up that plumbing go to home depot and get some FERNCO ELBOWS they should work you might have to speical order a short sweep fernco elbow through a plumbing supply shop dependingon your measurements....

battery tray looks good and stout dont want your battery flopping around when you flop could arc and cause a fire losing the rig entirely due to a trail fire
Old 01-17-2010, 09:36 AM

are you running a autometer temp gauge?

I hooked mine to the drain cock on the block, rear, driver side fits like a glove
Old 01-17-2010, 09:39 AM

on the plumbing too maybe try a "PVC hub x spigot elbow" with 2 "No hub bands" PVC is paintable
Old 01-17-2010, 09:57 AM

Nice work, good progress!! You are running out of real estate in there. Maybe if you had the "puppy filter" like I have then you wouldn't be running into this problem.

Sounds like bob has a line on how to get you connected again.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Plumbrbob
cool so your flip floping the locations......

do you plan to run a snokel out of some sort?

as far as hooking up that plumbing go to home depot and get some FERNCO ELBOWS they should work you might have to special order a short sweep fernco elbow through a plumbing supply shop depending on your measurements....

battery tray looks good and stout dont want your battery flopping around when you flop could arc and cause a fire losing the rig entirely due to a trail fire
Note to self: get a fire extinguisher...lol! Yeah, that battery isn't going anywhere.
Yup, gonna try and running some tube inside the fender and out the cowling. We'll see. I'll try to make it to homedepot today and look for some fernco stuff.

are you running a autometer temp gauge?

I hooked mine to the drain cock on the block, rear, driver side fits like a glove
Nope running VDO guages/senders. My temp sender is in the upper rad hose.

on the plumbing too maybe try a "PVC hub x spigot elbow" with 2 "No hub bands" PVC is paintable
I have no idea what that is...lol! I'll write that down and see what I can find.

Originally Posted by kiyobrown
Nice work, good progress!! You are running out of real estate in there. Maybe if you had the "puppy filter" like I have then you wouldn't be running into this problem.

Sounds like bob has a line on how to get you connected again.

Thanks! Yeah, it's a little tighter than I remembered! LOL!

Last edited by BigBluePile; 01-17-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:53 PM

just so you know they make three types of DWV elbows

vent 90 - which is a very quick bend

regular 90 - which has a shallow bend

sweeping 90 - which has a deep sweeping bend

A spigot x hub vent 90 may just work shaving down the fitting may be needed but this fitting may be hard to find try Ferguson Enterprises or Keller supply if home depot and lowes fail you

now I measured the intakes OD it seems to be 2 7/8" thats not common to plumbing pipe

2" pipe OD is 2 1/2"
3" pipe OD is 3 1/2"

but a fernco rubber coupling can be heated to strectch if too small ( a bigger hose clamp is typically needed) or ratchet down on the hose clamp to seal if to big ( a smaller hose clamp is typically needed)

So I am saying I think a 2" rubber fernco regular 90 may work

or 2 - 2" rubber ferncos and a spigot x hub PVC or ABS 2" vent or regular 90

good luck man

Btw my EFI wiring is done on to the plumbing now wahoo!

Last edited by Plumbrbob; 01-17-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:55 PM

oh yea you may be able to find something in the water pipe section 2 1/2" PVC 90 but connecting it may be diffucult you will have to stretch or shrink a fernco
Old 01-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

Rob, sounds good. I'll take a look at home depot and see what they have, maybe my local Ace might have something. Thanks for all the suggestions! If I can go with something rubber(fernco?) that will make it easier.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:46 PM

fernco is the brand name of the fitting..its basically a rubber fitting or rubber coupling.... ace is spendy and limited on stock but its worth a try if its close by
Old 01-17-2010, 06:50 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
damn blue... you're killin me!!! I go to spend a week with family, and you get all this done??? damn.
The following users liked this post:
BigBluePile (02-25-2023)
Old 01-17-2010, 06:57 PM

I told you this weekend trip could turn the tides on the mod race. But sounds like you got the materials to get going now!
The following users liked this post:
BigBluePile (02-25-2023)

Quick Reply: Intake/battery swap plus custom snorkel